ITM dream team?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
whistleman922
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

ITM dream team?

Post by whistleman922 »

This has to be a topic that has come up before but as I don't have the leisure to go through the entire history of this forum I hope no one minds me bringing it up again (if it has in fact ever come up). Okay, disclaimer over.

I was wondering what you all think would be the best possible ITM band (made up of living musicians) that there could be. Whether you have a particular combination of instruments in mind or if you just name you favorite musicians on each of the standard instruments (flute, fiddle, guitar, etc...) I though this might bring up some names that i you might not find in just the flute or whistle forums. I'll let you get started before i offer my humble opinions.

Oh, and if you happen to think that an existing band IS your dream-team then feel free to let us know, I will say, for example, that the original Solas lineup was, IMO, the greatest lineup assembled to date. I'm not saying that i have some ideas for a better one, but as it was they were absolutely fantastic.

Cheers!
Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.~terry pratchett
Anita's Dad
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Well, to start with...

Post by Anita's Dad »

Get as many members of the Vallely clan as possible...

Including spouses...

This lineup comes close...

Or maybe this lot

But overall, this comes as close to my "dream team" as I've ever heard live:
(sorry for the fuzzy image...)(Williams, Carroll, Casey, O'Brien, Powell, Doyle)
whistleman922

Post by whistleman922 »

Nice!! i can't really argue with that. As for existing bands I'd have to say that Flook is my all time favorite. but here's my favorite by instrument...
Flute: Seamus Egan
Whistle:Brian Finnegan
Fiddle: Liz Carrol
Accordion/concertina: John Williams
Bodhran: John joe Kelly
Guitar: John Doyle
Karen Casey: Vocals
Honorable mentions: Michael McGoldrick(flute), Ed Boyd(guitar), Tyler Duncan(whistle), Jesse Mason(guitar), Aidan O'Rourke(fiddle), Tom doorley (flute),

haha, i know my selections are limited to just a few bands but they are all famous for a reason=) I'm sure some more will occur to me later but this'll do for now.
Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.~terry pratchett
jsluder

Re: ITM dream team?

Post by jsluder »

whistleman922 wrote:I will say, for example, that the original Solas lineup was, IMO, the greatest lineup assembled to date.
No offense to Winifred Horan, who is a fine fiddler, but I've often thought that the original Solas lineup would've been nearly perfect if they'd had Eileen Ivers on fiddle.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
whistleman922

Post by whistleman922 »

agreed. Winnie is an amazing fiddle player and one of the sweetest people you could ever meet, but there are better. I'm not sure if you could have got the blend that they had though. She and doyle and seamus and john williams had such an amazing dynamic. There's no telling how different their music would have been without her influence in the arrangements.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

whistleman922 wrote:agreed. Winnie is an amazing fiddle player and one of the sweetest people you could ever meet, but there are better. I'm not sure if you could have got the blend that they had though. She and doyle and seamus and john williams had such an amazing dynamic. There's no telling how different their music would have been without her influence in the arrangements.
Back before they formed Solas, I got to see Seamus Egan and John Doyle in concert with Eileen Ivers. The three of them seemed to feed off of each other's energy, as well as the energy of the audience, and their playing just got better and better as the concert went on. You could tell they really enjoyed playing together. After that, I was disappointed when Eileen wasn't in the lineup for Solas, so I admit to being somewhat prejudiced against Winnie from the start (my own shortcoming, not hers).

For a brief glimpse of what I'm talking about, see if you can get a copy of the "Absolutely Irish" PBS special on DVD. There's one segment with Seamus, John and Eileen playing together.

Better yet! Here's a YouTube clip of them from 1994, which is around the time I saw them together: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ofKcN1a8ObM
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

The Bothy Band.

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Anita's Dad

Loved the clip from 1994

Post by Anita's Dad »

Thanks for posting the video clip of Eeamus, John and Eileen. It's a gem. Seeing John back when he had long hair is such a hoot. The African percussion fits in perfectly.

I bet that a lot of people miss this clip on utoob because of "Seamus" being misspelled.
Anita's Dad

LIz or Eileen? Too tough to call

Post by Anita's Dad »

Liz or Eileen? That's a toughie... This summer in Cleveland, Eileen and Joanie Madden sat in with John and Liz and just plain blew the roof off. It was incredible. When they finished, the whole crowd just JUMPED to their feet roaring.

(Who's that old fat guy? :lol: At least he has good taste) (Kate Rusby tee shirt)

:D (note Brian's "good side")
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

dubhlinn wrote:The Bothy Band.

Slan,
D. :wink:
Heck yes! Works for me. :D

To veer a tad off topic, Dub, did you ever see the YouTube video of Kevin Burke singing 'Mrs Gilhooley's Party'? Brilliant stuff - I have it downloaded to my PC, but I can't find it on YT any more. :(
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
awildman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by awildman »

Not on Youtube anymore.
The link I had saved says there is a copyright claim by RTE. Hmm.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

flute, high whistle, fiddles, irish pipes, celtic harp, bodhran, voices.
no guitar or lutey types, no concertina or keyboard types and no non melodic accompaniment
(no mechanical chords )

AUDITION DATE AND VENUE TO BE ADVISED.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

awildman wrote:Not on Youtube anymore.
Yeh, the clip is on their "Come West Along the Road, Vol 2" DVD.

Personally, I think they are nuts. I learned about volume 1 of that collection from Youtube clips, and promptly bought it when I saw it in a shop last time I was in Ireland. I'll get volume 2 as well, but that one seems a little scarce at the moment.

I really doubt that a few limited-quality clips on Youtube will do anything other than whet appetites for the proper DVD (as they did for me), but still one must protect one's copyright just for the sake of it, mustn't one...

On the subject of Youtube and that DVD...
I have a clip of Ted Furey and Finbar playing on TV in what looks like early 60s. Ted looks quite clean cut . On the first CWAtR DVD there is a clip of him playing with some other fiddlers - and he has turned into Catweasel! If it hadn't been for the tattoos on his fingers I wouldn't have recognised him.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Should also add, those CWAtR DVDs are really very good. As long as they keep dredging this stuff up from the archives of Nicholas Carolan's show, I'll keep buying it.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

buddhu wrote:
awildman wrote:Not on Youtube anymore.
Yeh, the clip is on their "Come West Along the Road, Vol 2" DVD.

I'll get volume 2 as well, but that one seems a little scarce at the moment.
RTE has it available here