Tribute to Joe Madden

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Michael Burke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tribute to Joe Madden

Post by Michael Burke »

I met Joe Madden at Milwaukee Irish Fest a few years ago and within a short time I considered him to be a personal friend. Joe was like that. He had a life force in him and an enthusiasm for life and family and music that was an inspiration to all who knew him. Joe was a wonderful player of the box accordian and he filled a session with an energy and that joy that makes it a special communion of kindred spirits. Joe was all that, but he also had a way of making you love him and seek out his company. He loved and was proud of his family, coming to America like many Irish American immigrants with nothing and working hard to build his life and to share his passion for the love of his Irish heritage and music with his family and all who knew him. If you never met him, you are impoverished by that and if you were his friend, you could never want a better one. We who loved him feel the loss sharply, but will cherish the memories of him forever.
Joe fell down stairs last week and suffered a broken neck. He fought valiantly, but it was too much for even him to overcome.
Joe was Joanie Madden's Dad and she shares his energy and kind and generous nature. I am in prayer for the Madden family and I hope others at Chiff and Fipple will join me in remembering a remarkable man. We will miss you, Joe.

Michael Burke
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Post by Feadoggie »

This is indeed sad news. Prayers and sympathies go out to family and friends.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Very sad. Joanie - Our thoughts are with you and your family.
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

Please know that Jacky and I are praying for you, Joanie.

- Bo Bowen
lesl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

What Michael wrote is so exactly right about Joe. The picture he painted is just how I think of him. How he had such enthusiasm and playing the tunes and filling the room with energy and joy.

After about my 2nd year with Mike Rafferty, countless old tapes I listened to were Joe and the late great box player Sean McGlynn. So I kind of 'grew up in the music' on Joe's music. Playing the very tunes Mike was giving me. Joe grew up in Portumna and Mike a few miles away in Larraga. There's hardly a tune I have which I don't also hear Joe playing it in my mind with the same settings.

Last Christmas was one time we had the pleasure of playing with Joe at a friend's party, and it was just like Michael described. I was so elated at playing alongside one of my heroes. But it wasn't only that. Joe winking and laughing and playing the Roscommon Jig set 5 times in one night after I'd asked for it only the first time.. glancing over his box to see did I have the next tune, and winking.. heads together with Mike Raff, one of the most famous duos this side of the pond, and all of us note for note - Joe's accordion the loudest of course, but somehow not drowning out anyone else - even whistles ;) - I'll never forget it.

Joe's wife Helen asked me that night, where did I learn to play like that. Of course I told her it was from Mike, but I might as well have said from Joe too.

Last night I hosted the Rockaway NJ session, and we played Joe's tunes all night. I hope he was listening for a bit, though probably he was having a session with Andy McGann and all the other great players on the other side..
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

My heart is broken for his loss. He was a great father, a great man and a great musician. The impact he left on people was always great. Everybody felt like they knew him for a long time, even if it was just one night. His smile always brightened up the room. Please keep our prayers for Helen, Joanie and the whole Madden family.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan