Recipes for Sweet Potatoes?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Recipes for Sweet Potatoes?

Post by Lambchop »

I need to bring something for our Christmas buffet at work. Any of you have a sweet potato recipe that would be good even at room temperature (which here is about 75 dF).

Perhaps something that does not require a mixer, food processor, or blender?
Cotelette d'Agneau
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Recipes for Sweet Potatoes?

Post by djm »

Raw does not require a mixer, food processor, or blender. That will save you an awful lot of effort and teach those sweet potatoe sucking people to mend their evil ways. (I hate sweet potatoes. Can you tell? :twisted:)

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Take some sweet potatoes (hereafter referred to as yams to save keystrokes)

Peel yams.
Cube yams.
Steam yams.
Mash yams.
Add salt.
Add butter.
Mince and add two chipotle chilies (the canned variety) and whatever adobo sauce comes along for the ride.
Mash the chilies in with the yams.
Eat yams.
S'good.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Lambchop wrote:I need to bring something for our Christmas buffet at work. Any of you have a sweet potato recipe that would be good even at room temperature (which here is about 75 dF).

Perhaps something that does not require a mixer, food processor, or blender?

This is what I made for thanksgiving:

2 large cans of sweet potatoes
1/2 cup brown sugar
1.5 tsp cinnamon
approximately 1-2 cups of marshmallows
About 1 tsp vanilla extract.

Drain one can of potatoes completely. Leave the water in the other can. Pour both (including the water from the one can) into a 9x9 baking dish and make sure it's evenly distributed. Don't mash, leave chunked. Mix Cinnamon and sugar in a bowl, sprinkle evenly on top of potatoes. Sprinkle vanilla on top. Top with marshmallows. Loosely cover with foil.

Bake about 20-25 minutes at 325. Keep an eye on it (or a nose, if you have a good sense of smell). i pulled mine out at about 22 minutes, because I could smell the marshmallows starting to get dark.

Was pretty yummy.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:Raw does not require a mixer, food processor, or blender. That will save you an awful lot of effort and teach those sweet potatoe sucking people to mend their evil ways. (I hate sweet potatoes. Can you tell? :twisted:)

djm
I can understand why, too, if you eat them raw. :poke:
Cotelette d'Agneau
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

We often make oven baked sweet potato fries. they are pretty much like regular home fries.

Cut strips of sweet potatoes in 1 X 1/2 inch slices, oil put on a cooking sheet with your favorite spices (We often use none or cayenne pepper) bake for 30 minutes at 425°F turning every 10 minutes or until cooked the way you like.

Might want to make a small test batch to see how they are cold, but they might be good that way with cinnamon.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwest

Post by dwest »

Virginia grows the best sweet potatoes in the country. All others are cheap imitations and should be avoided. If you are unfamiliar with your sweet potato's provenance it is best to avoid consuming it. Rather hold the potato vertically in a glass jar filled with water. Place four toothpicks into the potato to suspend it with a quarter of the potato above the water, let it grow, take potato to office to share.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I do this with squash, but it should work with sweet potatoes:

Cook and cube or mash the equivalent of one good-sized butternut squash

In a frying pan, brown 1 lb of breakfast sausage till really really brown and in pretty small bits
drain fat to taste
add about two peeled cored apples, diced

add the sweet potatoes and mix well

Put it all in a ~8x8 oven-safe pan
sprinkle liberally with brown sugar and dot with pats of butter

Bake till the stuff on top has turned to butterscotch

It sounds like it needs to be hot, but it doesn't. I've had it straight out of the fridge and after sitting out for a couple of hours. It's just plain tasty.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Chas, that's intriguing! Sounds yummy! Very different! I can call it southern haggis.

Can you give me a brand name on the sausage? I'm not exactly sure what it is.
Cotelette d'Agneau
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Lambchop wrote:Chas, that's intriguing! Sounds yummy! Very different! I can call it southern haggis.

Can you give me a brand name on the sausage? I'm not exactly sure what it is.
Last time I made it all I could find was Jimmy Dean -- I used 1/2 lb extra hot and 1/2 lb sage. These are the breakfast sausage, not in links but in fat tubes, so that you can break the stuff up fine in the skillet.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.