Problem with Peter Pan

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Problem with Peter Pan

Post by cowtime »

I like Peter Pan best- to me the Jif has a bitter taste.
I have not noticed a change in taste so maybe you just got a bad batch Izz.

Actually the very best peanut butter I ever ate was the stuff they had at school way back when. I've never tasted any that was like it.

Around here the co-op is the Southern States feed(as in livestock) store.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Run a search engine using the words aflatoxin and peanut butter.
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

Do you still have an old jar so you could compare the ingredients? Maybe they've changed something. Kraft did that with their Catalina dressing - put lots of garlic in and called it a "great new taste". Ugh.
Charlene
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

I'm a Skippy kinda guy... smooth, if you must know...
But, hey! enough fiddlefaddling aroud:
Call the company! :swear: Hit the nail on the head ! :tomato:
Keep asking for the supervisors! :twisted:
Demand they state any changes to the recipie! :tantrum:
raise some hell :shock: :devil:
( why do ya think we have 18 kinds of 'coke'? 8) ).. because customers let the mfg know about it! , and the customer knows best!

(.. & at the very least, you'll get some freebies :pint: )

darn.... I was kinda hopin this thread had something to do with :

shucks... :(
Denny

Post by Denny »

good plan!!!

Izz, maybe they'll send ya a case of it!!!

ImageImage
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I'm not brand conscious about peanut butter. Here are my thoughts:
1. Check the expiration date. Maybe it's old.
2. Did you buy it at some discount store? It may have been marketed for a foreign country where those people like that off taste. I hear this happens a lot with toothpaste.
3. Did the kids come anywhere near the jar? Did they close the lid tightly? Did they make a mayo and peanut butter sandwich and not clean the knife between spreads?
4. Has the peanut butter jar been in excessive sunlight or heat or variable temperature? Is this the jar that you've been taking camping all summer and had in the fishing tackle box?
5. Have you considered labeling one jar of peanut butter "Mommy's peanut butter. Open at your own risk."?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Cork

Post by Cork »

Warning: Many "commercial" brands of peanut butter contain copious amounts of refined sugar.

An alternative could be to find an "organic" food store, some of which roast and grind their own PB, 100% peanuts and fresh!

Also, try almond butter, mmmmm!

However, be careful, as I once got a jar of conspicuously labeled, "organic" PB, only to later discover that the ingredients also contained "organic" palm oil, and "organic" sugar!

Alternately, some "commercial" supermarkets stock pure PB, salted and unsalted, one brand being "Teddy".

Anyway, if you like PB, then go for the real thing, and skip all of those other added ingredients!

Edit: Sorry, I had listed a company which once upon a time offered a special grinder, for homemade PB, but it now seems that the company no longer sells that grinder.
Last edited by Cork on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Stay away from soy butter! Vile, vile stuff!
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Thomaston wrote:Stay away from soy butter! Vile, vile stuff!
Naturally occurring protease inhibitors.

What else?

I dunno. Does aflatoxin grow in soy like it grows in peanuts?
missy

Post by missy »

I've always preferred Jif - even before I worked with it, and after we sold it to Smuckers.........

I'm not in Foods anymore, but some ideas:

As stated, check the expiration date - especially if you purchased both jars at the same time.
Was the jar sealed well? You may have gotten a leaker or two and the product could be oxidized or rancid.

If the jar was sealed, and it's not old, my next guess would be they've changed the hydrogenation process they use and you may be tasting that difference. "Solid" vs. "liquid" oils present differently in the mouth, and allow different tastes to be detected.

Yes, PNB such as Peter Pan, Jif and Skippy do have hydrogenated oils and sugars (corn syrup and / or molasses) added. Natural PNB is fine if you are consuming it right away, but if you are packing a sandwich it tends to separate and can go rancid if it gets too hot. If you are used to "processed" - the grittiness (especially if you usually use smooth) and less sweet flavor of natural can take some getting used to.

And if you do use natural - stir it up BEFORE storing it in the fridge. It ususally stays mixed better that way.

And hyldemoer - I did aflatoxin analysis a long time ago. It grows on peanuts and can be found very rarely in corn, but I have no idea if it grows on soy. All peanuts and PNB sold in the US are tested for aflatoxin on a routine basis. Once peanuts are roasted, it's also very rare that you find any appreciable amounts of the four major aflatoxins present in the finished product, although I have seen it happen. In this day and age, I'd worry more about pesticides and herbicides than I would aflatoxin.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

missy wrote:I did aflatoxin analysis a long time ago. It grows on peanuts and can be found very rarely in corn, but I have no idea if it grows on soy. All peanuts and PNB sold in the US are tested for aflatoxin on a routine basis. Once peanuts are roasted, it's also very rare that you find any appreciable amounts of the four major aflatoxins present in the finished product, although I have seen it happen. In this day and age, I'd worry more about pesticides and herbicides than I would aflatoxin.
Well, that's a relief!
Not that I'll be eating peanut butter anytime in the near future if I can help it.

My experience is when someone craves a taste of anything, there's no substitutes

and they're willing to tolerate what ever it takes to get that taste (extra sugar, salt, hydrogenated oils, what ever).

If the recipe of the commercial stuff hasn't been changed and its certain that it hasn't gone rancid or something isn't growing in it,
I'd ask myself if there's something going on with the health of the person eating it that would alter their perceptions of tastes or smells.

That's probably because in my life its always the weirdest scenario imaginable that's going on.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Organic peanut butter is more likely to have Aspergillus flavus BTW I discovered two new Aspergillus back in the '70s, not hard to do actually. Anyhoo, Jif, Peter Pan, etc. are usually less likely to have as much Aspergillus or it's byproducts than an organic but just to be sure we put them all in the fridge. That usually means all PB&J sandwiches are made on warm toast.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Cork wrote:However, be careful, as I once got a jar of conspicuously labeled, "organic" PB, only to later discover that the ingredients also contained "organic" palm oil, and "organic" sugar!
The placement or your quotation marks confuses
me. Are you suggesting that the palm oil and
sugar in question do not, in fact, contain carbon?
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

man you guys are friggin serious about PB...
asper..what? :-?
heck, I only look at the brand and the price. :)
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

CHasR wrote: heck, I only look at the brand and the price. :)
You're saying taste or nutrition isn't an issue for you when choosing peanut butter.

Is that the protocol you observe when choosing coffee or ale for purchase too?