Some flutes please your opinion

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
mika

Some flutes please your opinion

Post by mika »

The first one is called Egyptian (ney?) flute
http://www.shechtermusic.com/pics/naiflute.gif

This one is Irish tin whistle
http://www.shechtermusic.com/pics/originalwhistle.gif

This is a candian flute alt
http://www.shechtermusic.com/pics/ab200.jpg

I wish they'll get a duduk flute as well.
So for the Egyptian flute I have no idea what might be the sound and if someone has this kind of candian flute and can tell me less or more about the sound quality I can get I'll be glad :)
MichaelLoos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Re: Some flutes please your opinion

Post by MichaelLoos »

Hi Mika,
the first picture shows definitely not a ney, I don't even believe this instrument is egyptian, either. To me, it looks like a very cheap flute from the far east (this should not cost more than the equivalent of 10 - 20 $, depending on the size).
The ney is an end-blown flute (similar to the bulgarian kaval) usually made from reed cane.
The second picture shows indeed a Clarke whistle, many people like the breathy sound they produce; I don't, I prefer a clearer tone; also, these need quite a lot of air compared to other whistles.
The third picture is a recorder (you might know the german word "Blockflöte"), from the proportions I would guess it is a soprano instrument, doesn't look like the alto to me. (I never heard the word "candian flute" before).
The duduk flute is the bulgarian equivalent to the irish tin whistle, but made from wood. The armenian duduk is a totally different instrument with a huge double reed and cylindrical bore. It sounds somewhat like a very soft saxophone.
From what I see in these pictures I would not advice you to buy from this shop.
You can probably listen to the sound of the recorder in most music schools. Also, it is widely used in renaissance and early baroque music. For the sound of the tin whistle, try to find out if there is an irish trad. session anywhere near you. I understand you live in Israel, I'm quite sure there are people playing irish music in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem. For egyptian flutes, it would probably be best to just go to Egypt, but I don't know how dangerous this might be for you.... YouTube is another option, although the sound quality is usually rather poor.
You should listen to folk music (using "real" instruments, especially flutes) from different countries and the make up your mind what type of flute you like best. Most certainly you will have to order the instrument from the country where it comes from, after all, it is much better to get your instrument from the maker than from a shop. There are many people on this forum willing to help you with whatever instrument your choice falls upon.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Hi Mika,

I agree with everything Michael said, including not to buy from that dealer. Almost everything on that site is very poor quality. You will waste your money there.

From your other posts I think you are still searching for a flute with a low, haunting sound. The Clark whistle is haunting, but not low. The same is true of the other instruments.

Perhaps you are thinking too hard about this. As Michael said, you should be very careful listening to clips. If you cannot see the flute played in the video, or if it is not stated that it is a particular instrument, then forget about that clip. Many of the recordings you've found are not real instruments, but keyboards. I think this is confusing you and making things harder than they should be. Also, you must be a very careful judge of the sound quality of the clips. Many are so poor that they do not even sound much like the real instrument.

From your other posts, I still think you should try an alto or tenor recorder for a first instrument. I think that sound will please you. The larger recorders have lower voices with a haunting sound that is like a flute but with a little reed sound as well. They are easy to get and not too expensive for a nice resin one. If you buy a Yamaha or Aulos recorder you don't have to worry if it a good one, it will be fine. The recorder is very popular and easy to sell if you change your mind. And most important, you will begin to learn an instrument. In the time you have been searching, you could have learned a lot of music already.

I know that instruments are expensive and difficult for you to get, and that you have to be very careful spending your money. But in your lifetime you will probably play many different flutes. That's part of the joy. As years pass you may find that you own and play all these flutes that you like.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

If you're looking for an end blown flute with low/haunting tone you might try a lowD or other low key Irish whistle.
A low D would be an octave lower than the one you were looking at.

Best,

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Perhaps I should add that by "end-blown flute" I mean rim-blown, a flute that has no windway and fipple. The sound is produced by directing the air onto the edge of the top end of the instrument.
The low whistle mentioned by the Doc does have a fipple (which of course is at the end of the flute) and is therefore much easier to start with.
Sorry for the confusion ....
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

MichaelLoos wrote:Perhaps I should add that by "end-blown flute" I mean rim-blown, a flute that has no windway and fipple. The sound is produced by directing the air onto the edge of the top end of the instrument.
The low whistle mentioned by the Doc does have a fipple (which of course is at the end of the flute) and is therefore much easier to start with.
Sorry for the confusion ....
Have you looked at Quenas or the Japanese ones (shakahuchi ...???...) I'm sure that's spelled wrong someone smart will surely come along and save me here.

Doc

Doc's Website

Denny

Post by Denny »

naw....I'll beat 'em to it :D

Shakuhachi
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Denny wrote:naw....I'll beat 'em to it :D

Shakuhachi
There ya go! :)

Doc

Doc's Website

Denny

Post by Denny »

I belonged to a forum for a bit.....

the pipers aren't that snarky!
MichaelLoos

Post by MichaelLoos »

Quenas and Shakuhachis are of a different kind again in that they have a labium, but no plug and windway. The "plug" is formed by the player's lower lip.
Neys and Kavals have no labium, basically, they are open tubes with fingerholes. The embouchure is much different from that required for Quena or Shakuhachi (or any other flute).
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

MichaelLoos wrote:Quenas and Shakuhachis are of a different kind again in that they have a labium, but no plug and windway. The "plug" is formed by the player's lower lip.
Neys and Kavals have no labium, basically, they are open tubes with fingerholes. The embouchure is much different from that required for Quena or Shakuhachi (or any other flute).
For a ney or kaval the labium is the opposite edge of the rim, and it is shaped (sharpened, and set to an angle) accordingly. There is just no notch, and therefore holding the flute to your mouth is different, in order to restrict the opening sufficently and direct a focussed air stream to the opposite edge (opposite to where the flute is pressed against the lips).

Cheers,
~Hans
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Mika,

I just realized that the flute you may be searching for is the one you haven't mentioned. Have you looked at the ocarina?
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info