Baroque Flute Tuning/Fingering

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Baroque Flute Tuning/Fingering

Post by I.D.10-t »

Discussion about fingering and tuning of the baroque flute deserves its own thread.

Baroque flute fingering chart
Quantz Fingering chart

This has a bit on tuning at the time.
Tuning and Intonation.

General information

And for fun Badinerie
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Baroque Flute Tuning/Fingering

Post by peeplj »

Just a note that there isn't just one kind of flute called a "Baroque flute" and they are all the same: they vary as to what pitch they play at (A can be anywhere from the high 300's to over 500), how much volume and projection they have, and what fingerings will work for the chromatics and the third octave notes. Some are made in three pieces (similar to the Pratten-style flutes that came much later), others in four pieces. Some have multiple heart joints (called "corps de rechange") which allow them to play in multiple pitches. Some have a very huskier, drier sound (which blends well with early violins), others have a very polished, refined tone.

There are also flutes that look like Baroque flutes but aren't. One-key flutes were popular (and inexpensive) all the way up to the late 1800's. Although these are small-holed flutes and use the chromatic cross-fingerings, the bore and embouchure are quite different from a Baroque flute, and the tone they produce is more to the classical ideal, louder and more projective. By this time, original flutes from the Baroque period were being called "parlour flutes" for their soft, intimate sound which was more suited for playing in smaller, enclosed areas.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

peeplj wrote:"parlour flutes"
Were those the ones that Sears and Roebucks sold in the late 1800s? Like the one on Terry McGee's collection?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I.D.10-t wrote:
peeplj wrote:"parlour flutes"
Were those the ones that Sears and Roebucks sold in the late 1800s? Like the one on Terry McGee's collection?
Possibly.

Somebody with more expertise needs to chime in here, but my understanding is that the "parlour flute" term was usually used to describe older flutes and their softer sound. These older flutes were of high quality and good workmanship, just no longer appropriate for the demands of the new music of the time.

The Sears and Roebucks flutes I think would have been more "classical" than "Baroque," although how well they would have actually played would have been anyone's guess. Then, as now, there were all manner of flutes available from unplayable drek all the way up to really wonderful instruments...and then, as now, I think you tended to get what you paid for.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard