Gajda or Gaida Shutarka

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
BzzzzT
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Gajda or Gaida Shutarka

Post by BzzzzT »

The Gajda Shutarka is new to me in the. I have never heard of this regional gajda before.

It looks like a Romanian Cimpoi or Greek Tsambouna with a greater range. It has a really amazing sound. I found it on a youtube video. The video said it was played in the Struma River Valley and is disappearing in the region. I wonder if it is still played in Bulgaria. My guess is it would mostly be played in Macedonia/Greece. I wonder if it has all but died out except for a few areas?

Does anyone know more about this Gajda? Maybe Sean could shine some knowledge on it.

Here is the video on youtube. Also some more great music on this channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lebivino#pl ... Jc_3O4beA0

http://www.youtube.com/user/lebivino#pl ... t96QB0T7wg
Dain
antispam: No

Re: Gajda or Gaida Shutarka

Post by Dain »

These gajda's are still played in various ethnic instrumental bands all over the Balkans. In Serbia at least, they are still played, all over. It's the same type of goat-skin bagpipes that is played in Macedonia and Bulgaria since forever, i guess.

Here is a clip of a recent revivalist of the trad instruments; it's Slobodan Trkulja, young multi-instrumentalist from Belgrade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42cXow1wIgI

The gajde are at the end of the song. :wink:
sean an piobaire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sean an piobaire »

Hello Buzz "T" How are things in Arizona ?
I just finished watching the video, and the Gaida is playing slightly sharp of E flat, and there
are higher pitches at E, and F, as eluded to, in the text notes.
Pirin Macedonia is a real crossroads, so the Struma Valley style(s) of playing have many elements that
differ from "mainstream" Bulgarian Piping, perhaps more of a Greek Macedonian style, which makes it a
political "Bone of Contention" in conversation with some people.
There are 3 Macedonias: Pirin, Bulgaria, the Greek province of Macedonia,
and "The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" all fiercely contested.
The little Hornpipe "beak" on the Chanter is similar to SOME of the Cimpoi chanters,
which makes me think of the Maramures, who are ethnic Macedonians in Romania, so there might
be some connection from that quarter. The LP record that I have "Music of the Maramures",
shows a Piper playing a "standard" Bitola style Gajda on the cover photo, so you can imagine
that there is alot of back and forth, Musical trading going on, which makes "The Balkans" so
interesting, Pipe-wise.
I believe Hector Bezanis has much more knowledge about this subject, than anyone else in
the USA, and it's a pity he's not "on" these computers.
Your Guide-Duh, Sean Folsom
Celtpastor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Celtpastor »

...but don't mingle it with the Greek tsampouna! The tsampouna is a completely different instrument (droneless doublechantered, like all of the mediterranean-caucasian type!). There are, however, Gaide in Greece as well... ;-)
Dilige et, quod vis, fac!