Moloney+Potts - Tin whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Pyroh

Moloney+Potts - Tin whistles

Post by Pyroh »

Righto, inspired by Makar in the other topic - I was wondering what people think of this CD.

I don't feel competent to review it - but it seems to me like it suffers from certain "Chieftains CD syndrome" - i.e. things which are unbelievably awesome when they play them live, are slightly dull on the CD.

For me, they're one of the very best whistle players - and for example, their coordination in Morning Dew from Live (1988) is great, Carolan's Concerto there as well - but on this CD, it seems that the liveliness is not entirely there. But it doesn't sound overproduced or anything like that I think...
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Moloney+Potts - Tin whistles

Post by s1m0n »

It's very early. At the time the entire recorded canon of ITM on whistle consisted of Mary Bergin's LP, this one, and if you were very very lucky, Tom McHale's LP.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I don't think it lacks energy at all. Not something I listen to often but I've enjoyed it.
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

It's been a very long time since I've listened to it. I remember thinking the playing was really good, but the harmonizing got to me after a while. I think it's maybe a little too arranged for my taste. But still, a very good album.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'm fascinated by the improvised harmonies.

Is it Paddy or Sean or both who are so adept at improvising them?
My guess would be that it's Paddy.

I have a 30-year-old tape from a little session in Ireland where those two are doing the same thing. It's fantastic stuff.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
lawhistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lawhistle »

I had the cd for maybe 7 years before I started to really seriously enjoy it, and especially appreciate the rhythm and lift of the playing. Now I can't learn enough off it!
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Yes, the harmonies are great...and they both were very skilled in them (but Paddy does more of it I think) - but I enjoy them more in live recordings. Or I really like his "rolls in upper octave", where they wouldn't usually be (for example Coombe no.6 - great piping entrée as well, or Dogs amonng the bushes). But Seán Potts seems a very good whistler as well (one of the best I'd say). For example his playing in Carolan's Concerto feels rather similar (at least to me) to how Leo Rowsome has played it, which is the best version I've heard.

But it often seems to me, that studio recordings can't quite capture the liveliness...
kenny

Post by kenny »

"Tin Whistles" [ 1974 ] came out 5 years before "Feadog Stain", [ 1979 ], s1mon. Haven't listened to it in a long time, but I do remember learning quite a few tunes from it. Never quite made my mind up about "Julia Delaney", though.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

kenny: What do you mean about by making your mind? Like you're not sure if you like it?

Anyway, after listening to the CD some more times (ok, you made me pretty unsure :-)), it is a good weapon against those "tonguingisforbeginners" bollockbearers. I think it epitomizes how tonguing can be greatly used to make the music much more interesting.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

kenny wrote:"Tin Whistles" [ 1974 ] came out 5 years before "Feadog Stain", [ 1979 ], s1mon.
Maybe he's thinking of the 1983 Shanachie re-release, which is how many of us in North America would have first acquired the album.

I must get either the CD or a new stylus for my turntable, as I have only the LP at the moment and haven't listened to it in a while.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
bigskybri

Post by bigskybri »

I have an LP titled The New Pennywhistle Album that came out in 1978, w/ Billy Novick on whistle and Guy Van Duser on guitar. It's on the Green Linnet label and I don't think it was issued on CD. Side A is traditional and Side B more experimental, as they call it in the album notes (a little Gershwin, a little jazz). Forgot I had it until finding it in the storage locker earlier this year.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yes, Green Linnet was not always strictly Celtic in the earlier days. Don't ask me how I know. :wink:

I'll bet Chiffer Pat Sky would know the backstory on the Novick-Van Duser album. Maybe I'll ask him.

StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Studio recordings practically always lack the excitement of live performances. But I think the Moloney & Potts record is top-notch all the same.

I wonder if the transfer to CD has anything to do with the lack of sparkle? I recently picked up a (1990s) CD re-issue of an acoustic guitar recording that I have had on vinyl since the late 1970s. I bought the CD (cheap) after digitizing the LP because the introductory section to one of the tracks was irreparably damaged (I must have played the LP hundreds of times in the first ten years I had it).

Listening to the version I digitized and the reissue, the CD sounds astonishingly dull and flat in comparison.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Oh and sure nothing beats the sound of vinyl, even if it does have the pops and crackles the sound is unparalleled!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

StevieJ wrote:Listening to the version I digitized and the reissue, the CD sounds astonishingly dull and flat in comparison.
Yeah, I think there's a tendency to overcompress the heck out of things in the re-mastering. Which is ironic, since CDs have more headroom than LPs. But the average rock-weaned re-mastering engineer probably has little or no experience with all-acoustic material or trad, and it shows. Makes it hard to find a good recording studio, too. But it can be done right, of course.