If you can carry a tune you can play the Gahoon

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: If you can carry a tune you can play the Gahoon

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm wondering.... what would happen if you put a Generation/Feadog style head on a screen door spring. I'm just saying'
I may have to pull the heads off a couple of cheapie whistles and head down to Home Despot...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

You wouldn't.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Nanohedron wrote:From Nanopedia:
Gahoon (gə hōōn'), n., -er, -ist. Any of several musical single reed folk wind instruments popularly held to be inspired by gleanings in the sport of dumpster diving [unattested]. Commonly a saxophone or clarinet head and reed affixed to a tension spring which is manipulated to modulate pitch. From the Irish guth uain, lit. "lamb's voice".

So-named apparently for its bleating quality. Anecdotally it has been noted that, just as in the case of lambs, the gahoon's auditory character will often be taken as an enjoyment and emblematic of pastoral idylls at first, until frequent exposure transforms its effects on the hearer from experiencing something endearing to an increasingly "acquired taste", a charming bleat subjectively turning to noise and noise turning into a racket, becoming ever more and more hair-tearingly abominable to the point of appalling emotional pain, unremitting without apparent hope of surcease, even from Heaven, short of nothing less than utter destruction and death itself for either the hearer or the immature ovid, the gahoon, and/or its player. This is known broadly as "The Shepherd's Paradox", and points to why people have been known to eat them. Lambs, that is, not gahoons or their players. And it points to why they never caught on. Gahoons and their players, that is, not lambs.
:really:
Cotelette d'Agneau
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

:D
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

He did an impressive job of it, didn't he?

Nano, you might try your hand at writing Amazon reviews. I think there's a future in it for you.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Lambchop wrote:He did an impressive job of it, didn't he?

Nano, you might try your hand at writing Amazon reviews. I think there's a future in it for you.
Aw, gee, thanx. :oops:

Wonder how much Amazon recognises craft....oh, wait. Never mind.