Photos of my "exo-fipple" whistle project

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pipsqueak
antispam: No

Re: Photos of my "exo-fipple" whistle project

Post by pipsqueak »

Thanks for the kind words, but the ingenious one is Jon (aka Pipsqueak).
Thank you R. Jay, but I too had my sources of inspiration from which I extrapolated, this being one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqqJWAO1AIs
pipsqueak

Post by pipsqueak »

R.Jay's page has been linked by Guido Gonzato himself! http://www.ggwhistles.com/howto/index.html#Roll
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Looks great. I really liked the look of your "Tapladder" too.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I liked the sleek design of the exo-fipple. I read and heard your stuff about the tapladder. That was pretty nifty. Thanks for sharing that.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
CarvedTones

Post by CarvedTones »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:Whether the air blows externally straight down for to the side what does it really matter?
That straight down orientation helps cool your fingers on those blazing hot solos. :D

Doesn't it matter for measurements? I am new at this, but I think the hole placement estimation calculations are from the center of the blown edge, which might vary a quarter inch or so.
-Andy
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by AvienMael »

CarvedTones wrote: Doesn't it matter for measurements? I am new at this, but I think the hole placement estimation calculations are from the center of the blown edge, which might vary a quarter inch or so.
Normally, I determine the bell note by cutting the whistle to length until the correct pitch is achieved. As I get close to the correct pitch, I check again and again to ensure that the pitch stays flat in both octaves by the same amount - otherwise, some adjustment at the mouthpiece is necessary before the final cut to the correct pitch can be made. Then my hole centers are figured from the bottom end of the whistle, not from the blown edge.

To get back on topic... sort of... it seems to me that a side-blown whistle would somewhat limit what the whistle is capable of in terms of expression.
Playing, not paying.
CarvedTones

Post by CarvedTones »

AvienMael wrote:
CarvedTones wrote: Doesn't it matter for measurements? I am new at this, but I think the hole placement estimation calculations are from the center of the blown edge, which might vary a quarter inch or so.
Normally, I determine the bell note by cutting the whistle to length until the correct pitch is achieved. As I get close to the correct pitch, I check again and again to ensure that the pitch stays flat in both octaves by the same amount - otherwise, some adjustment at the mouthpiece is necessary before the final cut to the correct pitch can be made. Then my hole centers are figured from the bottom end of the whistle, not from the blown edge.

To get back on topic... sort of... it seems to me that a side-blown whistle would somewhat limit what the whistle is capable of in terms of expression.
The two sources I have for calculations are a book on instrument design, which uses a percentage of the distance between the blown edge and the end, and the online calculator by Pete Kosel, which uses distance from the bottom of the whistle as you do, but one of the distances listed is the blown edge. It cannot be changed independently of the others.

My point is that if the whistle is tuned perfectly when end blown, I would expect it to be slightly flat if sideblown. The OP can easily test that if he can play a flute or know someone who can.
-Andy
CarvedTones

Post by CarvedTones »

This one is in a different style, inspired by a visit to a local NAF maker. I made it using an abandoned wood "tube" from one of my early whistle attempts that is cut short, so it is a high e. But the point was really just learning. Using a plastic test tube, I can slide it in and out to see/hear the effect of the position and I am using it to experiment with airflow. It is a whole lot easier to learn about windway mechanics on the outside of the tube. :) The mouthpiece is a plastic test tube with a small hole drilled at the end. It sounds okay, if a little shrill.

-Andy
pipsqueak

Post by pipsqueak »

CarvedTones wrote: It is a whole lot easier to learn about windway mechanics on the outside of the tube.
Yeah, that is one of the strong points with the exo fipple. You can vary windway geometry and hear what happens, and all it'll cost is a few slivers of plastic.
pipsqueak

Post by pipsqueak »

I've made another clip featuring an exo-fipple whiste in G:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rg4QXYYGI