Irish Christmas carols

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
taisa
antispam: No

Irish Christmas carols

Post by taisa »

Dear friends
I'm from Belarus, the group where I'm singing is going to prepare the Irish Christman program. Could you recommend, please, any traditional (authentic) Irish Christmas carols that are really popular in Irland.
Thank you in advance.
Denny

Re: Irish Christmas carols

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Irish Christmas carols

Post by s1m0n »

'Authentic' Irish Christmas music is somewhat sparse in the tradition, curiously enough*. Really, the only piece I know of that's authentic, unique to Ireland and equivalent to the English language canon of Christmas music is the Gaelic song Don Oiche ud i mBeithil. There is also a repertoire of mumming and hunting the wren music and songs which belong to the season if not specifically to the day. The latter in particular is quite likely a holdover from pagan times; its only 'Christian' elements were quite obviously awkwardly grafted on to an older custom.

For this reason, almost all the 'Celtic Christmas' records and CDs that have flooded record stores in recent decades consist mainly of the same-old set of Christmas carols that are on every other English-language Christmas release, but played on 'celtic' instruments. Or sung by Mary Black. Google 'celtic christmas' and read the the track lists of the CDs you find - they'll give you a good idea of how other people have answered your question.

*Perhaps not so curiously; the 'english' language corpus of Christmas carols is largely the invention of the Victorian-era English & german middle classes. The nineteenth century was not kind to Ireland, and it may well be that the Irish middle class had bigger problems on its plate.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis