Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Daiv, just watched your vid (worked fine for me). Grand tone at the beginning (once you get settled!) - certainly justifies your claims about the woody ITM sound you can get from your Copley head. (The Boehm key clatter is a give-away though.) You start off really well, but gradually seem to tense up, push harder and harder for tone, thus loosing roundness and getting harsh, plus you just can't resist speeding up, though at least that was a fairly even progression! If you could keep that nice steady pace you started at in all your practice for a few months.......... then rip it when you can patch it all together!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

Daiv,

Sounded great to me. Nice sound on the flute. What's the name of the tune?

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
daiv

Post by daiv »

jemtheflute wrote:Daiv, just watched your vid (worked fine for me). Grand tone at the beginning (once you get settled!) - certainly justifies your claims about the woody ITM sound you can get from your Copley head. (The Boehm key clatter is a give-away though.) You start off really well, but gradually seem to tense up, push harder and harder for tone, thus loosing roundness and getting harsh, plus you just can't resist speeding up, though at least that was a fairly even progression! If you could keep that nice steady pace you started at in all your practice for a few months.......... then rip it when you can patch it all together!
thanks.

my flute has never been to the shop to be overhauled since i bought it 5 or 6 years ago. i have to push down pretty hard to get the keys to close well. i'm hoping when i get new pads with a lighter touch that i can be a lot quieter with the keys.

a lot of the other attempts i tried to record today didnt turn out so well. i tend to think that there is something wrong with what i am playing, and am often worried about not being good enough.
Last edited by daiv on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daiv

Post by daiv »

mahanpots wrote:Daiv,

Sounded great to me. Nice sound on the flute. What's the name of the tune?

Michael
thanks. i have no idea what the name of the tune is. if anybody could let me know, i would be much obliged!
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Daiv,

Watched/listened to your video. I'm very impressed by your ability to get a very Irish wood sound from your Boehm+Copley. I could not get that kind of tone when I started playing ITM on my silver flute (don't think I get that tone now on my Cochran). Your ornamentation is also quite good; I switched to simple system to make those F# rolls easier and to sound more ITM (personally I think simple system is more fun but harder to play in tune).

Anyways, I appreciate as well that you play at a tempo you are comfortable with instead of trying to push to play at breakneck speed. I know I need to reign back and play slower myself.

The tune I think is Green Mountain. I thought I had heard your setting (and tone) somewhere else, and remembered the clip of the McGee Rudall Perfected on Terry's website. Check it out if you haven't--it really sounds similar to what I was hearing. http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/models.html.

Lots of good stuff happening in your playing--looking forward to the next installment. Thanks.

Jason
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Daiv,

Just watched your video clip. Thanks for posting it! I thought your flute sounded absolutely awesome. I really like the commanding end to the phrases. Something I personally need to work on. I agree with Jem's comments about tensing up beginning in the first 'B' section. Also the rushing. In general I thought you did a great job. I, too, look forward to some more post! Thanks for accommodating my request.
Arbo
daiv

Post by daiv »

Akiba wrote:Daiv,

Watched/listened to your video. I'm very impressed by your ability to get a very Irish wood sound from your Boehm+Copley. I could not get that kind of tone when I started playing ITM on my silver flute (don't think I get that tone now on my Cochran). Your ornamentation is also quite good; I switched to simple system to make those F# rolls easier and to sound more ITM (personally I think simple system is more fun but harder to play in tune).

Anyways, I appreciate as well that you play at a tempo you are comfortable with instead of trying to push to play at breakneck speed. I know I need to reign back and play slower myself.

The tune I think is Green Mountain. I thought I had heard your setting (and tone) somewhere else, and remembered the clip of the McGee Rudall Perfected on Terry's website. Check it out if you haven't--it really sounds similar to what I was hearing. http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/models.html.

Lots of good stuff happening in your playing--looking forward to the next installment. Thanks.

Jason
thanks. it sounds like the same tune to me. i learned it from my grandmother's cousin. i dont know where she got it from.
ImNotIrish wrote:Daiv,

Just watched your video clip. Thanks for posting it! I thought your flute sounded absolutely awesome. I really like the commanding end to the phrases. Something I personally need to work on. I agree with Jem's comments about tensing up beginning in the first 'B' section. Also the rushing. In general I thought you did a great job. I, too, look forward to some more post! Thanks for accommodating my request.
Arbo
i'm not sure what a commanding end to phrases means, but thanks! i hope to get a commanding sense of rhythm, too....
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

daiv wrote:
i'm not sure what a commanding end to phrases means, but thanks! i hope to get a commanding sense of rhythm, too....
Just a strong ending to the phrase.
Arbo
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Daiv,
in the interest of putting faces with players, I submit the following jig. It's a first attempt at posting a video clip, so I hope it works.
Arbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhQGzSiczG4
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Arbo,
what a sound! what flute is it?
it's a pity that the video is so dark...
Othannen
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Othannen,
sorry about the dark vid. It was late afternoon and I had just got home from work. Didn't want the bright overhead florescent light searing through the twilight.... I'm playing my original R&R with the Olwell HJ. It was the first time I used this camera, so I wanted to see what kind of sound, etc. would be picked up. I too, thought the flute sounded good in that clip. Thanks for watching. Now I just need to concentrate more on my playing. By the way, I find that particular tune difficult at the end on the phrase where you have to cut the bottom 'D' several times. Still working that part out.
Arbo
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Well done, Arbo - less nerves in front of the camera than Daiv! - But then, you only 1/3rd achieve your stated aim as only about 1/3rd of your face is visible! Try putting the camera by the window next time? Nice tune, BTW.

EDIT: cross-posted!

For that cadence phrase, the trick (for me, anyway) is to slur the E into a D cran (or at least double-cut D) in the first triplet/half bar and then cut and diaphragm push simultaneously for the (dotted) crotchet D at the end. The important bit is getting the rhythm of the articulation right. For a simpler approach, slur E to D, cut D with R1 for the last element of the triplet, then cut with L3 and push as above for the last note; precise timing perhaps even more vital to make it work well, though.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
connie

Post by connie »

ImNotIrish wrote:Daiv,
in the interest of putting faces with players, I submit the following jig. It's a first attempt at posting a video clip, so I hope it works.
Its a good idea I must comb my hair, find a clean shirt & then figure out how to hook the digital camera up as a webcam :-).
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

connie wrote: Its a good idea I must comb my hair, find a clean shirt & then figure out how to hook the digital camera up as a webcam :-).
Awww, don't bother with the first two bits of that process!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Very interesting to see people for the first time. I doubt anyone looks like the version of who they are in my head. And I must warn you I look like either Bozo-the-Clown or Jack Nicholson on a bad hair day if I don't comb my hair, not that there's much to comb these days.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes