What do you look like?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Alan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Denny wrote:Ok, Alan... one of the old TrueTone Low Pitches?
It's a Perfection C soprano made in Bruno, New York back in who knows when. I got it locally sometime in the '70s from a fellow who claimed he got it from a rancher in Wyoming or somewhere in exchange for doing some work for him. He said the rancher told him that it had been won from Artie Shaw in a poker game. Probably some story he made up but fun to relate in any event. I had thought more than once to write Artie Shaw and ask about this instrument but too late now. Perhaps just as well...
Alan
Denny

Post by Denny »

Alan wrote:
Denny wrote:Ok, Alan... one of the old TrueTone Low Pitches?
It's a Perfection C soprano made in Bruno, New York back in who knows when. I got it locally sometime in the '70s from a fellow who claimed he got it from a rancher in Wyoming or somewhere in exchange for doing some work for him. He said the rancher told him that it had been won from Artie Shaw in a poker game. Probably some story he made up but fun to relate in any event. I had thought more than once to write Artie Shaw and ask about this instrument but too late now. Perhaps just as well...
Some of the old saxes (1940s) had a tone...
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

... you know... I could watch this for hours and hours and days and months......

................................................... see ya'........
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

mukade wrote:This is me after an overnight translation session, fortified by twenty cups of coffee.

Mukade
edited to remove hotlink.
Ara, benpi soo ya naaaa. Ganbatte na, Kaaku kanchoo.
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Me

The band (me, top middle)

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Marcus, if only you'd stayed with Rolf Harris on the right of the picture...

Hey, you guys are wearing matching shirts! That's so Howard & Hilda! :D
rh

Post by rh »

would you happen to know these guys?
MarcusR

Post by MarcusR »

Martin Milner wrote:Marcus, if only you'd stayed with Rolf Harris on the right of the picture...
You right Martin, Rolf was a very talented accordion player and he really liked to perform, always giving 100%. But to tell you the truth, having him in the band was a disaster. The first years were great, then something happened. He was always late for gigs and when he finally appeared, he came on stage all dressed out, calling himself “Jake the Peg”, with that stupid extra leg. You never knew what he was up to, so unpredictable, like a volcano ready to through down his accordion and start to improvise on his wobbleboard in a split second.
In the end we had to let him go.

It turned out to be the wrong decision.
As you know Rolf moved on and became a celebrity TV-star. I heard that he stills plays that wobbleborad of his and that he is currently planning a “Lord of the dance special” as Jake the Peg together with Mr Flatley.

I’m glad you brought this subject up Martin, thanks.

:D
/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
MarcusR

Post by MarcusR »

rh wrote:would you happen to know these guys?
Ahhh! Gert Jonnys, one of the best bands since ABBA.
Based on the stage outfit, that picture must be from one of their St. Patrick's Day performances.
Very ITM I would say.
Gert is the piper (guy in the middle), played a full set by Ellen Fromage if I’m not mistaken.
You had the Dubliners and The Chieftains, we had Gert Jonnys, those were great times.

Cheers!

/MarcusR
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Nobody famous - just me and my husband and daughter from a few years ago. Our daughter has grown and is almost as tall as me. Otherwise we still look about the same.

Charlene
moxy

Post by moxy »

I'm finding this all rather funny, but also a bit scary. I mean... how do I know who's telling the truth about the photos that are posted?!!

I'm in my avatar. I'm also on my webpage. That's so unexciting... I really like the photos of the hair band!! They're my favorite :)

Murphy Stout looks good in photos too. Too bad none have made it here yet.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I have a photo of Jack sleeping on my living room floor when he came to Seattle for Friday Harbour...it's a frightening photo... ;)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

We are dying here in my office over the Gert Johnny's pix! I have decided that its Lawrence Welk meets Willie Wonka!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

moxy wrote:I'm finding this all rather funny, but also a bit scary. I mean... how do I know who's telling the truth about the photos that are posted?!!

I'm in my avatar. I'm also on my webpage. That's so unexciting... I really like the photos of the hair band!! They're my favorite :)

Murphy Stout looks good in photos too. Too bad none have made it here yet.
If you follow the link I posted, he's in several of the pictures there.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

(snort) yeah, he thinks he's soooooo cute, just because he still has hair and is not fat. Plenty of pictures at Tony's whistle tune website. Follow the links.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?