table manners

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Nanohedron wrote:I thought as much, myself.
:lol: Thank you on her behalf!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Wombat
antispam: No

Re: Farting

Post by Wombat »

Nanohedron wrote: When farting at table in public, I think good manners dictate that one NOT direct one's emissions toward others whenever one has such an option. Right or left becomes a matter of exercising consideration and, consequently, social skills.
Absolutely. Serious etiquette is involved here. People can get fractious. Witness the following exahnge:

1st man: How dare you f*rt in front of my wife?
2nd man: I'm dreadfully sorry. I didn't realise it was her turn.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

There's a form of table etiquette that I picked up during my brief stay in Japan: with rice bowl in one hand and chopsticks in the other, I pick up pieces of food, position them over the rice bowl (extended toward the dish of food) to catch any drips, and bring both bowl and chopsticks up to and somewhat under my face, and eat thusly. Putting one's face down toward one's food to eat is considered boorish, there, speaking of boors.

Even in Chinese restaurants, now, I needs me rice bowl. Can't stand it if it's heaped up on a plate.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

Walden wrote:I'd like to extend a hand of reconciliation. Let's join hands, around the table, and sing! "There's no place that I'd rather be than right here, with my red necks, white socks..."
Ah! Tip of the baseball cap to Walden!

Be it ever so bumble...

:lol:
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Lambchop wrote: But it isn't about YOU at all. It's about YOUR HOSTESS and HER feelings.
[/b]
I'm wondering, in a college mess hall, who was the hostess that was going to be offended?
Nanohedron wrote: Even in Chinese restaurants, now, I needs me rice bowl. Can't stand it if it's heaped up on a plate.
Lol, I do the same thing. I find it amusing when occasionally I get the sideways glance from the more "socially refined" when I eat this way. Amusing, because it's the proper way to eat rice, and doubly amusing when I watch them try to eat rice with chopstics when it's served on a plate with a bit of a lip. ;)
Denny

Post by Denny »

Wanderer wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Even in Chinese restaurants, now, I needs me rice bowl. Can't stand it if it's heaped up on a plate.
Lol, I do the same thing. I find it amusing when occasionally I get the sideways glance from the more "socially refined" when I eat this way. Amusing, because it's the proper way to eat rice, and doubly amusing when I watch them try to eat rice with chopstics when it's served on a plate with a bit of a lip. ;)
Well duh!

If you are going to eat rice with chopsticks it is much easier to do it in the traditional way...
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Nanohedron wrote:Even in Chinese restaurants, now, I needs me rice bowl. Can't stand it if it's heaped up on a plate.
Not to drag the thread off down a bunny trail, but most Chinese restaurants I've been to in the US have terrible rice. It's usually so dry that you can hardly pick it up with your chopsticks. Japanese and Korean restaurants don't seem to have this problem. My older son thinks it's cooked that way to match American taste. My wife's suspicion was that they cook it dry so that they could re-steam uneaten rice the next day--and the day after that--without it becoming unmanageably soggy. Whatever the reason, it's no excuse. :evil:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Wanderer wrote:
Lambchop wrote: But it isn't about YOU at all. It's about YOUR HOSTESS and HER feelings.
[/b]
I'm wondering, in a college mess hall, who was the hostess that was going to be offended?
The surly one with the hairy mole and who chews gum while occasionally scratching her arm with the ladle.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Nanohedron wrote: The surly one with the hairy mole and who chews gum while occasionally scratching her arm with the ladle.
Well yeah, I suppose you wouldn't want to offend that one ;)
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
[/b]
The surly one with the hairy mole and who chews gum while occasionally scratching her arm with the ladle.
This is not the one to set off. :o
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Darwin wrote:
Not to drag the thread off down a bunny trail, but most Chinese restaurants I've been to in the US have terrible rice. It's usually so dry that you can hardly pick it up with your chopsticks. Japanese and Korean restaurants don't seem to have this problem. My older son thinks it's cooked that way to match American taste. My wife's suspicion was that they cook it dry so that they could re-steam uneaten rice the next day--and the day after that--without it becoming unmanageably soggy. Whatever the reason, it's no excuse. :evil:
THANK you. If it's to "match" American tastes, nobody asked ME. Chinese restaurant rice often tastes bad, too. Chalky, like. I suppose that's what the drippings are for: to modify the taste.
djm

Post by djm »

That's done to make fried rice the next day. Round-eyes order more fried rice than steamed rice, which, of course, offends the Chinese, who consider fried rice to be leftovers, not something to server to guests. Same with hot and sour soup - something for leftovers, but the round-eyes love it.

We haven't got into the other gaseous exchange - belching. My favourite trick is to sit back in a comfortable way after a big meal and let a good one go, just to see how many others will let go before they realize they've committed a faux pas. I catch a lot of women out this way. I know belching is considered good manners in some places, but none that worry about such matters as we here. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:That's done to make fried rice the next day. Round-eyes order more fried rice than steamed rice, which, of course, offends the Chinese, who consider fried rice to be leftovers, not something to server to guests. Same with hot and sour soup - something for leftovers, but the round-eyes love it.
Oh, fer cryin' out loud. They could just leave the day-old stuff to frickin' DRY OUT ON ITS OWN. As if it wouldn't. How lazy, and inconsiderate of the patrons. Sheesh. Argh. Grumble.
djm wrote:We haven't got into the other gaseous exchange - belching. My favourite trick is to sit back in a comfortable way after a big meal and let a good one go, just to see how many others will let go before they realize they've committed a faux pas. I catch a lot of women out this way. I know belching is considered good manners in some places, but none that worry about such matters as we here. :D

djm
I never considered that burps, like yawns, might be contagious!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

djm wrote:...We haven't got into the other gaseous exchange - belching. My favourite trick is to sit back in a comfortable way after a big meal and let a good one go, just to see how many others will let go before they realize they've committed a faux pas. I catch a lot of women out this way. I know belching is considered good manners in some places, but none that worry about such matters as we here. :D

djm
You catch out a lot of women this way? You mean they start leaning back in their chairs and start belching along with you and then suddenly realize they are behaving like the very people who have been embarrassing them all their lives? :boggle: :boggle: I just plain don't believe that :lol:. You are clearly swallowing too much air while you are eating if you have to let a "good one go". Probably if you didn't shovel in your food it would help. Dude, the way you describe your table behavior makes me wonder that there are a lot of women who will dine with you :lol: !!!If you don't get repeat customers, I can suggest some reasons why that might be. Mercy!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

:lol: I think it reveals how much many women appreciate the satisfaction a good belch brings after a sumptuous repast. Either that, or the belch was already lurking in the background, and as Nano points out, the power of suggestion encourages release before the hapless victim has a chance to consider the propriety of letting that deep, rich, reverbrating blast echo about the room. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.