Devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

mukade wrote:The main lesson I have learned from Roland's posts is the incredible power of nasal hair.
Much to the consternation of my wife I have stopped clipping mine and I feel like a new man.
Careful, old chap. If you grow your nasal hair long enough she'll feel like a new man too.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Now whatchadoin?

ps. I'm so glad Roland finally learned how to maintain a thread rather than starting a new thread every time he posted.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

Some of us are not as quick as others! It is only kind to make allowances!
Ro

PS I didn't think of it myself: Dale suggested it!!
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Let me point out that the focus on nasal hair should be broadened to include the wonders of earstaches ... DH's is the wing variety, that fringes, rather heavily, the outer edge of the lower curve. Fun stuff! :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

We have been to the sea today! Lesley is still in the wheelchair, to her total disgust, but at least she gets there that way! She says it is worse than taking a baby out, by the time I have got her into the car, followed by the wheelchair, the oxygen bottle just in case, etc etc. However, she loved it. It was pretty cold, but sparkly when not raining, and it definitely did us both good as we both fell asleep as soon as we got home again! This is definitely becoming a house of sleep! Danger! Do not visit!

At least it is not quiet any more! Most of her waking hours (which are still relatively few) Lesley is whistling, renewing her acquaintance with old tunes and learning new ones. She still has problems with the faster reels as her hands are slow, so she is working on the Breton Breeze to speed herself up (and not doing badly, either, although she thinks she is!) It is so wonderful to hear her again.

She is also practising walking, trying to increase the distance before she goes blue a little each time. She has no intention of being beaten. She did think about taking up some "old lady" hobbies, like tatting or Bingo, but decided she'd rather make whistles. I've been instructed to put a stool by the bench in the garage so that she can perch there, but I don't think she will achieve much yet. Any arm movement is still painful, in fact I think really any movement is painful, but no one here will admit it!

It is definitely the whistling that is keeping her sane, although even that has to be done in short bursts between big gasps! She just loves the tunes, and gets very cross when her hands or her breath don't obey her! She is so good - never complains about pain or inability, although I know both must be gnawing at her. We both know how lucky she is to be here at all. I think she has some writing ideas too, although that is something else which is awkward for her still. She has always been a scribbler - poetry, short stories, long stories: she says she might get a book out of this "spare time". And as she can't go out birdwatching she is surveying the garden from the window, counting common birds, butterflies, bugs - you name it. She is not getting bored!

My short update has grown again! Thank you all for your continued concern. We are well.

Ro
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Nothing better for an ailing heart than a good whistle tune. :)

And, yes, that's a professional medical opinion.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Doc Jones wrote:Nothing better for an ailing heart than a good whistle tune. :)
And hope. And love.

And we know Lesley has all three. :)

I'm so happy to hear Lesley is home and whistling again!
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Cork

Post by Cork »

Hearing that you both are back at home is great news, so much better than those days at hospital.

Perhaps the hard part, however, could be for the two of you to keep to small steps, and not giant strides. It's an exercise in patience, no doubt.

Indeed, you may even encounter a new level of frustration with just that, but please remember, that we are here to share that with you, too.

:-)
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Doc Jones wrote:Nothing better for an ailing heart than a good whistle tune. :)

And, yes, that's a professional medical opinion.

Doc
Ain't it true! Music frees (and feeds) the body and soul!

Wonderful news here! Sorry I've not checked in recently -- work you know arrrgg! but just want to say my best healing wishes are still being pumped into the ether for you!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

devondancer wrote: She did think about taking up some "old lady" hobbies, like tatting ...
Tatting? Did you mean tattooing? I hope you didn't mean knitting, that's a young person's hobby round our house, strictly for the under 30s.
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

For Martin: Tatting - knotted lace edging made by hand with a shuttle from sewing thread (Chambers dictionary). The fact that you haven't heard of it proves it is an old lady's activity! Lesley's grandmother used to do it, and sew the edging round hankies.

Slow day today: Lesley could not get herself going this morning - not enough breath to get out of bed, and a lot of pain she wasn't owning up to. She made it to the shower by sheer willpower and spent the rest of the morning propped up on the sofa getting her breath back. This afternoon she has managed to potter round the living room, but no further, but she has had enough breath for short bursts of whistling. She calls it Whistlestop! We both know these days will happen and just hope they will get fewer as time goes by.

Thank you all for your kind words and support. Your help when I am disheartened is enormous. I think Lesley copes far better than I do with her setbacks, but of course she won't say she isn't coping because she doesn't want to worry me! When I see her like that it just breaks my heart - for her, not for me. I am happy to have her on whatever terms, but this is not the life she wanted. She will not say so, will adapt, change her goals, paint her own silver lining, as Annie said, but I have no idea how she can do it! She is one strong woman (inside only, unfortunately!)

But we are here, together, and life is infinitely better than it appeared only a week ago. If Lesley can get through this, I can too, with her help, and yours. Her music is dragging her back, and she is taking me with her. What a blessing it is, and how glad I am that she plays a small instrument that she can still manage!

Thank you, my friends.

Ro
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Forgot - supposed to leave a message for Mr Harmonica (Steve). Lesley says she can have as much Cornish icecream as she wants because her mother's parents were Cornish, from Hayle (Trevaskis). She tells me this is important!
Ro
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Dear Lesley,

Don't push too hard. Be patient. A slow, peaceful recovery will do you better in the long run than rushing things. Let your body heal at its own rate and enjoy being waited on for a change. :)

If you feel you absoultley must do something, learn a new whistle tune.

Best,

Patrick
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

R-E-S-T! Don't overdo, Lesley. That body's been through a lot--invasions and whatnot--and wants plenty of time to contemplate and mend.

I've always wanted to learn tatting (now that I'm older I could do it, I suppose). Of course tattooing would be fun too!

Susan
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

It must be terribly frustrating to have gone through all this and finally be home but not able to do as you would like. Let me chime in on the 'take it EASY' chorus.

Lesley, (putting on my 'mom' face, earnestly peering over the tops of my spectacles)

You are worn out. Take it easy. Don't over stress yourself at this stage. If you push too hard and get sick now, you don't have the reserves to fight it, and may end up right back in the hospital, and you know good and well that's not the place you want to be. Small steps. Small goals. Patience. You will get through this if you keep at it slow and steady*.

Now is an excellent time for movie watching, book reading, knitting, tatting, cross-stitch, sorting old photos, writing, painting, cutting snow-flakes, listening to music, learning new tunes, practicing others, and visits from friends... Quiet activities, short walks, mild exercise. The little things now will make the larger things more possible later, whereas trying to do the bigger ones now will just get you into trouble.

(mom mode off)

*Be the turtle. :P
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com