Literacy

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Literacy

Post by benhall.1 »

No, that's not what I meant. I know that facit and facere are from the same verb. I was just trying to reproduce what the OED says, so that it was clear. The point I was making is that the OED says that "factitious" comes from "facticius", which was a Latin word which meant "made from art". "Factitious" doesn't come directly from facere, although "facticius", the Latin word, clearly did. And I certainly wasn't trying to imply any value judgement by the OED. I've looked through my post again, and I just can't see how it could be interepreted that way ... ? Do you mean, by saying that the OED is saying that "factitious" didn't come directly from "facere" or "facit"? That is what it says, if you follow the OED's useage - it gives the primary source of the word first and then any derivations of that primary source. Or am I missing something?

Mind you, I am looking at the 13 volume OED right now, and I'm blowed if I can see where it uses the word "factitious" in describing "its" or "it's" at all. Is this an issue connected with which edition I have? Or have I missed another point (more than possible)?

And, after all this, it still remains the case that the correct current form of the genitive neuter is "its", not "it's".
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I now think that illiterate means "not able to communicate".
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I.D.10-t wrote:I now think that illiterate means "not able to communicate".
Sign me up.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

It doesn't mean 'art' in the high art sense, it means art in the sense of artifice, artificial, or artefact - the product of deliberate human intelligence, rather than grown, born, or created by accident. "Made' comes pretty close; in the form 'begotten, not made', this the term the nicene creed uses to draw the identical distinction.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I like "dyscommunicative" for that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Nanohedron wrote:
Such a waste of vocabulary.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Such a waste of vocabulary.
I toss 'em out like candy at a dentists' convention.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

So it is bait I ate?

I dislike the rule of three.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:So it is bait I ate?
Not this time. I was just chatting, as it were.
I.D.10-t wrote:I dislike the rule of three.
So do I. I miss the days when we went nutso with that stuff.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

benhall.1 wrote: Mind you, I am looking at the 13 volume OED right now, and I'm blowed if I can see where it uses the word "factitious" in describing "its" or "it's" at all. Is this an issue connected with which edition I have? Or have I missed another point (more than possible)?
It's in my Shorter OED, which isn't the most current edition, in exactly the passage I quoted earlier, which is very near the top of def. 1 of 'it'.
Last edited by s1m0n on Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

s1m0n wrote:A change similar to the invention of 'it's' as the neuter pronoun is occurring right now. In the past two or three decades, people have been abandoning the awkward 'he or she' for a non-gendered or rather unspecified or uncertain gender second person singular pronoun, and opting to use the plural form 'they' instead. I expect we all likely do it, but a generation or so ago that would not have been correct. 20 years ago if I'd heard someone use 'they' for a romantic interest, I'd have mentally busted them as gay, but now you can hear it from anyone.
This is very interesting. I think it's been going on for far longer than you suggest, actually, Simon. I don't possess a book scholarly enough to delve into this matter, but I'm always mindful of the propensity in more than one language to use the "plural" in more formal or polite settings. "Vous" in French for example, or, in the northern England dialects, "thou" and "thee," which are ambiguous and interchangeable with respect to intended singular or plural. Alongside all that, the use of "their" to get round the clumsy issue of "his or her" seems positively in keeping, not jarring at all, and quite elegant with it. I think that the strategy has far more to do with avoiding clumsiness than it has with political correctness, ever the way with English. As we haven't really got a word to fit in English, I think the solution we've arrived at is actually quite graceful.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

SteveShaw wrote:"Vous" in French for example, or, in the northern England dialects, "thou" and "thee," which are ambiguous and interchangeable with respect to intended singular or plural.
I called he, she and they second person, but they're actually third. I meant third. Your examples, - you, Thee, Thou, Tu and Vous are all second-person pronouns, and they're not numbered or gendered in english or french. Except in Texas*.

I dunno about Yorkshire, but the French they teach in Canadian schools has no ungendered third person plural; or rather it does, but it's ils, which is the same as the masculine form. That's the closest the french I know gets to 'they'. I have no idea what's being taught to present ESL learners.

*Where second person singular is y'all and plural is all y'all.

C.S. Lewis
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

dwest wrote:Its cause more womans then mans are graduating from collage. If moore mens graduated the literal rate would go bach up,
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
that's the funniest thing I've read in a long time! :lol: :lol:
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

First- I haven't read this whole thread-

Now that graduation time is upon us, I see quite a number of announcements/thank you cards coming through the mail. Just a couple of days ago I remarked on one among many that looked like my first grade granddaughter had addressed the letter. Pitiful. I can only imagine how impressive :sleep: their job applications will look if these folks have to actually put pen to paper.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Pen to paper? They should be so lucky if any live human being actually reads their CV at all. They'll submit their applications online and a machine will read it. They'll do a lot better refining their CV's keywords than they will its penmanship. Or even penwomanship.

C.S. Lewis