Devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Devondancer update

Post by The Weekenders »

I didn't know they said that in Britain! I heard it in India but thought it peculiar to them.... Our food industry types decided to change the name of rapeseed oil to canola, which is odd in its own way. I think it's supposed to remind 'Mericans of Mazola; good ol' corn oil. But I really do not like the taste effect of the big switch to canola in many, many products.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

SteveShaw wrote:
djm wrote:groundnut oil = peanut oil

djm
Yes, but we don't call it peanut oil here. I always try to be helpful rather than obscurantist. :really:
I was going to let it pass, but what did you mean by saying you found even some of the extra virgin olive oil as "greasy".
Isn't greasy the taste quality of all fats (lipids)?

Rancid I would understand. Oils can go rancid by being exposed to light and air. I keep mine in the refrigerator.
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Greasy means leaving a heavy, cloying, oily residue on the food, and thereafter on the tongue. It's that horrid, oily feel in the mouth that comes between you and the flavours in the food. It comes out worst in pasta dressings or pasta sauces. Good oil is sharp, fruity and light in texture. Greasy oil/fat also rears its ugly head in chocolate. Rubbishy chocolate like Cadbury's has a greasy texture in the mouth, whereas nice quality chocolate such as Green and Black's Milk is smooth and light.

I think we can easily be taken in by magic words on labels such as "extra virgin." It says no more about the quality of the oil than "premium" does on sausages or "specially selected" on oranges.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Cork

Post by Cork »

hyldemoer wrote:
lalit wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:I wouldn't use extra virgin oil for sautéeing as it alters chemically at relatively low temperatures.
You've got me curious now. I usually cook at relatively low temperatures, although that's not how I see it done on TV! What kind of temperatures/heat settings are we talking about here?
Perhaps they're talking about heat cracking the carbon bonds?

Ro, if the Mrs. likes vegetable soups and stews, maybe its a good time for crock pot/ slow cookery.

A few bay leaves, some oregano, and other herbs season vegetables cooked in crock pot cookery nicely
and usually without needing extra salt (if salt levels are an issue)

and while its slow cooking all day it perfumes the whole house with a lovely aroma to spike the appetite.

Soups go down easy, especially if you "cream" or mash them up just before serving.
Stews using root vegetables are what the Japanese wrestlers eat to bulk up.

If you don't season the soup or stews with a bit of meat, you might want to try adding some "healthy" oil after you've put the meal in a bowl for serving.

That way you get the lipids (fats) without exposing them to high heat.
This is a post which I could have easily written myself, and thank you, hyldemoer!

And, yes, keeping oils to lower temperatures is a healthy thing. An Estonian born Canadian once wrote a book about just such a thing. He wrote, that if you absolutely must fry something, then use butter.

"Fats that heal, fats that kill" by Erasmus, Udo ISBN 0-920470-38-6
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

I absolutely must fry things. I have a life to live, and life without frying is worse than a vale of tears. For fried eggs or salmon fillets, use half butter and half oil, either light olive oil or groundnut oil. For an omelette, anything other than pure butter is a mortal sin. The butter needs to be almost burning, but not quite, before you add the beaten eggs to the pan. If you have spare cold potatoes, fry in half butter and half groundnut oil, having cut them into bite-size pieces first. Season with freshly-milled black pepper. It's worth boiling up rather too many spuds accidentally-on-purpose the day before so that you can enjoy this treat next day. There is some terrible butter around, and every make of butter on UK shelves with a well-known brand-name is terrible butter. I only ever purchase Trewithen Farm unsalted Cornish butter. It is sweet, tangy and light, like cream, almost fluffy in the pack and on the knife, and tastes absolutely delicious. Kerrygold, Lurpak, Country Life, supermarket own-brands and all those French abominations are heavy and greasy like lard. I might consider using them on my wife's bike's wheel-hubs and bottom bracket, but they are not going anywhere near my food thank you very much. Low-fat spreads and those fake spreads like Olivio, Flora and Utterly-butterly that are margarine in disguise will kill you quicker than anything. If I ever find a pack of any of those in my house there will be a divorce case.

hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Yeah Cork, Udo Erasmus and Mary Enig wrote the books to read on fats.
I've delved into Johanna Budwig quite a bit too.

When I max'd out on flax seed oil we switched over to Udo's Oil. Udo's Oil, a squirt of tamari (soy) sauce, and perhaps just a tiniest bit of balsamic vinegar or fresh lemon juice are my favorite dressings to raw or steamed vegetables.

Ro, there's no law that says one can't put cooked vegetables in an otherly raw green leafy salad to make it easier to eat.
Carrots, turnips, burdock root, beet root, broccoli, sweet potato, cauliflower, and the likes are all easier to eat (especially when one is feeling weak) if they've been lightly steamed (to break the cell walls a bit).

When I cook with oil I use an organic cold pressed coconut oil for its dependable carbon bonds as a saturated fat.
Butter is a saturated fat but I don't cook with it. If I want the flavor of butter I don't waste it in the frying pan. I just butter up the food as it gets plated up.

Ro, I hope we're not scaring you off with all our talk about methods of processing foods. Your dear wife might find it twice amusing to sit in the kitchen giving you direction as you prepared meals the way she does it.
Cork

Post by Cork »

SteveShaw wrote:I absolutely must fry things...
Hyldemoer and I have mentioned something important, in regard to oils and their high temperature use.

As Udo Erasmus, PhD, said, if you're going to fry something, then use butter, and none other.

Otherwise, according to him, frying is largely a major no-no!

Boiling temperatures, however, are OK.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

lalit wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:I wouldn't use extra virgin oil for sautéeing as it alters chemically at relatively low temperatures.
You've got me curious now. I usually cook at relatively low temperatures, although that's not how I see it done on TV! What kind of temperatures/heat settings are we talking about here?
Me too. I don't like letting oil get very hot... of course, that's probably why I have trouble with some dishes.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

I heard a chef on TV once say that olive oil burns at a lower temperature than other oils, so I've since stopped using it for frying. Vegetable oil or rapeseed oil seems a decent alternative anyway.

Steve, while I applaud your outlook I do sometimes think you take this sort of stuff a little too seriously.

Mind you I just remembered I got into an argument with my girlfriend last night after I tried to take the uneaten crispy fat from her pork chop onto my plate to eat. She thought it was disgusting, I thought it was a waste of pig flavoured crispy fat. So perhaps I'm not in a place to cirticise you, though I wouldn't divorce someone over the type of marge in the fridge.
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Thank you all, again!

By the time Lesley is cooking again I will be a fine chef! All your tempting ideas are wonderful and just what she needs. We both appreciate you so much.

Ro
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

SteveShaw wrote:Yes, but we don't call it peanut oil here. I always try to be helpful rather than obscurantist.
NO-ONE here calls them groundnuts. I had to look it up, it is such an obscure term. You have managed to be totally obscurant after all. Hurrah for you. :really:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Ro, the best vehicle for butter is a jacket potato. Easy-peasy. Use the biggest spuds in the bag. Scrub and nick out any bad bits. Rub all over with a drop of oil and some salt (the spuds, not yourself). Put straight on to the oven shelf in a very hot oven and leave for 45-60 minutes (just keep an eye on 'em towards the end). They go with anything - bangers, salad, cheese grated on top, split open with chili sauce on top, baked beans. Just a spud with a knob of butter and some salt and pepper is a great, nutritious snack any time. A good tip is to give each spud a thump once it's done - fluffs up the inside beautifully.

SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

djm wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:Yes, but we don't call it peanut oil here. I always try to be helpful rather than obscurantist.
NO-ONE here calls them groundnuts. I had to look it up, it is such an obscure term. You have managed to be totally obscurant after all. Hurrah for you. :really:

djm
Well if you will live in a remote colony. News travels only slowly in these places. I can tell my brother in New Zealand jokes that were old hat this end thirty years ago and still make him laugh. Have you never heard of the Great British Groundnut fiasco?

tansy

Post by tansy »

thanks to Steve I found myself at the green grocer asking for groundnut oil. I forgive you Steve :) I only use cold pressed olive oil and 1st run. When cooking I don't allow it to get hot enough to smoke.
smoke ='s :devil:
Tansy
from what I understand, the cold pressed (no heat) is of utmost importance, could be hype but i don't think so.
shy the blond water
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Hello! Ro has the flu, I think, and is safely in bed, so I am in charge today!! What fun! Poor Ro, though. I am being very kind to him!

Thank you so much for the lovely food ideas. They are great and I will soon not be able to fit in my clothes! Much appreciated.

I am off to argue with the kettle and make Ro some hot lemon and honey.

Thank you again.

Lesley