Shall we resume saying how long we've been playing?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Ro3b wrote:I think as far as learning music goes, talent is irrelevant. As a teacher, I understand "I have no talent" to mean "I'm too unmotivated/conflicted/lazy to practice."

Isn't that what I just said? :lol:

See what I get for the rare stab at being politically correct? Misunderstood. :wink:

Which is to say, I agree.

Loren
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

Ro3b wrote:I think as far as learning music goes, talent is irrelevant. As a teacher, I understand "I have no talent" to mean "I'm too unmotivated/conflicted/lazy to practice."
I wouldn't say that talent is <i>totally</i> irrelevant to learning. Talent is what will influence the speed at which the pupil is able to learn and pick up new tricks. No one is truly born with the ability to play flute (or do anything else, for that matter) but some folks do pick it up much quicker than others do, with less need to practice. And there are some folks who, no matter how hard they practice or how long they live, will never make it beyond a certain level. Talent is not a yes-you-have-it-or-no-you-don't thing, it's a continuum. Some people do have more talent than others, which helps them learn quicker and sometimes with no apparent effort at all. But the effort is there, apparent or not.

And although unwelcome, I'm sure any teacher would rather hear the words "I have no talent" from a student than the words "I have no money." Although the latter <i>is</i> a nice tune...
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Define talent.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Second this. Why I never made it to the majors.

I think when you get to the top of any difficult field
you start running into people who are extraordinarily
gifted.

Matters a lot less for us amateurs.
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Ro3b wrote:Define talent.
A natural inherent ability to perform some activity. Those who are said to be "talented" typically perform a given activity better than the "average" person given that both have been given the same instruction/training.

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Denny

Post by Denny »

johnkerr wrote:No one is truly born with the ability to play flute (or do anything else, for that matter) but some folks do pick it up much quicker than others do, with less need to practice.
ahem,

mammals
they all know how to suck

we're a bit slower at learning how to walk than most of the rest :D
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Denny wrote:
johnkerr wrote:No one is truly born with the ability to play flute (or do anything else, for that matter) but some folks do pick it up much quicker than others do, with less need to practice.
ahem,

mammals

we're a bit slower at learning how to walk than most of the rest :D
Or breath. We all are pretty much born with that ability.

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

kennychaffin wrote:
A natural inherent ability to perform some activity. Those who are said to be "talented" typically perform a given activity better than the "average" person given that both have been given the same instruction/training.

KAC
Sounds good as a definition, in theory, however 25+ years of teaching people physical skills (professionally) has proven to me that in reality, that definition doesn't hold: The people who start off appearing to have the most "talent", that is to say those who initially pick things up quickly, often are not the one's who become the best over longer periods of time.

I don't think talent is a useful term, as it is typically used to describe someone who has unusual physical attributes (Speed, strength, flexibility, endurance, IQ, dexterity, etc.), however those attributes alone do not lead someone to unusual success, in most cases. The additional attributes of mental toughness, self disciple, work ethic, durability, and such, along with good coaching/instruction...... things that aren't so clear always initially in terms of results, often have more bearing on what people see as talent, than an initial ability to pick things up quickly due to a better physical make up.

Loren
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Denny wrote:mammals
Not only that. Some (to steal a line from Bart Simpson) know how to both suck AND blow.
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Loren wrote:
kennychaffin wrote:

KAC
Sounds good as a definition, in theory, however 25+ years of teaching people physical skills (professionally) has proven to me that in reality, that definition doesn't hold: The people who start off appearing to have the most "talent", that is to say those who initially pick things up quickly, often are not the one's who become the best over longer periods of time.

I don't think talent is a useful term, as it is typically used to describe someone who has unusual physical attributes (Speed, strength, flexibility, endurance, IQ, dexterity, etc.), however those attributes alone do not lead someone to unusual success, in most cases. The additional attributes of mental toughness, self disciple, work ethic, durability, and such, along with good coaching/instruction...... things that aren't so clear always initially in terms of results, often have more bearing on what people see as talent, than an initial ability to pick things up quickly due to a better physical make up.

Loren
Agreed. I was simply attempting to define talent (per the request) in my own words. There are many other factors that play into "success" or prominence or whatever you want to call the end/final result. :)

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

kennychaffin wrote: Agreed. I was simply attempting to define talent (per the request) in my own words. There are many other factors that play into "success" or prominence or whatever you want to call the end/final result. :)

KAC
Agreed. :wink:

Loren
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

johnkerr wrote:I wouldn't say that talent is <i>totally</i> irrelevant to learning. Talent is what will influence the speed at which the pupil is able to learn and pick up new tricks.
Nope, sorry, I disagree. Unless (and I just thought of this) we define talent as what you have when you make a committment to working hard at learning, keep at it for a few years, and improve to the point where people start saying "Oooh, you're so talented!"
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Ro3b wrote:
johnkerr wrote:I wouldn't say that talent is <i>totally</i> irrelevant to learning. Talent is what will influence the speed at which the pupil is able to learn and pick up new tricks.
Nope, sorry, I disagree. Unless (and I just thought of this) we define talent as what you have when you make a committment to working hard at learning, keep at it for a few years, and improve to the point where people start saying "Oooh, you're so talented!"
You don't think a person with more natural talent who works hard at learning will make more progress in a given amount of time than a person with less natural talent who works just as hard at learning would make in that same time? That's all I'm saying. And I can even think of a certain guy who borrows my flutes a lot who's definitely made more progress over just the past few years than I have in my entire playing career, even though I've probably spent many more hours in my time at working hard and learning than he has in his time. Why? Because he's more talented than I am.

The first dictionary.com definition of talent is "a special natural ability or aptitude: <i>a talent for drawing</i>." That does sort of imply that it's not something you can gain more of by practicing or working harder.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

And, Rob, to get back to your earlier comment about students saying they have no talent, perhaps as a teacher your retort to that should be <i>Have you put in the time and hard work yet to know that that's true, or are you just guessing?</i>
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Newton developed the beginning of calculus in his
early 20s. Einstein published his paper presenting
the theory of relativity when he was 26.
David Hume published The Treatise
of Human Nature at 24.

No, this didn't happen because they worked harder
than everybody else.

Mozart wasn't famous as a child because he worked
really really hard.

Acknowledging that some people have a greater natural
aptitude than others for some pursuits isn't saying
that nothing else matters more.

It is also true that talent can be a problem, that sometimes
less talented people are more creative, that the
race isn't always to the swift.