Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
treeshark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by treeshark »

Bothrops wrote:I learnt a new tune this week, I love it:

"Brian Boru's March" (way much tonguing, I realized when I recorded it, sorry)

http://audio.xanga.com/Bothrops/343312203058/audio.html

Comments welcome.
Well done you keep it going and hold on to your tone mostly, but you are slightly missing the feel of the tune, I think it should be more aggressive and the first down beat pushed with your breath, it's a march you should feel those boots hitting the ground!
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

Here's a tune I love to play. I don't recall where I learned it. I suppose I got it from the 'dots.' I'd be interested to hear some other takes.
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/3uai21ugwo
(the torrid romance) I play this with boil the breakfast early. I think that's a fun combination.
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Bothrops

Your man of the house was nicely played. Be nice to hear it a second time through. Your soft flute sound has charm. Not overly fancy (not a critisium- straight can be great) and it works well and seems to give respect to the tune.

Kevin
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Mahanpots

You have given me some of the most useful advice from both here and whistle this. Very much appreciated. I've always found it difficult to say much in return so have not said much. Here I wont say much again.

Man of the house and Tim Malony's. Two very nice tunes. BTW the volume of the recording is quite low on playback for me. I liked your playing of the tunes. You seem to have most of the aspects of playing sorted.

I think it's now a question of style. Difficult to comment without knowing what your aiming at. It's very individual. Suggest you might want to look at some examples of players you admire on these tunes, if you havn't already. Possibly look at some players that you would not be so keen on as well. Have a bit of a go at picking up some aspects of the way they approach the tunes. You can then drop those that you find you don't like (or just don't suit you) and develop those that you do. Your playing of these is quite soft, nice, quite stylish as is,and sounds better to me after listening to it a few times. You might? want to look at the phrasing. Maybe listen to or see how a bit more drama can be put into the tunes by phrasing. I think with just an odd bit of empathis,eg at the start of phrases, extending some notes, shorting others or leaving out. I love Tim Molney's when it is given this drama, it contains great phrases which you play very evenly. You have a nice steady flow and I won't like to see you move far from where you are with these two. ie keep that steadiness to your setting but maybe just put a slight puch to some notes, small breaks,etc to let the tune, get a bigger freer feel. I wouldn't over do it. Be careful. I think with just a little change you playing could be really appealling to me at least, but of course that's a personal tatse.

There a lot of words to say not much. Sorry about the spelling I'm pushed for time and haven't used spell check.

Kevin

Kevin
Last edited by gorjuswrex on Tue May 13, 2008 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Arbo

Personnally I too found the Honks on man of the house off putting. I don't think they were always in approraite places for the rthyem of the tune. This seems to make the phrasing less clear than it could be. Also takes away some lift from the tune. I'd keep the honks but have less. I think they would be fairly confusing to a dancer as they stand. Used more approprately they would help a dancer feel the beat and give lift.

Kevin
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Arbo

Liked your return from Fingal.

Kevin
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

gorjuswrex wrote:Arbo

Personnally I too found the Honks on man of the house off putting. I don't think they were always in approraite places for the rthyem of the tune. This seems to make the phrasing less clear than it could be. Also takes away some lift from the tune. I'd keep the honks but have less. I think they would be fairly confusing to a dancer as they stand. Used more approprately they would help a dancer feel the beat and give lift.

Kevin
Kevin,

Fair enough. I think I already mentioned to Michael that I too, thought the honks were a bit much. I will try and find some time to redo the tune in the near future. I appreciate you giving a listen. Since the man of the house isn't a tune I have under my belt, I had recorded it sight reading the tune. Once I have the tune learned, and have played around with it a bit I shall give it another go. Perhaps you'd be willing to post a version of the tune as well?
Thanks, Arbo.
drewr

Post by drewr »

I just got my Dave Copley delrin flute in the mail yesterday. I'm very impressed with the tone and volume of this flute, but I'm still getting used to it of course.

Here's a quick couple songs on this nice instrument:

http://www.box.net/shared/jxfg14mwww

http://www.box.net/shared/iozy4hqsk4

-
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

ImNotIrish wrote:Here's a tune I love to play. I don't recall where I learned it. I suppose I got it from the 'dots.' I'd be interested to hear some other takes.
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/3uai21ugwo
(the torrid romance) I play this with boil the breakfast early. I think that's a fun combination.
Nice playing Arbo.
What came to mind for me was something Cocusflute posted about a player on Youtube:
Everything is relaxed and easy and she's playing within her comfort zone. Her ornaments are crisp and tastefully used. You can hear the melody clearly. Nothing is forced. The tone is rounded rather than shrill.
I've got to admit that Cocusflute's post often get under my skin in an irritating way, probably because he's saying something that strikes me as pertaining to my own playing.

"The truth will set you free...but first it will piss you off."

The part of his comment that keeps repeating in my head is "You can hear the melody clearly." I've been listening a lot to Wooden Flute Obsession cds and hearing the melody clearly played, and then hearing myself play and realizing when the melody is clear and when it is not. When I realize I can't hear the melody clearly in my playing, I stop and examine what I'm doing to prevent the melody forming clearly. Am I rushing through the tune? Is there a section I muddle through because I haven't got it down correctly? Do I need to take a breath somewhere else? Add a note before a new measure instead of a pause?

I hesitate to say much about the tune, since I'm not familiar with it. I did try to find a recording of it online and found one by Trian (Liz Carrol and Billy McComiskey, et. al.). But it was a short clip, played quite at a rapid pace.

Keep up the good work, and I'll try to do the same,

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

mahanpots wrote:
Nice playing Arbo.
What came to mind for me was something Cocusflute posted about a player on Youtube:
Everything is relaxed and easy and she's playing within her comfort zone. Her ornaments are crisp and tastefully used. You can hear the melody clearly. Nothing is forced. The tone is rounded rather than shrill.
I've got to admit that Cocusflute's post often get under my skin in an irritating way, probably because he's saying something that strikes me as pertaining to my own playing.

The part of his comment that keeps repeating in my head is "You can hear the melody clearly."
Michael

Thanks, Michael. I, too am hearing the great words of Cocusflute. I thought that I played that tune a little fast for my comfort zone (some of the triplet runs got lost, etc.), but I am trying to keep the idea of hearing the melody clearly in the forefront of my mind.
Arbo
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Perhaps you'd be willing to post a version of the tune as well?
Thanks, Arbo.

At this stage Man of the house isn't a tune I know well enough to play solo. It's one of those MANY tunes I'd love to have time to sit down and get sorted also Tim Molony's as in Mahanpot's set. So many things get in the way of what's important.......like cutting the grass which is what i need to do next
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Here's a second take of the man of the house. I tried to lay off the honks somewhat, but as I listen they are still there, although not as forceful. I played the first take on my original Pratten. The second take is on my original R&R. Feedback welcomed. Thanks, Arbo.

http://www.box.net/shared/191mtuww0g
(man of the house/ Pratten)

http://www.box.net/shared/fqocz1mo0s
(man of the house #2/ R&R)
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Nice playing Arbo. I went back and listened to the first Man of the House you shared, and I couldn't tell much difference. I think you play Irish flute very well indeed. I've not really been playing much lately. The wife has been at home the past three days, and it puts a cramp on my practice time for some reason.
It was nice to hear the two flutes. I notice on the R&R you tended to play an octave lower at times. Is that something you do with that flute, or just something you do every now and then. I do it also. I think it's a nice variation, and it worked well in your version of the tune.

Cheers,

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

very very nice arbo, i really enjoyed it. of the two i prefer the first one, to me the pratten sounds more appropriate to your style of playing. also, as michael noticed, you tend to go lower on high notes on the R&R, and we already talked about what i think about it :P
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Michael and Othannen,
Thanks for the comments. They are greatly appreciated. I do appreciate everyone's feedback. I have been trying to incorporate the numerous suggestions I have received over the past several months. It's tough to keep it all in my head as I am playing through a tune... the intonation, clarity of each note, precision of each ornament, timing and steady rhythm, and tone production. My slips into the lower octave are admittedly somewhat unconscious. I think in the Patten example of the Man of the House, I was making a very conscious effort to keep the high notes where they belonged. The second take less so. On the second take I had finally memorized the tune, but really only had a few run-throughs before recording it. With time I am sure I will settle into version I like. Anyway thanks again. And please, do keep posting!
Slan, Arbo.