Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

Akiba wrote:Each one was first try efforts--no retakes.
Often times, I find a 'first take' to be the best of the lot!
Arbo

Here's my take on the 'ocean.'
http://www.box.net/shared/nhvsqvzgog
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

ImNotIrish wrote: Here's my take on the 'ocean.'
And here I was expecting something in odd time. Dude, that is soooo false advertising........

Loren
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Loren wrote:
ImNotIrish wrote: Here's my take on the 'ocean.'
And here I was expecting something in odd time. Dude, that is soooo false advertising........

Loren

:( :o :x :-? :oops: :cry: :evil: :sniffle: :swear:

Loren, I don't know which one of the above I should use. And I couldn't find one for 'dense.'
Arbo
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gorjuswrex »

Jason
I've just listened to out on the ocean. Nice one. I can't see any problem with your breating, it seems good to me!
This would sould really nice with some accompanyment, but it's also nice as your solo.

Kevin
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Jason
Re Castle Kelly
Again nice playing but it didn't work quite so well as the Ocean for me. I can hear a big influence of the 'master' in the Ocean. I wonder if you used anyone as a refernce for this one? if not it might be usefull to listen to a few players settings of it.
This might be largely my personal response to it but I found it a bit rigid. Your A's in the first part seem like they could do with a bit more rolls. By varing the phrasing etc you could put more drama and drive into the tune. There is still quite a lot in your playing of this that appeals to me though and I woudn't change it too much. Keep that sort of style!

Well done for going for it with the first take.

Kevin
Last edited by gorjuswrex on Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Arbo

Out on the Ocean...

I don't like the alternating A B notes you play on the first bar, as you probably know it normally drops to G in that phrase. You could maybe use it as a variation but I think it might need more of a B roll on it, here you repeat it too much.

I think you have used MM's version but to me you seem to have gone too much for using some of his techniques but the overall feel of the tune is like a not very good copy of MM. I think you need to look at it and put more of your own feeling into it. Sorry to say it's not one of my favouites form yourself.

Kevin
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaMzgA2V7Gk

What a surpise, another version of the Ocean .Thanks for that one Loren.Almost trad I suppose now.

Takes me back to the days of my youth when I had hair and spots and blasted this one out for all it was worth. NIce one.

I had the later Zepplin album which had a 'world music' backing arabic etc , great stuff but I lent it and never got it back.

Kevin
Last edited by gorjuswrex on Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

My second try at the Shaskeen reel. I've put more of the querky nice bits into this and hopefully it's better than the last. Comments very much welcome.

http://www.box.net/shared/dtu1xktssk

Kevin
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

here's a second take on Foggerty's fancy the Paddy O'Brien tune. Hopefully it's better than the one on my signature. Comments very welcome. Sorry that these only semm to be playable by download, I can't get them to play directly from the Box site. Could it be because I using an old PC and Windows 98?

http://www.box.net/shared/ebcrsuts84

Kevin
Last edited by gorjuswrex on Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

strange, i can't hear your clips Kevin...
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I've just discovered today that somehow the demo clips I did on the F flute and posted last week have been corrupted on/by YouTube - they've mysteriously been cut short by about 1/3 of their lengths, although well within YT upload limits etc. Any of you have viewed them must have wondered what was going on...... I have therefore deleted them and re-uploaded them, but the same thing happened - they uploaded fine and showed at full length, but then within 10 minutes were mysteriously cut to exactly the same places as first time around. :boggle: :swear: . I've tried to report the problem to YouTube and will wait to see what happens - anyone come across this or similar probs before? As and when it gets fixed, I'll provide the new links.

EDIT (11:6:08): New YouTube uploads apparently successful at last!

Description, scales & arpeggios, The Rights of Man
Winnie Hayes Jig & The Lonesome Jig

Any comments/feedback gratefully received.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Nice tunes and well-played, I thought, Kevin. I especially appreciated Foggerty's, which sounds to me to be a difficult tune. I wish I had the inspiration and/or time to learn more tunes.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Kevin,

Thanks for your feedback on both tunes. Yes, Castle Kelly could certainly do with some more seasoning (as with most of my tunes, i.e. I hear it takes playing a tune hundreds of times to really "get" it, which I think is probably true). It's a new tune for me, so I haven't discovered any further variation yet. Your right, I would like to hear some settings and recordings of it. I'll even make a confession here: I learned CK from the dots and haven't heard it played ever other than myself playing it--very perceptive of you to pick up on that fact as compared to my OutotOcean clip.

Jason
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

jemtheflute wrote:I've just discovered today ... they can be viewed/downloaded via these links:

Winnie Hayes' Jig/The Lonesome Jig

F flute demo - description, scales and arpeggios, The Rights of Man

Any comments/feedback gratefully received. Oh, and please can someone let me know if these new links work OK as I haven't used this method with this host service before - any probs, tell me and I'll try another fix.
Jem,

I gave your youtube clips a listen, but couldn't watch them all the way through because the timing was off. Video was playing real fast, way ahead of audio.
I downloaded your Rights of Man. Great stuff. I like all the variations.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes