Devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Devondancer update

Post by Redwolf »

devondancer wrote:if I didn't regularly and forcibly remove them.
Why Lesley! You ARE feeling better! :twisted:

My hubby's a computer programmer, and they're the same way. Makes him easy to spot in a crowd on a hot summer day...he's the only one wearing a long-sleeved, button-front shirt!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

:oops: Hmmm. I see that didn't come out quite as I intended! Better not say any more or my foot will be permanently wedged in my mouth, and walking is complicated enough already!
dwest

Post by dwest »

hyldemoer wrote:
It never occurred to either of them that EMS also meant Early Music Society.
Seems completely rational to me, Emergancy Medical Services, the most common usage of EMS, after the outfitters that is. :wink: I don't really understand the clothes issue, what's wrong with wearing the same stuff? I change my underwear every other day.
Cork

Post by Cork »

devondancer wrote::oops: Hmmm. I see that didn't come out quite as I intended!...
Hmm, yes, me too, and let me add that the professor did wear clean clothes, but day after day and year after year his wardrobe simply didn't change, not one bit. Actually, I've known way more than a few such people, and, ahem, it appears that I'm now one of them, too, and have been for the past few decades or so. And, worse, I do so for essentially the same reason, that it just makes life that much less complicated.

So, please don't blame Ro for doing something altogether normal. He's in great company!

:-D
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

No posts here since Friday . . . Here's hoping Lesley and Ro had an utterly uneventful, delightfully boring weekend. :)
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Yes, we have had a good weekend, Sarah, thank you.

Lesley was delighted to be asked by her consultant to talk to transplant patients, something she is uniquely qualified for now! He also asked her to help out in our local hospice, just as someone to talk to. She was more worried about this, not feeling so "qualified " for it, but it was her first day today.

The staff were delighted with her, saying that they could see her giving people strength just by being with them, and what a help she was. But it was her strength she was giving. When I collected her I was horrified at the exhausted little figure who came in. I virtually carried her out to the car and she is now in bed, totally shattered. I have put my foot down and told both the hospice and the consultant that she will not be back. I would like to keep her alive a little longer after all this trouble, and she will not last long like this.

I will not stop her trying the transplant work but am prepared to if it does not yet suit her. She so desperately wants to be useful, and was so pleased to be asked to do these things, but she is not well enough or strong enough yet. There will be time, eventually, we hope. First she has to heal. She has no spare strength, although she was obviously incredibly good at what she did. She has amazing empathy and inner strength, but her physical strength does not match it.

She is supposed to restart her physio tomorrow, so I hope she will be well enough. She is looking forward to getting going again! Then on Thursday we go back to Cambridge for the first time since the rejection drama. I hope they will be pleased with her this time. However, first she has to recover from today, which has taken virtually everything she had, mental and physical strength. Days like this remind me how ill she has been and how fragile she still is.

Thank you all for your care.

Roland
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I was going to post today that Lesley must be keeping Ro captive or something because we hadn't heard from him in so long. So glad you put your foot down Ro. It's work that Lesley is well suited for but work that will have to wait.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

great to read lesley is doing OK ................. and it really speaks for her how she already gives so much of herself, without thinking about where she has been and that she is still needing her energy for herself first!
and you will have a hard job ro, to try and get her to think of herself first place before she gives her energy away on other things............. but take it as that it is a good sign that she is really on her way.

take care of each other and be blessed
berti
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

(gentle 'mother finger' wagging here)

Lesley, as we told Ro, repeatedly, you have to regain your own strength before you can afford to give it to someone else. You will be great at this, but later. Doing this now taxes you so that you are more prone to sickness and relapse, so you have to wait. Please, recover fully, or at the very least, a whole lot more, before expending so much of your wonderful energy. You will be able to give much more if you do.

Hugs to both,
Sarah
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

EEK! :o

First they wear out Lesley by having her give all her strength to others at the local hospice, and now they're planning more Physio, which always seems to trigger a relapse?

If Lesley wants to be useful, how about NOT giving everybody here a heart attack every couple of weeks?

Everytime I see the word physio in this thread, I'm cowering for the knockback that seems inevitably to follow.

Lesley, you've got to conserve yourself! And then us! :poke:
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

All your kind messages will be given to Lesley, complete with wagging fingers and frowns. Don't worry about that! We haven't yet decided if she will get to Physio this afternoon. I shall see how she looks as the morning goes on, but my instinct is that she will not. I am also not sure about taking her to Cambridge on Thursday - it is such a long drive. We have the option of going to our normal hospital in that case, and rescheduling Cambridge. One of us has to be sensible here! The problem is that Lesley's consultant, who as you know has become a close friend, asked these things of Lesley and she agreed, not knowing that they would start so soon. And having agreed she would not back out and "let people down", as she says. I had not realised how much strength she would use, so I foolishly let her go. Now I know! This was not just listening to people but taking on all their fears and worries and pain, and giving them something better back. How she does it I don't know, but it is obviously totally exhausting and will not happen again until she is strong. I know she wants to do the work with the transplant team, but I have a feeling that it will have the same effect, until she is well. I shall talk to the consultant when we see him, probably Thursday.

Mute, I have not been kept captive, yet, but pretty busy keeping an eye on madam and her stick, as the two of them are always in some sort of trouble! And she is such fun to be with, although she is always in trouble! I am just enjoying being with her, hearing her chuckle at the latest predicament, seeing her pleasure in music, birds, the coming spring. She shares it all and I see things through her eyes, as if it is new. She is amazing - if very hard to keep safe!

I will try to keep her under control!
Ro
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Perhaps Lesley, you might write a blog to share your experience and feelings with others, for now. They can read or be read to by others who will spread your wonderful energy without directly siphoning it off your own recovery. Win win situation, I think. You help, you heal, we all breathe better. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

We have had a VERY quiet day. Lesley did not go to physio and I have postponed our appointment in Cambridge for a week. We will go to Exeter on Thursday instead, so she will still be seen and checked. No more nonsense!

She remains very tired but is OK. She has fiddled around with a whistle for a while and done a lot of sleeping, and I think she is just tired. I will be glad to see the consultant though, and put my mind at rest.

Thank you all for your kindness and for some good suggestions, which I will put to Lesley over the next few days. She will no doubt reply personally soon!

Ro
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Just letting you know that Lesley escaped the hospital's clutches at her checkup yesterday. We only went to Exeter as she was not well enough for the long journey, and I was very glad, as the snow was bad again. Her consultant was most apologetic about the "hospice drama", but apart from total exhaustion she has not come to much harm. Their idea was to keep her in hospital for a few days for a rest, but she convinced them that she rests better at home, which I think is true. So she is "resting actively" here - apparently she feels better about it if it is "active"!

There are some concerns about the pain she has. It had been agreed that she would need further surgery, but not yet, but this has been moved forward as the pain is increasing her general frailty. However, they still do not want to do it too soon as it is not long after her last operation and she is not strong.

Despite all this, Lesley is Lesley. Cheerful, funny, daft, not complaining, enjoying life to the full. Her stick has been good for the last few days, possibly because I took it to bits and put it together again when she was worried that it was creaking! Between the two of them, they keep me occupied. Luckily, I love her!

Ro
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

"Fiddling with a whistle", indeed! You'll get in trouble for confusing two instruments! :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!