ANNOUNCING (CP): The Freeman Bluebird (D and Eb) ...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: ANNOUNCING: The Freeman Bluebird (available in D and Eb) ...

Post by Jerry Freeman »

maki wrote:Is it my imagination or is the Bluebird wildly popular?
I notice The Whistle Store has been out of stock for a while now.
I'm just finishing a batch for the Whistle Shop over the weekend, so Thom will have them again in the next few days. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Chuditch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: ANNOUNCING: The Freeman Bluebird (available in D and Eb) ...

Post by Chuditch »

The bluebird is very popular because it's a fantastic whistle available at a cost well below it's value IMHO.

I recieved my Bluebird yesterday and I am still blown away by it's ease of playing, tonal qualities and character. Please consider that I recieved a Burke composite session whistle recently and had been playing this most excellent whistle right up until the Bluebird arrived. Now I can't leave the Bluebird alone! It really is a whistle unto itself, meaning that any comparison to tweaked whistle is not really valid due to it's unique qualities.

Thanks Jerry!
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: ANNOUNCING (CP): The Freeman Bluebird (D and Eb) ...

Post by PhilO »

It's definitely "wildly popular" with me!

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

This thread has to have been Jerry's most successful advertising gimmick yet. Over 5,000 reads... :boggle: and counting.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Pyper

Post by Pyper »

I LOVE!!!!! :) :) :) my D Bluebird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really also Love my C Blackbird too. :)
:party: :party: :party:
Thanks for making my life better Jerry. :)
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I just gotta say ...

You folks are a treasure. How did I get so lucky to be in this business?

With my heartfelt thanks and best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
maki

Post by maki »

Its a modest mouse that calls years of hard work and precision, 'luck'.
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

First, i know this is an old thread BUT! Today, 8/15/2016 i received my NEW Bluebird whistle in the key of D from Jerry Freeman.! My first thoughts are this.....this whistle is NOT easy to play compared to my Blackbird and my tweaked Gens either brass or nickel. However, the whistle sounds great and sounds close to my blackbird but more like a Gen whistle. The other difficult to play whistle i have that is from Jerry Freeman was purchased three years ago . It is called a Freeman GenDog in nickel w/blue Gen head. This whistle as well as the Bluebird has a lot of back-pressure! Neither of these whistles have had the putty trick done to them! I found this to be very interesting in the fact that I'm NOW used to a whistle with no back-pressure! The blackbird is a piece of cake to play for me now and this bluebird is difficult for me as of today! Very good sounding whistle and nowhere on the label does it say Bluebird! Hmmm? This is my 11th Freeman whistle.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

mickey66 wrote:First, i know this is an old thread BUT! Today, 8/15/2016 i received my NEW Bluebird whistle in the key of D from Jerry Freeman.! My first thoughts are this.....this whistle is NOT easy to play compared to my Blackbird and my tweaked Gens either brass or nickel. However, the whistle sounds great and sounds close to my blackbird but more like a Gen whistle. The other difficult to play whistle i have that is from Jerry Freeman was purchased three years ago . It is called a Freeman GenDog in nickel w/blue Gen head. This whistle as well as the Bluebird has a lot of back-pressure! Neither of these whistles have had the putty trick done to them! I found this to be very interesting in the fact that I'm NOW used to a whistle with no back-pressure! The blackbird is a piece of cake to play for me now and this bluebird is difficult for me as of today! Very good sounding whistle and nowhere on the label does it say Bluebird! Hmmm? This is my 11th Freeman whistle.

Odd. They must have changed considerably over the years since I acquired mine quite a long time ago. I can't imagine any Freeman whistle having strong backpressure, and my Bluebird is extremely easy to play, and the best of any Freeman whistle I've played in my opinion. It also has the putty.

All of his whistles are nice, but the Bluebird is the only one I really got on very well with (I've not tried the tweaked Gens, aside from the Bb, which wasn't my thing). Can't imagine one playing as you describe. Mine is a sweet whistle that takes a blow pretty similar to most other whistles of this type, though slightly less sensitive than the blackbird.

Maybe you should write to Jerry about it. Is it possible it was damaged in some way, or has something clogging it?
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

This whistle which i believe to be a bluebird and i base this on his description of his bluebird whistle sound(label says Jerry Freeman Tweaked)but does not say bluebird on label. The blackbird is night and day difference from this new whistle that i received today. Jerry Freeman if you read this thread/post please comment on this if you would, thanks, Mickey
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

mickey66 wrote:This whistle which i believe to be a bluebird and i base this on his description of his bluebird whistle sound(label says Jerry Freeman Tweaked)but does not say bluebird on label. The blackbird is night and day difference from this new whistle that i received today. Jerry Freeman if you read this thread/post please comment on this if you would, thanks, Mickey

You mentioned in your post that you received it from Jerry himself, so I would assume he had indicated what it was that you had bought. If it does not say Bluebird on it, then it might be some other tweaked whistle you have on your hands. He has an email address, and an account on here that you can PM, by the way.
mickey66

Post by mickey66 »

Ebay told me the whistle had shipped is all the correspondence i received from my ebay purchase. I was told nothing from Jerry himself! I left good feedback for a bluebird whistle. This whistle sounds similar to my blackbird but is more like a tweaked gen blue-top.....but different! You may be on to something? This may not be a bluebird ?
mickey66

Post by mickey66 »

Sirchronique wrote:
mickey66 wrote:This whistle which i believe to be a bluebird and i base this on his description of his bluebird whistle sound(label says Jerry Freeman Tweaked)but does not say bluebird on label. The blackbird is night and day difference from this new whistle that i received today. Jerry Freeman if you read this thread/post please comment on this if you would, thanks, Mickey

You mentioned in your post that you received it from Jerry himself, so I would assume he had indicated what it was that you had bought. If it does not say Bluebird on it, then it might be some other tweaked whistle you have on your hands. He has an email address, and an account on here that you can PM, by the way.
I sent Jerry an email!
mickey66

Post by mickey66 »

I received a reply from Jerry Freeman about my whistle order for his "Bluebird" whistle which, I received 8/15/2016.....

Hi, William.

Does the whistle that does not say “Bluebird” have a Generation decal? If it does not have a Generation decal, but only has a “Jerry Freeman tweaked” sticker, then I accidentally put the wrong sticker on a Bluebird. If it has a Generation decal, then it isn’t a Bluebird; it’s a tweaked nickel Generation.

Yes, these whistles have more back pressure than the Blackbirds or Mellow Dogs. That is not something I can adjust without sacrificing the preferred voicing and playability. You say there’s no “putty trick.” I’ve used different materials at different times. If you purchased a tweaked Generation or Bluebird from me in the last several months, it will have a different treatment under the windway that does not fill the cavity, but creates an “curtain” at the front that is transparent to sound but which the airstream sees as a boundary. That helps maintain the brightness of the Generation sound, while at the same time, cleaning up some of the turbulence inside the mouthpiece that is responsible for much of the trouble with these whistles in untweaked form.

I hope that makes sense.

Best wishes,
Jerry

(If you like, go ahead and post my response on C&F. I rarely go there nowadays, but I would appreciate if people can see the answer to your question.) First, sad to see Jerry Freeman rarely posts or lurks here on C&F forum! Its good he gave me an explanation so.....what i have is a miss-marked "Bluebird" whistle with a lot of Back-pressure! For anyone who wants to know the the material in the back cavity looks like little blue circles. They are difficult to see but are there!
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I got one of those too. There was way too much back pressure, far too much compared to the sweet and sensitive Blackbird. The Mellow Dog also takes much less air. I'm not playing it much because it is not pleasant for me. Others may get better mileage. But I really enjoy Jerry's Blackbird D, C , and the Mellow Dog. Still, this confuses me.