Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

What's depressing about it, Martin? Sounds like you're doing OK to me. Once it's well under your fingers it's a nice bouncy tune - and quite an easy one - one I often use to teach beginners....... (There's no possessive apostrophe 's in the title, BTW.)
You've seen my YouTube videos - tutorial for The Leitrim Fancy and the set I play with it, have you?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bothrops »

Thanks, jemtheflute!

I don't know what I find depressing exactly, I think that the feel of the tune is quite depressing or sad, although it's a great jig. :D

I had already seen your videos, and I liked it a lot the way you played the set! :wink:

Cheers,
Martin
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Sounded pretty good to me, too.
I'm feeling a bit depressed myself. I've spent the past hour playing tunes slowly, trying to get some more lilt added to them. A slow tune without lilt can be depressing.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
Darren

Post by Darren »

Jem, have you been deleting your videos on YouTube? I thought you had more than 11 by now.
space for rent
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Darren wrote:Jem, have you been deleting your videos on YouTube? I thought you had more than 11 by now.
No. I did have some problems uploading the F flute ones that led me to delete and repost them a couple of times until they uploaded correctly, but that's all. The pibgorn one is the latest. I have not deleted anything else or anything permanently. I have ideas for a couple more I'd like to do in due course, but haven't made time to do them........... Otherwise, more will probably pop out when something on here impells me to try to illustrate some point that way. (I'm open to requests if anyone thinks I can be helpful!)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

mahanpots wrote:Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes....
It's not the same in print! How about a clip of your famous dramatic recitation? I bet I'm not the only one who would get a real kick out of that. Cheers,

Rob
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Rob Sharer wrote:
mahanpots wrote:Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes....
It's not the same in print! How about a clip of your famous dramatic recitation? I bet I'm not the only one who would get a real kick out of that. Cheers, Rob
:-?

I'd noticed the new signature subscript - at least, its presence, without giving it any real attention...... now I'm intrigued!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

I've been working on slowing things down and I find my intonation is a bit off. Going for more lilt with these two reels. Let me know what you think:

Lansdowne Lasses and Come West Along the Road

And by request, here's a little Moody Blues

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

mahanpots wrote:
And by request, here's a little Moody Blues

Michael
Mighty!!!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

:-? :-? :-?

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Bothrops wrote:I'm learning this depressing tune since yesterday, and here's my first take on it (I made a mistake on the repetition of the B part, nevermind).

"Leitrim's Fancy"

http://audio.xanga.com/Bothrops/df2312341824/audio.html
Bothy,
without a lot of thought beforehand, here's my take of the 'Leitrim.'
I know you just don't get my playing, but I thought you might be able to get this one.
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/i93t44dk4c
(leitrim's fancy)
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

ImNotIrish wrote: Bothy,
without a lot of thought beforehand, here's my take of the 'Leitrim.'
I know you just don't get my playing, but I thought you might be able to get this one.
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/i93t44dk4c
(leitrim's fancy)
Hey Arbo, very nice playing there!! Thanks a lot, I know how IT SHOULD BE played, now I only have to be able to play it like that :lol:
I like the strong tone you always get out of your flute.

BTW, I didn't understand what did you want to mean with: "I know you just don't get my playing..".
Maybe I misunderstood you, but if you wanted to mean that I don't really appreciate your playing, you must be wrong, I really like it. I'd be so happy if one day I can play even half as good as you play!
Forgive me if I understood bad!

Cheers,
Martin
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

jemtheflute wrote::-? :-? :-?
My thoughts exactly!
~Tiff
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Bothrops wrote:
ImNotIrish wrote:

BTW, I didn't understand what did you want to mean with: "I know you just don't get my playing..".
Maybe I misunderstood you, but if you wanted to mean that I don't really appreciate your playing, you must be wrong, I really like it. I'd be so happy if one day I can play even half as good as you play!
Forgive me if I understood bad!

Cheers,
Martin
Not at all. It has more to do with my little quirks rhythmically, phrasing, and general understanding of 'traditional' playing. Exactly why I started that thread regarding one's personal style of playing. I think I hve my own style, but it may be because I lack any real understanding of how to play the tunes as they are meant to be played.
Arbo
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

[quote="mahanpots"]I've been working on slowing things down and I find my intonation is a bit off. Going for more lilt with these two reels. Let me know what you think:

IMHO there is not much lilt in these. I think it's worth you perusing this though. As far as I'm concerned there are some tunes that work well with this slowed up treatment and some not so well. I wouldn't think Lansdowne Lass works too well at this speed, come west could IMHO.
I think you need to look at phrasing. It seems a bit repetitive, try varying the notes, lengthen, cut, take out, add in etc. Try to see a range of ways of playing the basic idea of a phrase. Have a listen to players who play this style, play along following the idea of what they are doing.
I can hear notes in your record that are cut short when they need to be extended to start to get some lilt.

kevin
Last edited by gorjuswrex on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.