The "aged-ivory" look

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
geoff wooff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: The "aged-ivory" look

Post by geoff wooff »

[/img][/img]
Mr.Gumby wrote:The effect can indeed be very beautiful.

Notice how the maker has not over decorated this piece with fancy turnings but allowed the beautifull material to speak for itself. :)
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Elephant or mammoth?
PJ
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

PJ wrote:Elephant or mammoth?

Very Antique Elephant tusk that had been carved in the form of a crocodile!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I posted earlier 'we call it crocodile ivory' but took that down again but here you go:

My brain hurts

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Do NOT paint it green!!
PJ
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

What are ivory laws like between EU countries?

Would I have any worries travelling from Scotland to Ireland or any other EU country.

How about sending the chanter by post to Northern Ireland for reeding?

My set has elephant ivory from antique billiard balls and one marine ivory mount.
The marine ivory has no shcreger lines and is much whiter than the other mounts.

Is the paint removable from Paddys pipes? I'd imagine poster paint could be washed off?
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

I am not sure what the laws are in regard to movement of Ivory items between EU states but ,so far there does not appear to be a problem. Because one does not have to declare the contents of your baggage or that of sent parcels I assume movement is not restricted.

Mammoth tusk is not an endangered species item and should not give any border problems as it is simple enough to differentiate between the two types.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Because one does not have to declare the contents of your baggage

Careful now. Not sure about that. And they can, and will, pull you in if they think you carry illegal goods.

ImageImage
My brain hurts

PJ

Post by PJ »

My understanding is that even within the EU, the individual countries retain responsibility for enforcing CITES obligations/rules.

I also understand that recent changes in the US have prohibited inter-state sale of ivory (not just importing from outside the US but also between buyers/sellers in different US states)
PJ
BzzzzT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by BzzzzT »

I have replicated ivory before for decorative purposes in restoration.

If you desire the patterns in ivory then you better be good with a brush. Otherwise a good patina could be made from linseed based oil paint.

You want to use the pigments nickel azomethine yellow or isoindoline yellow. These can be found under the names Indian Yellow, Nickel Azo Yellow etc. To this, add Raw Umber and a little carbon based black. If the ivory has reddish tone add burnt sienna. You will want to vary the tone. Wipe on the mount and wipe off and adjust with a soft brush. If you screw up, just clean with mineral spirits. If the surface is damaged buff with automotive rubbing compound to clean the plastic surface and restore shine. You will want this to dry for two weeks or so. If you desire to seal the surface and shine, buff with paste wax. The oil must be fully dry. Wait a month to do this.

Good luck,

- Jason
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

BzzzzT

Post by BzzzzT »

I think exploring how to antique ivory and use alternatives is fantastic. Not hating on pipes with real ivory but I think it's ongoing use should be avoided even though it does look amazing.

Elephants Show Special Interest in Their Dead

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... nes_2.html

http://www.nwf.org/News-and-Magazines/N ... rning.aspx

Elephants have beautiful minds and are cognizant of themselves and others. They can even recognize the bones of their deceased, forming complex associations. Even "so called" legal purchases of ivory help provide the market movements in this trade. To me this is the ugly side of the uilleann pipes. It's all about the bling bling.

Mastercraft can hook you up with a nice alternative.

http://masecraftsupply-com.3dcartstores ... c_268.html

BTW: I like the look of ivory and I am quite happy with my synthetic ivory mounts.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

geoff wooff wrote: Mammoth tusk is not an endangered species item and should not give any border problems as it is simple enough to differentiate between the two types.
Mammoths could become a protected species – 4,000 years after extinction
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

This German-made plastic is pretty nice

This is "palm nut ivory"

Ordinary plastic imitation ivory that's been "aged"

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

On moving ivory, I wouldn't move it across a border without a lawyer on both sides signing off on it. It is also very often illegal to sell within the state unless certain conditions are met which they almost never are.

As for ageing, one GHB maker at least simply puts the turned pieces in an oven for a bit.