Choosing first low whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

I forgot one too; the Alba. I only have a soprano D and it's the one whistle I never play. Heavy air requirements, restricted tonal quality. A real shame, because it's very beautiful. IMHO, I would not go near an Alba Low D, unless I played and liked it first. I was very disappointed
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Naomi,

Hey cool, this means you'll be getting one of Bernard's Overtons. It's great that you won't have to wait.

Thanks for mentioning Phil Brown's site, I was surprised to see he's changed it quite a bit in the last year and now he's selling lots of stuff beside his CD's. For those who don't have the web address it's http://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/

KR,

Glad I could help. I hope you'll like the Overton, I know you'll find the reach comfortable. When you talk to Colin you might ask him about the anodised finishes as well. They cost a little more, but the colors are cool and the finish is very scratch resistant.

Cheers,

Loren
KelticRazor

Post by KelticRazor »

Hi Loren and all,

I know some here like the Bernard Overtons and the Colin Goldie Overtons. Which should I choose if I had my choice--one by Bernard or by Colin? Is there even a difference?

Thanks,

--KR
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

KR,

All the Overtons I currently own were made by Colin Goldie, and I've been very happy with them. I have only played one whistle made by Bernard, and since it was a soprano, that experience doesn't really apply here.

I do have reason to believe that Colin and Bernard sometimes use different hole sizes and spacing patterns, but I can't really say for certain or detail exactly what the differences are because generally when Bernard's Low D's come up for discussion here, we don't know for sure when they were made. (Colin marks his with the manufacture month and year)

We know that many of Bernard's older Low D's had a longer reach and larger holes than they do today. Perhaps someone who has recently purchased a Low D directly from Bernard could take some measurements for us? Maybe, that would set things strait.

As far as the quality is concerned, I see no reason (feedback) to think you could go wrong with either Bernard's or Colin's whistles.

When you place your order, you might want to specify whether or not you want the edges of your tone holes rounded, or not. Colin's whistles come standard with a rounded edge, while Bernard seems to prefer the non-rounded edge as a default. Purely a matter of personal preference on the player's end.

Loren
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Hey Loren,
These are the length of the stretch required for each hand (top of top hole to bottom of bottom hole). I think I've posted them before, but I'm remeasuring them right now.

Left hand holes (top 3 holes)
Overton: 8.6 cm
EZ Burke: 8.1 cm

Right hand holes (bottom 3)
Overton: 7.9 cm
EZ Burke: 8.0 cm

So from my personal experience, Overtons have a slightly longer reach (because the Burke EZ has a few smaller holes). My Burke is made in 6/2000, while me Overton was gotten at 8/2001.

However I remember telling Collin, when he asked me what characteristics I'm more geared towards in a whistle, that I'm not too troubled by reach. So that might be the cause of why I have a wider spaced tone holes whistle. This is just a guess, as Collin didn't exactly tell me that he was giving me a longer reached model - not that it bothers me.

Additionally, I mainly play in air-conditioned rooms (the pub, my room) where the air is at least 23 C. When I pick up an Overton where it has been chilled by the cold air in my room or if its left on the pub table for a while, I find that it is a beast to play (and no its not only me who thinks so). The octave definitions change and its hard to get what you want out of it.

Thats different if I warm it a while first. It gets smoother to play, louder, and sounds much better. Nowadays, I always make sure it is properly warmed up before I do anything with it.

That said, it is my opinion that Overton Low Ds are high quality, whistles that most people will never regret buying. I wouldn't think you would ever have to "upgrade" if you've got one of these.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eldarion on 2001-12-30 00:10 ]</font>