Amhran A Leabhair

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
NancyF
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by NancyF »

Well, thanks folks, but still no luck. It isn't on the Seamus Ennis I have, and the only Matt Molloy I have is the self-titled one. Sigh. It's so familliar, I know it is on something I have. I can just hear uillian pipes playing it in my head. -- N
Grannymouse

Post by Grannymouse »

Hey Nancy ~ if you have Ireland's Best Slow Airs and accompaning CD you would have heard it there. Gm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: grannymouse on 2002-02-05 23:38 ]</font>
rosenlof

Post by rosenlof »

Nancy said:

I can just hear uillian pipes playing it in my head.

Then I _really_ think you've heard the version from the Matt Molloy CD! I don't know _who_ was playing the pipes, but that's how it was performed!

Looking at Amazon.com, the title of the CD is "Heathery Breeze". There are samples on the amazon page, and I think what we're looking for is no. 7 "The Hare in the Heather". I unfortunately can't play those samples here, so I can't verify it.

but the amazon link is http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 06-8081569
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2002-02-06 09:56, rosenlof wrote:
Then I _really_ think you've heard the version from the Matt Molloy CD! I don't know _who_ was playing the pipes, but that's how it was performed!

Looking at Amazon.com, the title of the CD is "Heathery Breeze". There are samples on the amazon page, and I think what we're looking for is no. 7 "The Hare in the Heather". I unfortunately can't play those samples here, so I can't verify it.

but the amazon link is http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 06-8081569

There's no piping on Matt Molloy's recording and the song of the books isn't on it either .The Hare in the heather is a version of the reel 'The Morning Dew'
For the record: this was the Matt Molloy recording that made me decide never to buy anything by him again. I like music with a bit of taste, not with an ego placed in front of it.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Track #7 on Matt Molly's "Heathery Breeze"
is a reel called "The Hare in the Heather"
.....not even close to the slow air,
"Amhran na Leabhar" I am familiar with and
play regularly.
rosenlof

Post by rosenlof »

OK, I have to defend myself, it's kind of funny. I too am familiar with the air, and I'm the one who claimed it was #7 on Matt Molloy's Heathery Breeze...

Several months ago, I bought this CD at the local Barnes & Noble. Took it to work, and when I got to track #7 recognized the tune "The Song of the Books". I was a little surprised that this CD didn't have as much flute as I would expect from MM. Lots of other instruments, track 7 is on the pipes, other tracks have singing, fiddles, whistles, etc.

So I was posting from memory when I claimed track 7 was "The Song of the Books". And it is on my disc. But the disc that came in the shrink wrapped case is Boys of the Lough "Farewell and Remember Me' Shanachie no. 79067 not MM's Heathery Breeze Sanachie no. 79064 which is the case and liner notes I have!

Oh well.... Explains my totally wrong post here, _and_ identifies another recording of this beautiful tune!

I'm glad to know I'm not completely insane.

-mike
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Just to mess with your minds.

The "official" name of the song is generally accepted as being "Cuan Bhéil Inse", which translates as "Valentia Harbour". "Amhrán na Leabhar" is an alternative, informal title used by people familiar with the background.

It's been a while (about 35 years...) since I brushed up my IPA (International Phonetic Association) phonetic notation, but if enough people using C&F are interested in pronunciation of Irish words, perhaps we could agree to check out if it's accessible via the web and adopt it as standard for dealing with this problem.

So here goes, syllable by syllable (with implicit guidance for hyphenation for the benefit of any analists out there).

And by the way, I use Munster Irish. The stuff they speak up in Galway I find rather harsh, and Donegal Irish is beautiful (especially when spoken/sung by Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh), but it's an almost foreign language to the rest of Ireland, closer to Scots Gaelic than any other dialect of Irish.

Amh : just like "Ow!" when you hit your thumb with a hammer.

rán: rather like the name Ron, pronounced with a British rather than an American accent. But it's drawn out, as it would be pronounced by Ron's girlfriend when she's wheedling him rather than short and sharp as it would be pronounced by his wife when she's snapping at him. Perhaps someone over there can indicate which American regional accent comes closest, but it's probably closer to Brooklyn than Boston.

na: can be pronounced as if it were English, but it's more of a "centre vowel", like the "e" of "the" when that word is not stressed.

Leabh: pronounce it "lyow" to rhyme with "cow"

ar: the "a" is barely pronounced, it has just about as much vowel value as it takes to move your speech organs from the "w" to the "r".

The overall rhythm of the phrase is roughly the same as any of the onomatopoeias used to teach jig rhytym to bodhrán players (bodhránaithe if you want to be pedantic, and who doesn't?): i.e "rashers and eggs" or "coppers and brass". "Hot dogs and flowers" mightn't be standard among bodhránaithe, but it's probably even closer to the rhythm of the phrase "Amhrán na Leabhar".

Confused? Maybe this IPA thing isn't such a bad idea after all. If you're interested, come back next week for another thrilling episode in which we explore "Cuan Bhéil Inse".

And by the way, I've used the accents on my Belgian keyboard deliberately to see if they come out OK on the C&F board.

And by the by-way, maybe this Andrea Corr thing has gone on too long and Mairéad should be adopted as the new icon.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Roger O'Keeffe on 2002-04-25 05:30 ]</font>
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-04-25 05:01, Roger O'Keeffe wrote:

Confused? Maybe this IPA thing isn't such a bad idea after all. If you're interested, come back next week for another thrilling episode in which we explore "Cuan Bhéil Inse".

Can't wait! :smile:
And by the by-way, maybe this Andrea Corr thing has gone on too long and Mairéad should be adopted as the new icon.
Amen to that! I wouldn't even be surprised if she played the whistle better than Andrea does... :grin:
[/quote]
/Bloomfield
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-02-06 10:11, Peter Laban wrote:

For the record: this was the Matt Molloy recording that made me decide never to buy anything by him again. I like music with a bit of taste, not with an ego placed in front of it.
LOL! I heard it at a friend's and decided I didn't need it... I really do like the Matt Molloy/Tommy Peoples/Paul Brady CD, though.
/Bloomfield
Seanduine

Post by Seanduine »

I think Roger's efforts are the best yet. I must disagree strongly however with your assertion, Roger, that Donegal Irish is closer to Scottish Gaelic than the other Irish dialects. That's certainly not the case. In fact the last time I was with my mother-in-law who is a native Scottish Gaelic speaker from the Isle of Skye we had to choose between English or sign language to communicate! There is no way that progress could be made with Ulster Irish and Scottish Gaelic. That has been my experience with a variety of Scottish Gaelic speakers from different locations. Also, I have found that it doesn't take long for any Irish speakers who can read the language to switch between Irish dialects. Modern Irish is definitely one language distinct from its near cousin, Scottish Gaelic. They are as close as Spanish and Italian for example.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

I sit corrected, Seanduine, it's just that Donegal Irish sounds so different and the similarity to Scots Gaelic is probably only apparent to someone like me who isn't really familiar with either.

Regarding Matt Molloy, I had the same sort of problems as Peter on the basis of that awful solo record (on it he plays pipes on the whistle, the way Seán Keane plays pipes on the fiddle). But a fine flute-playing friend of mine persuaded me to try the other Molloy albums and they're in a different class altogether - tasteful, musical and not just technically brilliant. I've played them so often that I've nearly burnt holes in them, but I still rarely listen to the first one.

And by the way does anyone know if either he or Liam O'Flynn has a new album in the pipeline? I'm going cold turkey.

So what's the tag for Mairéad: "the sweet fiddle for the mature romantic"? Or would she be mortally insulted? Im sure she can even play the flugelhorn better than little Miss Corr can play the whistle, but that's not why we all love Andrea.

And I'll check out the IPA in a search engine.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

There's a fantastic version of this song by Emer Kenny, an Irish singer. It's out of print, but still available at http://www.towerrecords.com. It's not a trad CD, but that one song, in her haunting voice, in Gaelic, is worth the price of the CD. At the beginning and end of the song, there's the sound of wind, recorded by Kenny at the Hill of Tara.