Need innovative Ideas!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Shrink wrap. Then insulate.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

While we're at it ...

Does anyone know of an epoxy that bonds well to metal and plastic and has a fairly long working time, maybe 25 minutes or longer? (I'm not interested in cyanoacrylates. They're great glues, but I'm sensitive to the fumes.)

Best wishes,
Jerry
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Hey Jerry, ever heard of Gorilla Glue Best Glue/Epoxy I have ever used. :D

Davey, I have heard your whistles have thick walls, thin walls are th main reason many whistle makers don't make keyed whistles. As a Pipemaker you can make Keyed chanters. Ever thought about Keyed whistles? Just a thought but sereiously you might want to consider it I mean do you knoe how rare they are.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Gorilla Glue is great stuff, but it's not suitable for my application. It's a urethane glue, not an epoxy, and it expands as it cures, which wouldn't work for my use.

I appreciate the suggestion, though.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Davey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Keyed whistle...

Post by Davey »

Avery..

Yeah..the keyed whistle thing is "in the works" as a pet project. I'm actually thinking of making a Bflat whistle in nickel silver and blackwood and using the "Taylor" brothers keystyle...(just for kicks)

(the above is a chanter done in the Taylor stule, made by the honorable team of David Quinn and B. Koehler)
Jerry...I'm sorry...I skimmed your email pretty quick as my youngest daughter was singing "tooth time" at me and my son was exclaiming something about being a "jail man" and my Andy Irvine look-alike dog was howling because he was lonely...but the problem (that I'm primarily talking about) that flutes and other wooden instruments face with cracking is mostly a temperature issue because it involves ferrules, tuning slides and lined wooden joints. That is the greatest weakness of wooden flutes (imho) is that they are prone to this type of cataclysmic failure. The wood and brass contract and expand at different rates as temperature changes. In other words, the wood shrinks faster than the brass/ metal and crrraack! (sorry, I realize that half the C&F community just cringed!)

Keep the ideas coming...

p.s. Awww!!!! SHucks Nano, why'd ya go and spoil my fun....alright alright it was only 10 or 20 below plus the windchill factor and all..there ya happy!
As Minnesotans it is our CULTURAL HERITAGEA to brag/complain about the apocolyptic like winters! ...sniff...and this winter as been SO* wimpy..hardly ANY snow! grrr...

p.s.s. Jerry..I re-read your email and it made my head hurt! You may be on to something there...I defer to your headhurting science...Can I go back to my dowsing rod

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

A friend of mine once bought two hairless kittens from a lady in Canada, in the winter, and she shipped them all the way to Florida in an insulated crate filled with Polar fleece and with those self-heating packs stuck to the inside walls of the crate. The kitties arrived in prime condition. I think some of the packs were still warm, too.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Hi, Davey.

There may be a temperature effect where the wood expands and contracts at a different rate than the metal fittings as the temperature changes, but my understanding is that the effect due to the wood expanding and contracting with changes in moisture content is greater.

If the wood gains moisture and expands inside the metal fittings, it will crush, since the metal fittings won't be affected by the moisture at all and will stay the same size. Then, when the wood contracts again, the fittings become loose. If the wood contracts around a tuning slide, the wood will split because the tuning slide restricts the wood from contracting inward, so it has to split apart to allow the reduction in circumference.

Best wishes,
Jerry
ErikT

Re: Keyed whistle...

Post by ErikT »

Davey wrote:As Minnesotans it is our CULTURAL HERITAGEA to brag/complain about the apocolyptic like winters! ...sniff...and this winter as been SO* wimpy..hardly ANY snow! grrr...
I was going to post this in the weird weather post, but figured that it fits here. There is no such thing as weird Minnesota weather (unless it's unexplainably nice). I have on many occassions travelled from South Dakota to Minnesota and I can tell you that there is ALWAYS a huge bank of clouds on the Minnesota side of the border. It could be 40 and sunny on the SD side, but the second that you cross the border it's -25, windy and you can't see for the snow flurries. (I'm sure that Nano will dispell my ellaborately crafted myth, but it's mostly true).

Erik
Davey

heh...

Post by Davey »

It REALLY is a cultural thing... many years ago back in my "youth" I was travelling in Greece. I was in Athens on a Sunday night (BOOORING) when I overheard a conversation.

"....ack, that's nothing! Hell, we get 4 feet of snow by Christmas and it never gets above Zero...the windchill will give you frostbite in 5 minutes!"

etc..it went on from there...I intruded and asked where he was from...Yah sure, you bet he was from Mee- neh-so-dah....up nort.
Albanian

Post by Albanian »

I live in a part of Norway were the winter gives us -20 to -40 degrees, celsius, so I worry about this each time I take a guitar from my livingroom ant out into my car from october to april...... and the air is so dry that we spend 5 months scratching eachothers backs.....

Slowing down the temperaturecanges as much as possible and keeping the wood from drying out is what I think is most important.

I think the piping stuff was a great idea. Slow down the changes as much as you can, and make sure the wood is on the wet side rather than dried out.
-Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence to that fact-

George Eliot
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Yay a possible keyed whistle maker. :D
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I would go with the bubble pack idea. One extra thing though, try putting it in a ziplock bag. The sealed package of air should behave like the thermosbottle effect.

To control humidity, you need to put something with it that would allow some absorbtion. Some people use Orange peels, maybe something like that. Or those little silica gel dessicant packs? You should put a test piece of wood in a pack and test it out.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Here is a good source for the gel packs: http://www.preservesmart.com/products.h ... Desiccants

Erik