Boosey-Pratten flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

I should have said transframeation !
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

quite right, Andrew, about the brochure and output.
That's why the inquiry.
I just find it fascinating that what was deemed important at one point was actually looked down (or ignored) in the long run!
But today it's quite different again.

And an old Triumph cycle is a gem. My brother once owned one himself. I was more for the car (my first being a Spitfire...a dud, but I loved it nevertheless).
Photos, please, when you're done!
Booseyflute
antispam: No

Boosey 1-keyed Pratten's Perfected

Post by Booseyflute »

I've sent you a couple of snapshots that show the details (I can't quite figure out how to insert them in this message); anyone else who's interested can write to me for copies. The flute is marked:

Boosey & Co.
24 Holles Street
London
R.S. Pratten's Perfected

It has what I believe is the original fitted wooden case. I obtained it about 10 years ago from Tony Bingham in excellent condition. The original head-joint is fine, but the photo shows a replica head-joint Pat Olwell made for it, which substantially improves tuning, tone, power, and playability.

Dick Abrams[/img]
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

very nice, dick
so the keys are sterling and are of the "Hudson" variety.
This surely was one of the top-line flutes (for that model, of course) that they were selling. Sterling keys, pillars and such.
That configuration on the left thumb is most interesting. It appears to use the spring-rod set up! Already looking at the multi-keyed systems.

I can see why Terry said the thumb almost has nowhere to go!

Does your case have the signed certificate in the lid? If so, what's the date?
Booseyflute
antispam: No

Boosey 10-key

Post by Booseyflute »

No certificate David, and I'm not 100% sure the case is originial, although it is covered with baize inside and the cutouts fit the flute perfectly. Actually, the extra 2 keys are a real pain, so I completely remove the long B-flat and reverse the short C, which enables me to play it exactly as an 8-key model.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

i can see why you'd take them off! I did the same with an old Monzani (well...there aren't "young" ones, so...) and removed the thumb Bb key in order to use the other Bb touch instead.
Nice when you can switch things around to suit your hands.

I asked about the certificate because all Pratten models supposedly came with the "authenticity" certificate in the lid, but I don't know when the stopped. Presumably when Pratten took ill before his death, but I don't know for sure.