Jon C Pratten-Milk Chocolate

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Whoa!

That must be the Catherine Zeta-Jones of flutewoods, just jaw-droppingly gorgeous flute, there!

I have one of Casey's mopane flutes, and it is a beauty, and sounds wonderful too.
That being said, though, I still like Blackwood best :oops:

Mary
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

WOW!!! Casey, :boggle:

To bad it's not my flute, I ordered keyless. :cry:

That is definitely an incredible piece of wood!

It appears as if a "sapling" barely big enough to bear a flute, with numerous limbs trimmed off.

In response to BillG's comments, here is a G flute by Hoza in an
Extraordinary piece of Cooktown Ironwood:

This is a wood with extraordinary grain, but not the color of Mopane.
djm

Post by djm »

:lol: Interestingly, the grain and colour of my Burnes Ergonomic most closely resembles the McGee photo above.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Casey Burns wrote:I think I've been boosting Mopane for flutes longer than anyone
else around here - and its gratifying to see other makers using it
finally. I am always impressed by this wood and its beauty.

Lately I've been enjoying a few special cuts featuring some incredibly
wild grain - see the somewhat dirty scan (my scanner is somewhat
scratched from scanning fossils) below of a current flute project
for a special client that will eventually have keys and the works.

Casey

Thats wild stuff Casey!
I barely got any Mopane from Gilmers, they just sold me the stuff you didn't want... :oops:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Well, if you all don`t mind :D I`d like to get back to my new flute. I could`d get a sound out of it last night. Course it might have something to do with the fact that I smacked myself in the mouth twice yeasterday with a bit while getting the boys ready for the days work. They were feeling pretty fiesty and I was feeling pretty tiered. I was using the small sled and the big boys get a little carried away when they are pulling it and we did have some fun. Then I stopped them out in the field because the people we were hauling wanted to take a picture of themselves so I got off the sled so as to not be in the picture and the boys took off. So there I was with the reins in my hands beside the sled flat on my face being drug along some real rough and hard snow. When I got them stopped and we got back to the barn I noticed the fingers on my right hand were a bit torn up. That was after I took off a pretty substantial pair of leather gloves. So with swoolen lips and mangled fingers I am again humbly waiting to start again on my new flute.

Take care

Tom
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Are you still working with Belgians, Tom? One of my step-father's Belgian's has attitude like that but luckily the other one keeps him in check.

You should get some armoured gauntlets to protect your fingers... or just use mild opiates to keep the horses calm.

Casey, that wild grain has got to be one of those surprises that keep the fires going (excuse the metaphor). With your silver work, that is going to one exotic flute.

Cheers,
Aaron
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

It's interesting how varied mopane can look--that swirly mopane is practically psychadelic.

I wonder, when people state a wood-type preference, have they tried the same make/model in different woods? It seems to me that differences between makes and models of flutes will outweigh the differences the material imparts (which is not to say that material doesn't matter--let's not go down that well-trodden path!).
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

What drove my interest in trying Mopane came about as a search for an alternative to blackwood. I am allergic to most rosewood dusts and in summertime, have difficulty even turning blackwood - thus my need for an alternative. Also, at the time my primary supplier where I can go hand pick wood was nearly out of blackwood - at least stuff that was within reach and not buried under a mountain of other wood.

Some of my wood turner friends mentioned and showed me some Mopane and I went looking for it and tried it, and found it to be superb for the flutes I make. These days I actually prefer it equally to blackwood, tonally.

Casey
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

In the days before my enlightenment (when I was still playing the Boehm flute), I had a blackwood headjoint. Thinking back, I realise I may have been slightly allergic--there was a little redness under my lip after playing for a while.
I've now owned two mopane flutes, and I think it's a great material: sounds good, looks sharp, is very stable, and is, apparently, hypo-allergenic.
What I need to do is get a little block of blackwood to see if I do, in fact, have a blackwood sensitivity or not.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Ya Aaron, still working with Belgians. What happened yesterday was intirely my fault. I had put way to many hours in that day outside in 10 degree below zero weather. I was much more exhusted than I realized.
The boys, Tad and Charlie, are my two most favorite horses in the world and I have know them for close to 10 years. I call Tad the poet of the herd as he is the most sensitive cridder I have ever met. He weighs in at about 2400 pounds and is the best judge of charector there is. He seems to be able to sum up people instantly and I have learned to trust him when it comes to people. He is incredably gentle as is Charlie and loving but when the harness goes on they are all business. And they are movers. Most people that have driven them don`t like them because they are so intense but they don`t know them nore do they enjoy a spirited team. I was just not up to speed last night and got a little behind. Good lesson for me. Now that 60 is not that far away I need to pay a little more attention to my body and what it is trying to tell me :o
I like the glove idea though, might look into that :)

Take care

Tom
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Hockey gloves not only are highly functional, they come in many stylish colors...throw in a helmet and shoulder pads, and any passengers you may have will have the utmost confidence in your skills... :)

I feel for you Tom. I was working on my car a few weeks back in the garage one night, held a small metal flashlight between my lips for about 1.5 hours, and ended up with a sore lip and couldn't play for three days. It must really stink to have a new toy and not be able to play with it!

On the horse topic, my family and I took a carriage ride last weekend and it was pulled by two gorgeous Belgians. I love those big draft horses - their heads were each about twice as big as our little paint, and those necks are simply massive...you can tell they were bred to work.

Take care,

Eric
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Casey Burns wrote:I think I've been boosting Mopane for flutes longer than anyone
else around here - and its gratifying to see other makers using it
finally. I am always impressed by this wood and its beauty.

Lately I've been enjoying a few special cuts featuring some incredibly
wild grain - see the somewhat dirty scan (my scanner is somewhat
scratched from scanning fossils) below of a current flute project
for a special client that will eventually have keys and the works.

Casey

Wowser! That's beautiful stuff.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Just a little update on the Pratten. My lip finaly went back to its usual thickness and the fingers loosened up enough to spend more then a few hours on this flute in the last couple of days. It has been an eye opening experience. First of all this thing has shown me how lazy a flute player I have gotten. Lazy fingers, lazy lips, lazy attitude. Down right slopy. Don`t know why this has happened, though I know I play around too much with my embochure and am used to small holes and pretty easy flutes. I sure don`t structure my practice time and I jump around way to much between flutes. This thing is way more flute then I have in my herd and has set me on a hole new course. Last night I was getting the clearest third octive notes I have ever gotten on anything I`ve tried. In fact I never go there. I stumbled across the power of this flute and almost frightened myself. I was thinking last night about all the threads we have had about the pros and cons of sticking with one flute as apposed to a veriaty and though I had convinsed myself that being able to play many flutes was good I must say it does have its pitfalls.
So, thanks to Jon and this hunk of mopane I am again a newbee. Starting again to learn to make music. (least I wont have to spend 6 months trying to get a tone :) }
So look out Doc, I am putting together a box of flutes to send you. No I am not ditching them all but quite a few. Though I can see myself getting along with just two. You know maybe a Rudal and this here Pratten. Oh and the Dixon and the Garrett and a few whistle......... :boggle:
Anyway thanks Jon I am in love with this cridder

Take care

Tom
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Blackbeer wrote: So, thanks to Jon and this hunk of mopane I am again a newbee. Starting again to learn to make music. (least I wont have to spend 6 months trying to get a tone :)
Its taken me about a year to feel comfortable with Jon's Rudall. A year to just explore what this flute is capable of, let alone employ it at will.

The best is yet to come :)
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hey Tom,

Glad to hear you're back on top of things again, and loving your flute! When I first read about your bad day, I thought OUCH! That must have hurt! Not a good thing for flute players atoll.

Flutes do seem to like to be treated special, each in it's own way. Much like horses, no doubt. I think flutes are more fun to make music with though; except I've never tried it on a horse-maybe singing in the saddle is good too. A horse most likely wouldn't tolerate my singing anyway!

Hard to part with all the lovely tone makers, isn't it? But, I think you are right in your thinking, that playing one flute consistently will bring you closer to where you want to be. I'll be doing that myself soon too, I think.

Good luck with your lovely new Cochran Pratten. So, there's a third octave, huh?!!!
~~~~
Barry