French flute question - GAUTROT & Thibouville

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

le_koukou wrote:On my Gautrot the F# is in tune if I take the precaution to keep the F and the D keys open.
That's what I mean when I say the F# is flat... This fingering is not really usable for quick passages, especially if the D# key must be kept closed for the E, as is usually the case. The good thing is the cross fingered Fnat that works generally well, so you don't really need a long F key. That's a big difference with english flutes, where the F# is good and the cross fingering does not work.

I tried french flutes where it was actually impossible to play an F#. And others where it was very easy. Good ones have a very nice tone, but I still have to find one that really suits me.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

le_koukou wrote:Thanks! :)
I should link to Gary Kelly's sticky on posting images....
le_koukou
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by le_koukou »

Many thanks!

"Give a man a fish..."

8)
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

le_koukou wrote:Many thanks!

"Give a man a fish..."

8)
Thanks...

lichatt

Post by lichatt »

Hi,

I tried my 8 keys flute without keys http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=35898 (tape on the holes), and i have
the F# very flat and other notes spot on the tuner, except the low D that
is impossible to play (surely a leak somewhere). If i'm not
wrong, that match with your decription of a French flute.
Sound is powerfull, and ornaments are easy and fast.
This flute will be a very good player when repaired.
le_koukou

Post by le_koukou »

Hi Patrick,

Congratulation on the progress of your restauration project.

I beleive that the flat F# can be found in most German flutes also, at least the ones where the cross fingering for F XXX X0X is working.

I think this is an inevitable trade off. For the cross fingering F to be in tune, the flute maker must make the F# flat (French and most German flutes). If the F# is made in tune then the cross fingered F is sharp (english flutes).

The continental flutes rely on the player to open the F key to have the F# in tune.

In the traverso, the compromise is generaly different. The F# is made slightly flat and the cross fingered F slightly sharp and it is up to the player to adjust the pitch by rolling out/in the flute. This is easy on a traverso because thanks to the small embouchure and tone holes they are very flexible.

I could be wrong and maybe one of our prefered flute makers on this list will confirm or infirm this... :)