Questions about beginning the flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Questions about beginning the flute

Post by s1m0n »

Look for a used, wooden, keyless flute. The are a (comparitive*) lot on the market right now, likely partly because of the economic climate.

* Wooden flutes will never be a common or as cheap as a plastic recorder or a chinese-made factory guitar, but that's part of why I like them.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nicoharp

Post by Nicoharp »

hydromel89 wrote:Hi Nicolas,
I live not too far from Paris, where I should go later this week. I could bring a couple of flutes for you to try... just an idea.

Cheers,

Pascal.
Thank you but i'm not in Paris for the moment, i'm back the 5 january.

So i'm going to read again all the website and check the used flute on ebay or on the irish flute store. thanks for all the answers, i guess i'll give feedback in january with my new flute
hydromel89 wrote:Hi Nicolas,

Nobody mentioned M&E polymer flutes, that start around 340 euros I believe... Another suitable pick could be a Tony Dixon 3 pieces in polymer which is in the 180-200 euros price range. Don't know about the stretch though on either model.

Pascal.
I'll check the M&E Polymer,
it's a bit expensive bu it looks very nice !
celticmodes

Post by celticmodes »

Someone asked me yesterday what I thought of the Forbes vs. the Reviol cast bore that Doc just got a load of. I put up a video showing the difference from my point of view as an intermediate player. Might be helpful. Haven't played the others (McGee, Burns, Copely) enough to compare.

edit. forgot to add the link :pint:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y2pdTj0i8k
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
hydromel89
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hydromel89 »

Nicoharp

Post by Nicoharp »

celticmodes wrote:Someone asked me yesterday what I thought of the Forbes vs. the Reviol cast bore that Doc just got a load of. I put up a video showing the difference from my point of view as an intermediate player. Might be helpful. Haven't played the others (McGee, Burns, Copely) enough to compare.

edit. forgot to add the link :pint:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y2pdTj0i8k
Nice video !
hydromel89 wrote:Did you try this link ?

http://tradschool.com/en//flutes_traver ... es_17.html
yes but nothing in my budget :(
By the way i've seen on http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com that he makes flutes for small hand. It's maybe a solution and he says on this page http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com/detail_ ... ndsize.php that a small handed flute is recommended when the distance between the thumb and the fifth finger is less than 19cm (7,5 inches). Mine is about 21cm so maybe i do not have a small hand :-?
scheky

Post by scheky »

Nico,

At this point, we have discussed quite a few alternatives for you. Everybody has pointed out their favorites. Honestly, from one beginner to another, I can give you one solid piece of advice. Start with the Tipple. It's cheap (like whistle cheap). You can get the holes cut for ergonomic comfort (making the hand size a non-issue) and it's good enough to last you more than a year of learning, at which point you will be able to keep it for a backup travel flute, or sell for like 20 bucks less than new (that's about what they go for).

If you decide the flute isn't, after all, for you, it's a tiny investment.

It's the advice I'd give anybody who asked me, and I'm just starting to get the hang of all this again. The only reason I'm not playing the Tipple is that I have a Rob Forbes and already knew I wanted to continue from playing almost a year on a cheap bamboo C flute (which cost me about $65 at a fair, but is surprisingly well made). When you know you want to play for certain, then look at the next step.
Denny

Post by Denny »

schecky!!! QUIT THAT!!!

we's tryin' ta keep the makers goin' in these tough times :really:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
scheky

Post by scheky »

I can't argue with Denny on this. Never mind... :P
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

My grandmother Tipple, along with having twelve children, was fond of commenting about things she saw in the world. One of her expressions for newly advertised items that she saw in the store or heard about on the radio was, "It's cheap, and it is cheap," meaning that the item didn't cost much but that it wasn't worth much, either. I hope that the same cannot be said about my flutes. Yes, Denny, we are trying to keep all of the flutemakers in business, even the ones who make plastic (or should I say polymer to confuse the general public) flutes.
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I'm sorry for the off topic, but what about this flute case: http://tradschool.com/en//flutes_traver ... ase_9.html
Has anybody tried it? Maybe is possible to ask for a 4 parts case...
Or maybe i could open a new thread... hmmm
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Nicoharp

Post by Nicoharp »

hi,
i've ordered a Doug Tipple's flute, thanks for all the answer in my post :thumbsup:
scheky

Post by scheky »

I don't think you will ever regret that decision. When you decide you love it and upgrade, you will still have a perfect camping and travel instrument.