Hamilton Practice Flute ?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MurphyStout
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MurphyStout »

Jim,
That flute is a low D. When talking about flutes, most people don't use the word low to discribe flutes. A D flute is a low D, which is equal to a low D whistle. A soprano flute is a piccilo, which is more like a soprano whistle. I hope this makes sense to you.

Jack Murphy
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, perfect sense, thanks! I noticed
that Irish children had long
fingers...
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

I forgot to answer this question,
You were wondering how children could play the D, they can't. On his website hammy says that he also makes a practise G flute, on which the reach is much, much smaller which enables children to be able to reach the holes. Hope you've got it now.

Here's the link if anyone wants to look at it. http://homepage.tinet.ie/~hammie/practice.htm

Jack Murphy
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, I believe he says on the
website that 10 year olds can
play the D flute, the G is
for very small children!
Well, I suppose he's right.
Thanks again.

What I would really like to
know is how loud the practice
flute is. He says it gets
louder as your embouchure
improves... And I suppose
an aluminum flute would
tend to have good volume,
played well. I would use it
for busking in the cold.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Don't know if the aluminum flute will play well in the cold or not. The pitch will flatten relative to a warm instrument, and tone may suffer too, and you may be unable to keep the flute warm enough even if it starts warm. I don't play flute, but speculate embouchure could compensate for the flattening pitch,
as flute forum posters have referred to the increased
"blow-in" pitch range available to flutes as compared to whistles. Perhaps Loren or peeplj could weigh in as to whether the
Hamilton practice flute could serve as a suitable cold weather busking instrument.

Brian O.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brianormond on 2002-11-09 21:33 ]</font>
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I've never tried one unfortunately, so I can't be much help. I suspect that a polymer flute would be the only reasonable option though - I think you'd have all sorts of problems with a metal flute in the cold, but that's just a guess....Wouldn't the internal condensation on in the area of what would be the "headjoint" be a constant problem? James? Anyone?

Loren
MandoPaul

Post by MandoPaul »

On 2002-11-09 20:21, Loren wrote:
Wouldn't the internal condensation on in the area of what would be the "headjoint" be a constant problem? James? Anyone?
Personally I'd be more worried about my lips freezing to the flute. :grin:

From the picture, it looks like polymer around the embouchure area, probably to build up height?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I think it just goes to show we're
nuts for being out there.
Charles's strings on his banjo
start snapping from the cold.
Metal whistles start shrinking
for sure--plastic or polymer
then....
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

More on metal flute behavior in the cold-
Dan LeMaster, builder of Cave Winds alloy flutes says the effect on pitch will be uniform throughout the scale if the flute is well tuned, be it cold or warm. If so, solo play won't be a problem, and any accompanist may tune to you. (not much help if its a piano or squeeze box, but do-able on banjo or guitar)

See:
http://www.cavewinds.com/Design.html

Brian O.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brianormond on 2002-11-11 05:07 ]</font>
massagh

Post by massagh »

Hallo folks, this is first time around and I hope this would get through.I must confess: I've bought and tried a Hammy practise-flute, while waiting for the real thing to come along and I couldn't play it because of this habit of mine to let the flute rest on my left shoulder. You can't do that with this flute. Just had to mention this. on the other hand the real thing came along and I am very happy with it.It gives back all the time,All the Best, Mats.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

This is very interesting.
I posted a question a few
days ago about why there
aren't alloy flutes.
I was pointed to the
Hamilton practice flute.
Here's another, about 100
dollars. Any reviews?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Mats, please check your private
messages. Wanted more info about
the practice flute. Thanks, Jim
BruceW

Post by BruceW »

I've owned Hammy's practice flutes in both D and G and now own one of his wooden D keyless (awesome, BTW). The practice D is designed and made to have the head area size (diameter and thickness), shape, and responsiveness of the "real thing." The flute is closely in tune with itself over 2 octaves, but mine is a bit flat, so wouldn't do to play with others. I've recommended them to others, who also liked them. Frank Claudy had a few at East Durham last summer and was recommending them as a starter instrument with a real-world embouchure.

Bruce
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks for the very helpful review.
Flat won't do. Note the website
for cavewinds alloy flutes above,
which cost twice as much as Hammi's
practice flute (still cheap)
and may be quitegood.
Does anybody have one?
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Jim - I can't help with the Cavewinds instruments, so I thought I'd muddy the waters with another metal flute out there...

Check out http://www.serpentmusic.com. Bill who is also on this forum primarily makes high end whistles, but I noticed on his website last night that he also makes D flutes in chrome alloy and copper (I think it was copper). Check out the pictures at the bottom of his catologue page. He calls them Rennaisance, but they look just like any other simple system flute.

I've not played one of Bill's flutes, and he doesn't have a sound clip up yet, but if you messaged him he may have a clip to send (or he could always drive one down to my house HINT, HINT - I'm only 45 minutes from where he lives - I could do a review). Anyway, they look nice, and would look nice on my mantle too, but I digress...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jayhawk on 2002-11-12 07:43 ]</font>