What next after the Bill Ochs book?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
killthemessenger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: What next after the Bill Ochs book?

Post by killthemessenger »

Well it's got O'Neill's Music of Ireland on the cover. Or is this another of those things where you've got to get a hand-scribbled copy from a whistle-playing leprechaun?
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

The big yellow edition is a collection which was not published by O'Neill himself. It is a collection consisting of tunes he collected not all of which were included in the three books of music he published during his lifetime. There is a 'handier' edition which is O'Neill's 'Dance Music of Ireland' the book with 1001 tunes in it. This book was published after his first collection of 1850 tunes; many people complained that the original book, the 1850, contained too many airs, Carolan, and English ballad tunes and was slimmed down just to include dance music.

To get back on topic when learning tunes in any of the O'Neill collections bear in mind that the versions of tunes in these books are not the common settings of tunes played today. Personally my own advice on where to go next is to listen constantly and try to emulate what you hear and like.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Unseen122 wrote:The big yellow edition is a collection which was not published by O'Neill himself. It is a collection consisting of tunes he collected not all of which were included in the three books of music he published during his lifetime.
Just to add: none of the tunes is in the setting as collected by O'Neill, IIRC. Oddly enough, hardly any of them are in the settings as collected by Krassen either. To grossly simplify (that'd be me simplifying here, not Krassen :wink: ), they attempt to include in one transcription several of the variations which a modern player may have put in on several iterations of the tune when Krassen was recording them. I used to think that it was just terrible, but I'm coming round to the view that, from an academic point of view, there is some merit in it. Kassen himself apparently didn't want to call it O'Neills.

This subject comes up every now and then so, rather than de-rail anything here too much, I refer you to this old discussion where the various points of view were laid out fairly starkly - the bits on Krassen (round about page 5) are interesting, IMO, and I try to look past the horrible bits running down one tune or another, despite having played my part in that :oops: :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78476&p=989478&hili ... en#p989478

Carry on. :)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Is the Big Yellow book the Krassen then? Mine is a soothing flesh-color with brown and orange graphics. And lightly stained after an unfortunate incident with lamp oil or something a few decades ago.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
killthemessenger

Another can of worms, then. Oh well... maybe I'll just stick to Bach and Telemann!
The torture never stops.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

MTGuru wrote:Is the Big Yellow book the Krassen then? Mine is a soothing flesh-color with brown and orange graphics. And lightly stained after an unfortunate incident with lamp oil or something a few decades ago.
I suspect (you may have said so at one point) that, like me, you got yours when it was first published. Mine has faded too, and is also stuffed full of bits of paper, with scribbles of tunes on.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

killthemessenger wrote:Another can of worms, then. Oh well... maybe I'll just stick to Bach and Telemann!
Well, Bach's one thing, but there are plenty of worm cans around editions of Telemann, since, as I've just read in Quantz, there were already different editions that had been hacked about for various purposes during Telemann's lifetime. So, which one(s) has/have been used as the basis for the modern editions?
killthemessenger

Sigh... this is of course true, and you come across variants in the various editions. In fact, I believe that the only extant original printing of the flute fantasias is entitled "for the violin"!
The torture never stops.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Plaid-- if you're playing mandolin, have you discovered mandolincafe.com ? It's the Chiff and Fipple of mandolin and there are a great bunch of people there.
If you think WHOA is bad, you should see MAS (Mandolin acquisition syndrome). We have cheap whistles for $10-- in the mandolin world, cheapies are considered in roughly the $400-700 range!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

I used 'The Tutor for the Feadog Stain' - currently out of print, but some helpful soul may lend you one.

Here's a comprehensive list of where you could go:

http://www.thesession.org/discussions/display/17105
plaidpotato

Post by plaidpotato »

brewerpaul wrote: If you think WHOA is bad, you should see MAS (Mandolin acquisition syndrome). We have cheap whistles for $10-- in the mandolin world, cheapies are considered in roughly the $400-700 range!
Arrggh, I know. This unfortunate impulse is actually what led me to whistles. Right now, I can't even remotely hope to support an MAS habit. So instead, I've been substituting various other, cheaper instruments. I've already bought a ukulele (which I have tuned like a mando), several harmonicas, and about 10 whistles. Currently, I'm fighting the impulse to buy a melodica, alto recorder, flute, clarinet, and/or tenor banjo.
CelesteGB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by CelesteGB »

plaidpotato wrote:
brewerpaul wrote: If you think WHOA is bad, you should see MAS (Mandolin acquisition syndrome). We have cheap whistles for $10-- in the mandolin world, cheapies are considered in roughly the $400-700 range!
Arrggh, I know. This unfortunate impulse is actually what led me to whistles. Right now, I can't even remotely hope to support an MAS habit. So instead, I've been substituting various other, cheaper instruments. I've already bought a ukulele (which I have tuned like a mando), several harmonicas, and about 10 whistles. Currently, I'm fighting the impulse to buy a melodica, alto recorder, flute, clarinet, and/or tenor banjo.
You could always throw in an ocarina :)
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Currently, I'm fighting the impulse to buy a melodica, alto recorder, flute, clarinet, and/or tenor banjo.
... don't fight it. The stress derived from living without them is far worse than the disappointment achieved from buying a lemon ... at least then you can look forward to buying a better one :twisted:
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
nancymae
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by nancymae »

I'm fighting the obsession to get a concertina!!! But, I already have a fiddle, a good 10 whistles, a piano, a guitar, and an Native American flute! None get the time they deserve. Currently I'm in the fiddle-faddle and also the whistle. Friends are coming to visit in September and they like to JAM!!

Music is a wonderful thing!!

Nancy