Top Ten "Living" Whistlers... who are they? 8/2012

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mr Ed
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Top Ten "Living" Whistlers... who are they? 8/2012

Post by Mr Ed »

I can't listen to Mary Bergin without my feet wanting to move. Love her rhythm and phrasing.

Joanie Madden's style is great too. Can't describe what it is about her playing that makes me like it so much.

Brian Finnegan does some cool jazzy stuff. Irish fusion maybe?

Paddy Moloney is the king of twiddly bits! I don't know, there's something about how he uses ornamentation that is very rhythmic. Probably didn't describe that well either.

Andrea Corr....
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Here are another two very different takes on both whistling itself and on the same tune. Each great in their own right. The first wild and inventive, the second very musical and sweet.

Morning Dew

Morning Duet

ImageImage
@ Mr G, the four tunes are nice, while the second two are what I like for comparative reasons. Often I'll choose not to listen nor attempt to play a tune (for whatever reason), but, a varation may change that. Thank you.

@ Brus, well now I have to look into Larry Nugent and thank you and Nano for that name. Yes, Julie Fowlis, I had heard her singing before I heard her whistling, sweet either way. Thanks for confirming Julie and you must be Brave too.

@ Mr Ed, yes, Mary Bergin and Joanie Madden are easy names to include. There was mention here on the forum not too long ago about Mary Bergin coming out with a tutoral in May 2012? Its August 2012 anyone heard anything about the tutorial?

Keep'em coming :)
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

ytliek wrote: @ Mr Ed, yes, Mary Bergin and Joanie Madden are easy names to include. There was mention here on the forum not too long ago about Mary Bergin coming out with a tutoral in May 2012? Its August 2012 anyone heard anything about the tutorial?

Keep'em coming :)
My knowledge of whistling, and players, is limited so they'll all be easy from me.

Searched....and searched and couldn't find the Mary Bergin Tutorial.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

...and Cathall McConnell, Micho Russell (alas, also gone)

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Here
It's mentioned, but I can't find a picture of it or any trusted place that has it in stock.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

ytliek wrote:Now Julie Fowlis, I can agree with her onboard, you must've been Brave to mention her.
I'm pleased to say that I knew of her as a whistler well before that frolic came out. I didn't even know she was in it until you brought it up.

Haven't seen it yet, myself. I suppose I should...a Scottish friend did, and on reporting back said that it was "an utter mindless farce". I think in this case that meant that he actually kinda liked it.

L. Nugent is more known for his flute playing, I suppose, but I've seen him do acrobatically mad things with a whistle, so for that and the fact that he sounds good, he gets the vote I gave him.
Mr Ed wrote:
Mr.Gumby wrote:Here
It's mentioned, but I can't find a picture of it or any trusted place that has it in stock.
It says you're supposed to email her at the address posted for more info.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

Nanohedron wrote:
It says you're supposed to email her at the address posted for more info.
Male-vision is flaring up. Can't see anything that's right in front of me today.

DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

I would like to mention Sean Ryan a fine whistle player and very much alive! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_FucZf9o1E
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

ah yes, more fruit on the table...

@ Mr Ed, well that makes two of us, just curious who'd you pick :)

@ Mr G, thanks for the link and I'll have to email M. Bergin about the tutorial :)

@ PhilO, thank you for those two names (I'll add it to another list) :thumbsup:

@ Nano, you did mention her earlier, thanks again... and everyone does need a frolic now an then. And L. Nugent, "do acrobatically mad things with a whistle", well I hope its in the ITM tradition 'cause thats what I'm primarily interested in. Two say so, so I'll research the Nug. Now my imagination is running wild. oh my... :shock:

@ DaveAuty, thanks for Sean Ryan's name, and I did look at the YouTube, and yes, I'll have to research further. These names have all been wonderful as I am looking for some of the harder to find names, in addition to the easy, most popular names. I do like the unique, maybe one-of-a-kind whistlers, those often imitated, but, never duplicated. :)

cheers, :thumbsup:
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

How about Peter Purvis of Gaelic Storm? A super piper (Great Highland and Uillean)and an incredible whistler as well.

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Cayden wrote:How about Peter Purvis of Gaelic Storm? A super piper (Great Highland and Uillean)and an incredible whistler as well.

Cayden
I haven't heard of Peter Purvis specifically, until your other thread (FippleFest) mentioning him, but, I have heard of Gaelic Storm both positive and negative, ...more negative. Is he ITM? I don't know so I'll have to get around to taking a looksee, but, thanks :)
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Ytliek,
Gaelic Storm does a variety of music including some ITM. The Storm front man Patrick Murphy is a very funny lad and always entertaining. Peter is from Canada and I think upon hearing him play, you would agree that he is a highly accomplished player. The purcussionist plays a very eclectic drum kit and lays down a great beat. They always had a seperate bodhran player, Twiigger on guitar, and they did have a great fiddle player in Elerie Kline but she left a while ago and has been replaced. Their have been some personnel changes over the years. Gaelic Storm was the band playing in the bowels of the Titanic in the movie.

I have seen them live several times, the first time was at the Newport Irish Fest and they tore the place up (made me buy some of their CD's and want to see them play again). If you have the chance, check them out. Are you from Connecticut? Just wondering as I saw your reference to the P.V. O'Donnell Branch of Comhaltas. P.V was an incredible fiddle player and his Donnegal roots were evident in his music.

Cheers,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I have to agree with Brus that both Julie and Muireann are both very skillful whistle players, and when they sing in Gaelic, they are both gifts to the tradition of Celtic music. I could listen to them both continually and derive great joy from their songs.

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff