International Culture Check

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: International Culture Check

Post by Nanohedron »

ytliek wrote:jeez Nano, I didn't think to drive off the pavement onto property to do it, that's where I draw the line though, the shoulder :o
IB gave me the idea. I mean really, the idea's an unthinkable waste of time just from a results standpoint. Enough liquor might inspire one to do it on a lark, but anyone ought to take it as a given from the start that it would be bound to fail; deer would see you coming a mile off and scatter before you could say "Bambi". But maybe the deer aren't as alert and agile in the UK.

If anything, it would fall under harrassing wildlife or something. Not to mention trespassing, most likely. No, if you poach wildlife in earnest here, you trap or use projectiles. And of course, you shouldn't do that.

There is, however, an exception that just ocurred to me: We all have heard the phrase "frozen like deer in the headlights". If you don't stop, honk, and give the mesmerised deer a chance, then technically you'd be poaching. Having the DNR prove it is another matter. And of course, you shouldn't do that, either.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

In West Virginia, spot lighting is a crime, not so in Pennsylvania.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

mutepointe wrote:In West Virginia, spot lighting is a crime, not so in Pennsylvania.
You might want to clarify that about Pennsylvania. As I understand it, recreational spotlighting between sunrise and 11pm is permitted provided it is not hunting season and that you do not have any arms capable of killing deer with you or in your vehicle. Handguns are apparently ok outside of deer season provided the spotter has a right to carry permit. Basically, we were brought up to think of spotlighting as a "no no" in general.

The problem locally is unintentional spotlighting with your headlights going 40-50 mph. Kerbang! Herd management is a big issue in these parts.

Mute, I like the turkey pic. We have roving gangs of the fowl in this area like in your picture. Some wear blue bandannas and some wear red bandannas. They can get real nasty as Fall approaches.
Innocent Bystander wrote:You could write a song about it! Oh, wait...
Loudon is a songwriting genius. That's one of those songs we all wish we had written.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

ytliek wrote:jeez Nano, I didn't think to drive off the pavement onto property to do it, that's where I draw the line though, the shoulder :o
That's nothing from the DNR site
Motor vehicle killed wildlife
Officers are encouraged to give salvageable game and fish to charitable organizations.

You have to do some major off off-roading to nail a sturgeon with your car.

Poaching is one of those things that can include possession. A lot of deer are hit around hunting season, so if you have a bunch of fresh meat, it is best to have documentation. It use to be if you hit a dear, you called the authorities, had it recorded, and then it was yours. In Minnesota, we have the added benefit that often when a deer is hit, the weather helps to refrigerate the body.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I.D.10-t wrote:It use to be if you hit a dear, you called the authorities ...
... and then they arrested you for domestic abuse.

Sorry, sorry, I couldn't resist.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Denny

Post by Denny »

yeah, when they beg...
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Feadoggie wrote:
mutepointe wrote:In West Virginia, spot lighting is a crime, not so in Pennsylvania.
You might want to clarify that about Pennsylvania. As I understand it, recreational spotlighting between sunrise and 11pm is permitted provided it is not hunting season and that you do not have any arms capable of killing deer with you or in your vehicle. Handguns are apparently ok outside of deer season provided the spotter has a right to carry permit. Basically, we were brought up to think of spotlighting as a "no no" in general.
Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense too, the guys at deer camp only went spot lighting the day before hunting season. I have no clue as to the rules of hunting. I've only shot a rifle once and a pistol three times and only because my best friend was mortified and made me.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I'm still working on CT law roadkill, got my legal team on it. But, wanted to add to the roadkill issue in general. Here in CT we have these two flocking critters as well http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Turkey_Vulture/id and http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/a ... k-vulture/ and they always show these birds sitting quietly (digesting) along the roadway. They love the highway system soaring along patrolling for a snack. They'll even drag the deer off the road to eat. They get in groups and devour carcass rather quickly, I mean gobble like only a gobbler can do. I think CT Labor lays off DOT people for lack of work because of these scavenging feathered beasts. Roads are loaded with carcasses, but, not for long, by the time you report it, birds have had at it.

if its not one critter, its another, here today: http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp ... _type=news

I'm not sure I can go for a hike anywhere anymore
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:
That's nothing from the DNR site
Motor vehicle killed wildlife
Yes, that's the site I posted my previous info from.
I.D.10-t wrote:
Officers are encouraged to give salvageable game and fish to charitable organizations.

You have to do some major off off-roading to nail a sturgeon with your car.
That's the main thing I found off-putting about the info in the above link: it's really kind of disorganised and is almost more philosophical than clear-cut.
Feadoggie wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:You could write a song about it! Oh, wait...
Loudon is a songwriting genius. That's one of those songs we all wish we had written.
Not any more. I used to love it to bits, but recently I heard it again, and I found it so aggravating that it made me want to take Wainwright by the throat and make him sound like a squeak toy.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Nanohedron wrote:Not any more. I used to love it to bits, but recently I heard it again, and I found it so aggravating that it made me want to take Wainwright by the throat and make him sound like a squeak toy.
There it is then!

Don't you wish you could write something that would bring out such strong emotions in people? What an ear-worm!
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Feadoggie wrote:Don't you wish you could write something that would bring out such strong emotions in people?
Not that kind. I don't want to be menaced. I want to be loved. Not even that: I want to be lionised for my music, fêted, celebrated, pointed to as an example for all youth to aspire to, and hoisted on a cloth-of-gold strewn palanquin and paraded about basking upon grand cushions while my adoring public feed me grapes and shower me with blossoms as they make cries of joy and bring me to the next party. I'll pencil you in.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:In West Virginia, spot lighting is a crime...
Where I live we call it "shining". Also deer-illegal here even if you're doing it just to do it and not actually hunting, IIRC.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

ytliek wrote:I'm still working on CT law roadkill, got my legal team on it.
Yes, in CT you report the deer roadkill, then you have first dibs on its a$$, or donate it.
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Ytliek,

Connecticut law regarding deer killed by motor vehicles allows said deer to be reduced to the possession of the operator / owner of the vehicle that struck said deer, or to a third party, provided that a deer kill incident report is issued to the person who will posses said deer, as issued by a State Conservation Enforcement Officer, State Trooper, or Municipal Police Officer. Any deer reduced to possession and transported from the scene of the deer vs. motor vehicle without a DKIR (deer kill incident report) having been issued is considered as illegal possession and transport of whitetail deer.

With regard to other wildlife for which there are regulated hunting or trapping seasons, a person who strikes said animal with their vehicle that has a license to hunt or trap, may take and possess wildlife that is killed by a motor vehicle during said regulated open season for that specie. This allowance would also apply to a third party so licensed. Any wildlife so taken into possession requiring tagging, such as fur bearers inclusive of red and grey fox, beaver, river otter, fisher cat, mink, and coyote would need to be tagged by the DEEP wildlife biologists or Conservation Enforcement Officer to be legally possesed.

Other wildlife for which their are no regulated open seasons for taking by hunting or trapping, such as but not limited to black bear, moose, bobcats, songbirds, birds of prey, etc., may not be possessed, but may be awarded by the State, to educational institutions for the purposes of scientific collection and research.

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Cayden, thanks for the clarification. I do not intend to hunt nor trap any animal, other than with a camera, by means of auto, ATV, or otherwise. That may not be the case for others in those other states. :)