Unexpected free whistle!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
megapop
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Unexpected free whistle!

Post by megapop »

MTGuru wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I had one of those harmonica thingies. Surprisingly workable.
Yes, it's the Hohner Little Lady. And it's very playable within its 1 octave range. I keep one in my pocket as a very handy pitch pipe. And to annoy people.
While we're at it, I like the Hohner Puck. That's a little nice harmonica that fits well in the 5th pocket of your jeans and has the 2 8ves range of a usual Richter tuned harmonica. :)
return null;
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
MTGuru wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I wonder where it's gone. :-?
Have you had an X-ray lately?
I thought I'd been feeling a bit off-key ...
Groan.
Tor wrote:My Generation F has a pure, beautiful tone and plays like butter. Very different from my Generation G, which is just one tone higher and equally smaller, but it's shrill compared to the F (and anyway too small for me to play, unlike the F).
Others have said the same thing comparing the F & G. OTOH I've heard that not all Gen high Fs share the same qualities and getting a sweet one is something of a crapshoot, but if that's so, then I lucked out right away, because mine is a gem too.

Mine always wants me to play hornpipes on it. It's like hearing the fairy-music itself. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:OTOH I've heard that not all Gen high Fs share the same qualities and getting a sweet one is something of a crapshoot, but if that's so, then I lucked out right away, because mine is a gem too.
Sorry to interrupt normal service, but just checking ...

Here in the UK, "lucked out" means ran out of luck, ie got a crap one. It seems that, when you use the expression, it means the opposite, right? A bit like when you say "I could care less" which, to us, means "I really care about that" but, to you, seems to mean "I couldn't care less".

God, you guys are confusing. :-?
nimbles

Post by nimbles »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:OTOH I've heard that not all Gen high Fs share the same qualities and getting a sweet one is something of a crapshoot, but if that's so, then I lucked out right away, because mine is a gem too.

Here in the UK, "lucked out" means ran out of luck, ie got a crap one. It seems that, when you use the expression, it means the opposite, right? A bit like when you say "I could care less" which, to us, means "I really care about that" but, to you, seems to mean "I couldn't care less".

I understand lucked out to mean got lucky. Maybe my diet of crappy American TV has stunted my tiny mind.

---

I wish I could tell when a generation is a nice one or not. The mouthpiece is supposed to be glued isn't it? If so the previous owner of this one has kindly melted the glue off for me because it's tuneable.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:

No, I always say "couldn't care less". The other is rampant, and bugs the heck out of me. But yes, in the States "lucked out" typically means luck was on your side. We sometimes colloquially add "out" to certain words to convey a state or action, but there are no hard-and-fast rules. For example, "dined out" still means exactly what it always has: you went out to eat.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

nimbles wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:

I understand lucked out to mean got lucky. Maybe my diet of crappy American TV has stunted my tiny mind.
No, it's probably me. I get so confused by all these things that are the opposite to what I'm used to. If it was a subtle difference, I'd be OK. :(
nimbles wrote:I wish I could tell when a generation is a nice one or not. The mouthpiece is supposed to be glued isn't it? If so the previous owner of this one has kindly melted the glue off for me because it's tuneable.
You lucked out. :wink: I always make mine tuneable as soon as I get them.

[cross-post]
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:For example, "dined out" still means exactly what it always has: you went out to eat.
... as opposed to going through to eat. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:For example, "dined out" still means exactly what it always has: you went out to eat.
... as opposed to going through to eat. :D
Zackly. Going out of one room into another is not the same thing.

BTW, the formation "lucked out" also carries the idea that one's luck was definitely against odds, that you got away with something; "was lucky" doesn't carry the same nuance. One can get creative with the "out" thing; for example, if your babe is rocking a particularly babe-alicious getup, you could say, "You are so totally babed out." However, in this instance there is no firm subtext that she accomplished this against all odds. If that IS what you mean, you should never, EVER say so unless you have no care of your nads. But it does mean you are witnessing something extra-special either way.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Babe? "Your babe"? Wha? I'm sorry. I'm not sure I know what my "babe" is. My three sons are all grown up now ... :-?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Babe? "Your babe"? Wha? I'm sorry. I'm not sure I know what my "babe" is. My three sons are all grown up now ... :-?
Your woman, buckwheat.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Ah, my woman. So, I can say "You're all womaned out" then, yes?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Ah, my woman. So, I can say "You're all womaned out" then, yes?
Actually, this is a great example of there being no consistent rule to it; sometimes it means a surfeit of something, and this is definitely one of those cases. One is womaned out when you've had quite enough of them. You know, like when a guy needs a break and wants to hole up in his man-cave for a while. Or a woman is home from a henner and now wants the company of the opposite gender.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

A "henner"?

[Good grief! Will this never end? :-? :( ]
nimbles

Post by nimbles »

Henner sounds Australian to me. I would've thought Americans would've said "bachelorette".
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

nimbles wrote:Henner sounds Australian to me. I would've thought Americans would've said "bachelorette".
Now, to me, that just sounds like a student flat for women.