A moment of silence for great flame wars past

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Re: A moment of silence for great flame wars past

Post by emmline »

Would it help if I confess to secretly owning THE Davy Spillane whistle?
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Well, a good flamer could begin with the new cowboy slipjig from Garth Brooks in Dublin as they won't be Dancing in the Streets and getting jiggy with it. Or will they? :shock:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

ytliek wrote:Well, a good flamer could begin with the new cowboy slipjig from Garth Brooks in Dublin as they won't be Dancing in the Streets and getting jiggy with it. Or will they? :shock:
At this point I honestly have no way of knowing if by "flamer" you mean cyber-bully, or fabulous. Not that one can't be both, of course.

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

ytliek wrote:Well, a good flamer could begin with the new cowboy slipjig from Garth Brooks in Dublin as they won't be Dancing in the Streets and getting jiggy with it. Or will they?
That's not gonna get it. American Country music is among the most heard/played music types in some parts of rural Ireland. At least that would seem to be the case by my limited experience going back to visit family. I'm thinking of taking my dobro over, instead of the whistles and flute, on my next trip. Might be easier to scare up a session then. Nothin' to flame about here AFAIK.

Yeah, the concert cancellations caused a bit of a blow up. But hey, football/soccer was involved. Now that can be sacred ground. No pun intended.

By the way ... Generation whistles are sooooo out if tune and sound like nails scratching on a blackboard. :D

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Waiddaminnit. Did Garth Brooks actually record a slip jig?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

Feadoggie wrote:By the way ... Generation whistles are sooooo out of tune and sound like nails scratching on a blackboard. :D
That's not going to start a flame war; everyone KNOWS that's true. Besides, who's playing Gens anymore? Recorder is the one with all the notes. :wink:
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

I didn't even know what a flamer was, nor shouting, or any of that forum/internet speak. I had a sheltered life. I learned a lot reading the C&F archives as well. No bully here. Not fabulous. Perhaps hot.

Garth may have slipped the gig. Written a slip jig? Where else better to write one:
http://www.thedronenews.org/#!GARTH-BRO ... 9D238E8637
Feadoggie wrote:American Country music is among the most heard/played music types in some parts of rural Ireland. At least that would seem to be the case by my limited experience going back to visit family.
I know AC is definitely enjoyed by some Irish. Last March I had the pleasure of meeting and listening to The Friel Sisters locally. While talking they had mentioned how much they loved AC and especially Dolly Parton.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

ytliek wrote:I didn't even know what a flamer was, nor shouting, or any of that forum/internet speak. I had a sheltered life.
Well, we're here to put an end to that. You'll thank us. Or not.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I always went to that part of the forum expecting that someone would disagree. It always surprised me that people would hold onto ideas like a dogma and not rethink their position. I miss the disagreements because there were opportunities to find out where I was wrong and at times where I had correct thoughts. Overall I think I got more out of it than most.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote: Image
Wow. That's half Frank'N'Furter & half Frankenstein. Or rather his monster.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

emmline wrote:Would it help if I confess to secretly owning THE Davy Spillane whistle?
Bravo!
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

emmline wrote:Would it help if I confess to secretly owning THE Davy Spillane whistle?
Ha! If only there were a celebrity-endorsed whistle like that to distract the army of beginners from the master makers that it's now largely impossible to get a decent instrument from.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

MTGuru wrote:...and then comes after the brains of the audience.
Won't he be disappointed!

C.S. Lewis
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:
Ha! If only there were a celebrity-endorsed whistle like that to distract the army of beginners from the master makers that it's now largely impossible to get a decent instrument from.
Oh I don't know - my local music store has plenty of Generations. :D
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

benhall.1 wrote: Oh I don't know - my local music store has plenty of Generations.
But not as many as in the begats.

I have a sudden desire to quote WB Yeats: "...those dying generations at their song..."

C.S. Lewis