O'Flynn's Rowsome chanter?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: O'Flynn's Rowsome chanter?

Post by rorybbellows »

tompipes wrote: (The one in the video looks a lot like Sean Seerys set to me).
I'd like to point out to the jury that Sean Seery's set has a metal stock ,where the one in the Clancy vid has a wooden one.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
JR

Post by JR »

In the pre-song banter in My Heart is Tonight in Ireland Liam mentions Willie played 'this particular set of pipes here, actually'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SjCzQwGsy0
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The history of the Reid set is pretty well documented. That Paddy Donoghue played it, when Clancy had it etc. The Seán Seery set has two drone soundboxes, which sets it apart from most other Leo Rowsome sets (I can only think of Leon Rowsome's as having the same feature) while the Reid set is probably the only one with a Harrington type knob at the end of the bass reg.
My brain hurts

Fergmaun

Post by Fergmaun »

The Leo Rowsome D full set that Liam O'Flynn plays was once belonged to Willie Clancy and before that Sean Reid.

Liam uses Andreas Rogge bellows, bag/cover, new brass cup on bag but also has wooden chanter top also not using. He may had full set overhaled as well when the C# Coyne Ennis set was in for overhale with Andreas in around 1996.

Liam at gigs/concerts in Belfast NI has quote a few times to say

"The pipes I am playing is a Leo Rowsome set and Willie Clancy played them and past them to me before that played by Sean Reid."

Cheers

Fergus
Last edited by Fergmaun on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The set only ever 'belonged' to Seán Reid. Everybody else had it on loan from him.
My brain hurts

Fergmaun

Post by Fergmaun »

Willie Clancy being left handed like myself had the Leo Rowsome right-handed full set plugged in a left-handed bag.

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
misterpatrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by misterpatrick »

Just as an aside, does anyone know the history of Froment's iris bit? I have a Froment D chanter (from around 2001 or so) and it has a standard ferrule. Still playing the original reed and the chanter is in tune with itself.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

misterpatrick wrote:Just as an aside, does anyone know the history of Froment's iris bit? I have a Froment D chanter (from around 2001 or so) and it has a standard ferrule. Still playing the original reed and the chanter is in tune with itself.
Howards iris bottom of page http://www.howardmusic.co.uk/shop/uille ... anters.htm

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Alain Froment never made an iris ferrule AFAIK. He made ferrules with washer soldered to the bottom, thus making opening narrower than the end of the chanter bore, in order to help the bottom D. He told me that his chanters are incapable of playing hard bottom D without this ferrule. However, I got a standard ferrule as well (as I requested for it) and I'm using it exclusively, and the chanter does play a fantastic hard bottom D.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

MichaelLoos wrote:Alain Froment never made an iris ferrule AFAIK. He told me that his chanters are incapable of playing hard bottom D without this ferrule. However, I got a standard ferrule as well (as I requested for it) and I'm using it exclusively, and the chanter does play a fantastic hard bottom D.
Just goes to show that even he, the God of pipemakers, the one destined to grow from the primordial soup to further enhance our existence as pipers, the one to forge keys from the metal born in the stars, the one who, well you get the idea and so on and so on , could be wrong.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
m4malious

Post by m4malious »

For anyone interested in a nice picture of Clancy.....or.....anyone still
not convinced about the originality of the short chanter ferrule on this set ;-)
https://img.rasset.ie/000acf26-642.jpg

M