Devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
KNQuail
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Devondancer update

Post by KNQuail »

HDSarah wrote:Sarah Rua (I've been told "rua" means red-haired in Irish Gaelic, though I have to accept that on faith as I don't know the language.)
Well, I don't speak Irish Gaelic but I recently (as in 2 days ago) embarked on learning Scottish Gaelic (on a whim, as with so many things I do...) and apparently ruadh means red-haired in Scottish Gaelic so I'd guess you're probably right. But maybe not. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Cork
antispam: No

Post by Cork »

devondancer wrote:...I am doing really well now. The shoulder surgery has apparently been a success, although I can't tell yet as I am immobilised!...
That's great news, and you now stand a much better chance at the recovery of your arm and fingers, no doubt!

You are brave to have gone through with it.

:-)
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

Hello.
No one is telling me what to do, or not to do, for a few moments, so I am visiting my friends!
I am fine now, just hungry still! I will admit to getting a little crotchety when hungry, so I hope I am allowed to eat today! However, in all other respects I totally agree with HDSarah: I am cross because I am cross, not because I have red hair!
My arm is still strapped up like a trussed chicken but I tracked down a whistle in my locker last night and have been playing quietly, as suggested by avanutria. Very clever, that. I think I now know which is my left hand and which my right, although it has taken a while. Like IB, I always know where north is, which is more useful anyway!
I love those photos, Steve. That is one of our favourite places and it was great to find it here this morning. Thank you. Now I want to be there!
I hope to get up today and do a bit of physio again, to catch up lost ground. I was doing well and am annoyed with myself!
A BREAKFAST TRAY approaches! :thumbsup:
Goodbye!
Lesley
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

KNQuail wrote:
HDSarah wrote:Sarah Rua (I've been told "rua" means red-haired in Irish Gaelic, though I have to accept that on faith as I don't know the language.)
Well, I don't speak Irish Gaelic but I recently (as in 2 days ago) embarked on learning Scottish Gaelic (on a whim, as with so many things I do...) and apparently ruadh means red-haired in Scottish Gaelic so I'd guess you're probably right. But maybe not. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I get hopelessly confused between Gaelic (Scots) and Irish. The "dh" fades into insignificance in some accents, and it gets spelled "rua". I'd say yes, it means red-haired. Redwolf will surely have the answer. I have red hair in my beard... does that make me a redhead? Anyway, it's PASSION, not short-temper. Being cross because you're hungry seems perfectly reasonable. Grub first, then ethics, like the man said...
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Hope you have another good day today Lesley.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
tansy

Post by tansy »

I too have red hair Lesley, glad you know North :)
Tansy
shy the blond water
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

It's the silences that are the worst.
白飞梦
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

My apologies for the silence, and all is well. I have been with Lesley most of the day and just come home. She has been allowed to eat a little more normally today, although still not what she would consider a decent meal! At least she is no longer looking hungrily at me and passing nurses. Her arm is still strapped and immobile and she has not yet been released from all her tubes and monitors. She gave us all quite a scare and is being very carefully watched, although I know she hopes to be undone from a few things tomorrow - if she is good tonight! She has restarted very gentle physio both on her arm and on the rest of her and has survived it, although she is tired tonight.
The trouble is her continued frailty. Any setback is a really big deal and it takes her a while to come back up, although mentally she is fighting back all the time. We both knew the risks associated with this surgery and accepted them, as the pain she was in was too great for her to live with, and Lesley is used to living with pain. She does not complain. Her heart is slightly damaged from the immediate post-op problems, but suffered no further damage in her last collapse. As long as she continues to improve there should be no real problems. She is just fragile. I know it, she knows it. She is also incredibly determined and still has her amazing conviction that she will not die yet. I am very happy to believe it.
She is cheerful, except when hungry, playing her whistle silently when she can, listening to music, enjoying her visits from me. I hope to take her outside tomorrow as she is desperate for fresh air. We will see how she is, but she will do her best, I know.
This is a tough time. I look at her and cannot understand her conviction. She is so vulnerable, so frail, and yet she is absolutely, totally convinced, and convincing. She has almost convinced me, too.
She enjoys reading all your comments and being able to stay in touch with her friends, so I leave her the laptop at night now - her room is wifi enabled, which is great. I have a PC at home so there is no problem there. I know she is often up late listening to music when she can't sleep or is uncomfortable and I am glad she can do that.
I probably sound pessimistic, but I am not really. I am so nearly convinced by her and at times I am completely so. She really does "know," somehow, as she did when she was so ill in Cambridge. It is just hard at times to trust her and believe her, because I so desperately want to, I suppose.
Please keep in touch with her and keep cheering her up. I know she gets fed up with herself, with being dependent, being in pain, being indoors. She is very good about it all but it does get her down at times, so keep the jokes coming. We are both always glad of those.
Thank you all for our friendship and your kindness.
Roland
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Ro, you are exhausted. You need to eat, and sleep.

Lesley is doing what she needs to do to get better---and I'm glad to hear that, in spite of the setbacks, she is still improving.

Her optimism, I think, is accurate....you're just too tired to see it. Rest now, to help her better when she comes home.

My lady and I send our love to you both, and our warmest thoughts of healing and warmth and friendship, and know that I am and remain,

Your friends,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Hey Lesley: Have you considered messing with the minds of the hospital staff? Are you looking for ideas? One idea off the top of my head is to pretend your playing your whistle while playing a recording on your laptop.
白飞梦
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Glad to hear that you are both hanging in there. My heart is with you both. May this surgery be the turn of the path to real recovery and arrival at a level of function that Lesley can feel good about. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Thanks, everyone. I am OK really. It is just so hard to reconcile Lesley's appearance and her optimism. I really do trust her and believe her, although it has taken me a long time and a lot of fighting to reach this point. It is also hard to explain, but I didn't want to leave you all in the dark either. She actually does "know," you see. And through her, I almost do too. But she looks so appalling that my heart sinks when I see her, although she is cheerful and upbeat, finding the fun in everything. If she could just "look" better, it would be so much easier! But I do believe her, and in her, and she will probably read this, so Lesley - I believe you. I trust you. I love you.
Ro
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

devondancer wrote:If she could just "look" better, it would be so much easier!
That's exactly what my missus says about me. :(
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

devondancer wrote:If she could just "look" better, it would be so much easier!
Seeing your partner look really ill is a mighty scary thing. I know it well. Just keep the faith. :thumbsup:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Get a little lipstick Lesley.

I think there should be a way for married couples to really become one person. I know some married people would take advantage of the situation or use this for evil rather than good but I don't really care about those couples right now. I know there are times when my wife and I, and I think this is a time that Lesley and Ro, would like to crawl into each other's skin, so that the other person could really know what was going on and maybe help out the other person heal. So glad you're getting better Lesley. You hadn't mention pain much. Is it gone or going?
白飞梦