Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gorjuswrex »

William
Re your you tube vids.
That's a setting of music in the Glen I haven't heard before AFAIK. Where or who does it come from. It's around the 3rd and 4th bar of the 1st part I think. You propbably know where I mean.
I like your well executed ornaments. Your playing of it seems to have quite a 'smooth' flowing kind of style to it.

Kevin
joshD

Post by joshD »

OK,
I posted last week the Kerry Reel( AKA The Green Fields Of Rossbeigh) on YouTube. It's a common tune but it's goodie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojdr0lhBKMg

I made sure to put on my Duke shirt :D
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Josh, it looks like you put on your Duke shirt backwards. Or did you grab your ekuD shirt by mistake?
monkey587
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

Thanks for the comments everyone, sorry for the late reply; I'd been at the irish language immersion weekend in san francisco since friday afternoon.

re: Music in the glen, it's a composite of a few versions, I'm sure. Most likely Paddy Canny/Peadar O Loughlin and Fred Finn/Peter Horan. It's a tune that I just started playing one day after having heard it enough times, but it does jive with the way most other people I've played it with have it.

I'm quite fond of my C flute but the jury is still out. I can only play it for a few minutes at a time before my hands complain. It sounds great with my detuned fiddle, though. One of these days I will make a clip for youtube of my wife and I playing those instruments together.
William Bajzek
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

joshD wrote:OK,
I posted last week the Kerry Reel( AKA The Green Fields Of Rossbeigh) on YouTube. It's a common tune but it's goodie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojdr0lhBKMg

I made sure to put on my Duke shirt :D
Josh, nice one. Like the variations etc.

Kevin
joshD

Post by joshD »

John

I have to stop grabbing the wrong shirt!!!!

You missed the festival on Sat. Was a good time had by all. :)
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Go easy on me on those high Bs; after recording it I found that I used the wrong mark on my stick when I put the cork back in recently. I'm pleased with the performance and the recording, aside from the washing machine in the background.

Anyway, this is me after a while attempting to play with more of the embouchure hole covered. I admit, I may be a convert.

The Duke of Leinster / The Ladies Pantalettes

Compare this to the Big Pat's recording; the embouchure change is part of it, the subsequent applications of loc-tite helped a lot as well
William Bajzek
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

For proof about the cork, here's The Yellow Wattle and The Pipe on the Hob

Couple of mistakes, but lots of Cnat rolls for those who are interested in things like that.

Oh, the mic placement's not the same, so the tonal difference is due to that.
William Bajzek
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Here's another couple of massacres of good tunes:

Blackthorne Stick
http://www.box.net/shared/4ptjepjxm0
Da Auld Hill Grind
http://www.box.net/shared/lfn2s0exdd
Da Mirrie Boys of Greenland
http://www.box.net/shared/64sqeioi01

I am still having problems trying to get a consistent run through of any of these tunes without mistakes. The above takes are the best of about a half hour trying.

Edirol R1 on music stand just over a metre away. No processing.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.[/url]
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Two tunes, a hornpipe and a reel. A single take per tune, I just wanted to record them so that I can't forget them again. I don't have any names for them, so if anybody's able to help me out, I'd appreciate that very much :)

The strange sound in the background is my good auld desk chair, not an attacking UFO.

Hornpipe

Reel
Henke

Post by Henke »

Okay, here I go for the first time in this thread. Two tunes I hadn't played for a long time til a weeks ago. Both played on my Firth, Pond & Co. Cocuswood 8-key (I tuned it to around A=440 this time around). Both in first or second take (I was so impresed with myself that I nailed them reasonably well without warmup so I stopped recording at that point).
Tell me what you think. I know the beat is a little of at some points, and somehow I just feel like something is missing. I'm probably just not at the level where I can stand out well enough solo, I need some bloody accompaniment.

http://www.box.net/shared/6nb8h4lu6b
http://www.box.net/shared/lf6xle2e2f

The thing missing other than accompaniment is probably (yeah, you guessed it); the
whisky :P
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Chis

of the three tunes I think the boys of greenland works best. Timing and overall confidence seems better, nicely done.

For the blackthone I'd suggest you try to get hold of a recording of it that especially appeals to you. Try to play it using that phrasing and as closly as possible. Just as a learning execise at this statge. It sounds slightly loose on timing maybe rushed in places. Overall a good performance.

Generally listen and absorb as much as possible. Eventually the style that suits you which you like will come through. Just enjoy the journey.

Kevin
Last edited by gorjuswrex on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

William

Good stuff.
Yellow wattel was a different setting to I've heard before. Sounded more modern maybe?

Kevin
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Gabriel

I like your hornpipe a lot, very nicely played. I like the little kicks you give some of the notes.

Kevin
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Henke

My realplayer will not play that fomat file ,wma?,.

Are you able to load as a different format?