Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Akiba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Re: Posting clips

Post by Akiba »

JeffS wrote:I've been trying to work on glottal stops but I'm not sure I even really know that they are. I've been making a "Ch" sound while a play and trying to push slightly from the abdomen. Can someone tell me if they hear anything like a glottal stop on this track?

http://www.box.net/shared/c49q81o93a
Hey Jeff,

Sounds excellent--very pure drop sounding. You and the Olwell sound in great voice. I don't know what glottal stops are either and couldn't tell whether you were doing them or not--on a second listen I guess your glottaling rather than tonguing in certain spots, which sound good, strong emphasis without a 't' attack.

I like your cranns, too. How do you crann? (To crann or not to crann...)

Hope to see you soon.

Cheers,

Jason
joshD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by joshD »

Hey Arbo,

here is the setting I have of that tune. Not the best stab at it but should do the trick. Let me know your thoughts. Peoples suggestions are always welcome so fire away :)

http://homepage.mac.com/joshuadukes/iMo ... ter11.html
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

arbo, josh any name for that tune? i like it, sounds unusual. thanks for sharing it.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

That jig Josh is playing in his latest clip is one of Paddy Fahy's, which means that's the closest you'll get to a name for it.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

ah another fahy tune, thanks john
JeffS

Post by JeffS »

Thanks for the feedback akiba -

I cran by hitting the d then lifting the f#, then the e and back to d. I learned somewhere that that's one of the many possibilities for cran.

P.S. after December your plumb out of excuses for hooking up :lol:
"Where I came from, to get enough to eat was an achievement. To get enough to get drunk was a victory" (Brendan Behan)
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

joshD wrote:Hey Arbo,

here is the setting I have of that tune. Not the best stab at it but should do the trick. Let me know your thoughts. Peoples suggestions are always welcome so fire away :)

http://homepage.mac.com/joshuadukes/iMo ... ter11.html
Hey Josh,
Thanks for posting your setting of the Fahy tune. No disrespect intended, but I prefer my version. I shall try and incorporate your suggestions (tighten the triplet, carry notes through the measure, etc.) as I work it through. I value your input, and I think you're 'awesome.' I use that word specifically as I have recently learned there is a movement to abolish it!

All the best,
Arbo
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Josh

I liked your playing of that Fahy jig. I dissed your advice and had a go at learning it from your vid. I wouldn't call it a 'wired' setting but nicely quirkey. Don't worry I'm not going for a note for note learn from your setting though, that could be too devilish. :devil: I'm working on a few tunes now to try to up 'um and hope I get time to work on this as well. Thinking I might be using some back rooms at work too but if I'm caught I don't have the excuse that you have. I can't say it's part of my job.
joshD

Post by joshD »

No Problem Arbo. I liked your setting also. Thats one of the things I love about ITM. Things normally aren't the exact same replication and it's OK. Hope to here some more fluting from you in the future.

Josh
joshD

Post by joshD »

Thank you G,

I hope you are able to find a back room that wont get you the door prize. :D I am very fortunate to have the ability to play at work. Anyone else have that luxury?
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

joshD wrote: I am very fortunate to have the ability to play at work. Anyone else have that luxury?
I don't. Best I can do here is read Chiff and Fipple - but not even listen to clips, though, 'cause my 'puter here doesn't have a sound card. But on the other hand, no one here is watching my stream. It's a trade-off.
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Josh I am 'getting there' ! with the Fahy jig. I really like your playing of it.

Do you get a chance to play any ITM flute as part of your day job, i.e. in 'public' band displays? I remember the Edinburgh military tattoo this year had a trumpet solo by one of the band members. Something outside the normal military band repertoire. Jazz as far as I remember, then the rest of the band joined in. Very entertaining.
joshD

Post by joshD »

Unfortunately I don't get to play the flute at work in a official capacity. :cry:

I do have a couple of peeps that take lessons now and again who are excellent fifers. I am trying to turn them to the dark side!!!

No pun intended :D

Here is a new post of my new favorite jig. Let me know what you all think. :D We should get this thread rockin again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brNNCBPVFWA
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Yes Josh, you're absolutely right!
So, here's a tune from one of the many novices around here.
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/m2tfccsh3b
(the barlow knife)
joshD

Post by joshD »

Good stuff Arbo. That tune is played in Baltimore but only the first two parts. Will have to spread that third part around to the community! :thumbsup: