Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ElaineT
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Posting clips

Post by ElaineT »

What kind of flute are you playing, Josh? It has a lovely, bright sound. Looks like boxwood?
joshD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by joshD »

Hey Elaine,

It is boxwood, A Olwell Nicholson to be exact. :D

I have nothing but praise for this flute! I am in love with it........ which is what your going for when looking for a instrument if you ask me. :thumbsup:
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

Gee this is a cool thread. I haven't looked at it in awhile and can't remember if I sent anything in. (and my computer won't let me look into all 110 pages..) It reminds me of how a few years ago I used to surf the Clips and Snips for tunes and how the different posters sound!

Nifty jig Josh, must give it a try out. Its also the way you are playing it of course! Also via your link a couple posts up the page, I found that Mulcahy family masterclass which you'd put up - wow! it sounds brilliant and a large part of it I think was Mick Mulcahy playing for dancers? What was the focus of the masterclass? (Cat were you there too?)
joshD

Post by joshD »

It was at the Catskills Irish Arts Week. The three of them sat down and played tunes for us in a semi circle. It was awesome!!!! :o I wish more people would get back into posting clips.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I second the comments on the lovely sound of Josh's boxwood Olwell! grand stuff!

Here's a recent clip from me - the flute isn't anything special - a quite nice but not especially powerful late C19th anonymous English pillar-mounted 8-key I've recently finished doing up...... Rudallish style flute, small-medium toneholes, quite good intonation, sweet and light in the hands, but no real oomph - will make someone a very decent improver's keyed flute, though. The tune (Bunker Hill) is one that's been discussed on the board a couple of times in recent months, which drove me to learn it. I'm glad I did.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Well played Jem.

I remember a previous posting of yours with a similar feel to it. To me they both have a good bit of an 'Altan' type of feel to them. I made a similar comment for the previous tune, sorry I can't remember what tune it was. They both seem to fit you well.
joshD

Post by joshD »

Good stuff Jem. I have always said I will learn that tune. The bar has now been raised! :o
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Thanks guys! The main influence on how I play it would be the Arty McGlynn recording of it, really (Lead the Knave album) which is where I know it from aurally, but had never looked to play it until Tiff/Matahari brought it up back in the Autumn - I've been chundering away at it ever since.........
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Nice going, Jem! Your C rolls sound great. I still can't get those in that B part yet but I'm still plugging away at them. Thanks for posting that.
~Tiff
joshD

Post by joshD »

Hey all!
I just put up the Thrush in the Storm via you tube. I love this tune and has become a go to reel at the session for me. I find it a bit notey to be one of those tunes that are born for flute players. :o But that being said, I love it on the flute and have heard a couple of settings that I love. It would be great if some of you posted your settings of it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsWCnJoLdgc
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Here are a few oddments:

First, on the silver flute, the Jug of Punch. This isn't a very serious recording, just me foolin' around.

Next, what I think is a better version of the B-flat hornpipe The Mountain Top than any I have previously done. This is in B-flat major, makes extensive use of the keys, and is a work in progress. This is on my Hamilton 6-key.

Finally, if you'll forgive me one tune that isn't played on flute, here's a reel I've really been working on getting whipped into shape--and please forgive the really bad pun as well :twisted: -- here's the Flogging Reel, including a variation I picked up from a recording that Peter did of it some time ago.

I think this thread is great, by the way...and I'm amazed at how large it's gotten. Good stuff everybody! :)

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

joshD wrote:Hey all!
I just put up the Thrush in the Storm via you tube. I love this tune and has become a go to reel at the session for me. I find it a bit notey to be one of those tunes that are born for flute players. :o But that being said, I love it on the flute and have heard a couple of settings that I love. It would be great if some of you posted your settings of it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsWCnJoLdgc
Great tune, Josh! Very nice tempo and flow. That's one I'd like to learn in the near future.

So, are you really ambidextrous or do you just sometimes upload your video clips backward? :D
~Tiff
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

joshD, very well played sir! You have tremendous power and drive in that tune...that's now on my list to learn.

jem, well played as always. I can feel you fighting to try to get more power out of that flute--I'd love to hear you play that tune sometime on a flute that will really sing for you. That tune is also now on my list to learn.

I'll try to catch up with some more of the recent clips as time permits.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
andyras3

Post by andyras3 »

Hi Folks,

I have enjoyed visiting this thread but the level of playing displayed is pretty high.

So in responding to Josh's request for more participation.

I've set up a Podbean account similar to Michael Clarkson's, seems easy to mange, I'd probably like to add tunes to it as an aide memoir anyway.

I'm recording straight to my laptop mic, but I'm not sure if spending money on usb mics and the such would improve my flute playing.

Have a listen to my first offering, you might be able to hear an episode of Heroes in the background :).

http://andyras.podbean.com/

ATB

Andy
julians

Post by julians »

I thought I'd have a first go a posting some clips. See http://www.suddaby.net/irish_flute/

I've been particularly struggling with getting "The Ash Plant" up to speed and sounding OK. Any tips? I may be going faster than I should at this stage (I'm pretty much a beginner). All criticism is welcome!

Julian