Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
matahari_1946
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Posting clips

Post by matahari_1946 »

Dr Funkenstein wrote:Longtime listener, first timer caller (err.... poster?). :) I've been really enjoying this thread the past few weeks and decided I should finally post something. Loving all the clips by the way!

Here's a jig I got from Mike Rafferty when he taught in Milwaukee in 2005 called "The Woods of Old Limerick." I'm still working on his mid c# to low D ending phrase solid, but have been using a work around for a while now (think he plays the phrase EFD EAG|EDc D3|).

http://www.box.net/shared/yn449525zs

--Jeff
Nice one, Jeff. I can hear a Rafferty-esque quality in this. Thanks for posting this tune, I like it very much!
~Tiff
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Bothrops wrote:
matahari_1946 wrote:I haven't posted one here for a while. Here's what I've been enjoying playing for the last few days:

Boys of Balisodare

I learned this one from Mike Rafferty this past summer. A nice, happy reel. :)
Flawless!!

You have the rhythm in your veins! I loved it.
Thanks Martin! This is a tune that lends itself well to that chugging sort of rhythm.
~Tiff
joshD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by joshD »

matahari_1946

Nice stuff! Very nice jift and pulse in your playing. That is another tune I need to learn. So many tunes so little time. :(
joshD

Post by joshD »

Dr. Funk

Nice tune man. I think I have heard this played on Martin Reilly's CD. I could be wrong but I think so. The version they play is a bit different but so close. Sweet set of notes!!!!
joshD

Post by joshD »

Hey Akiba,

How long have you guys been together playing? It is so hard getting a group together and practice. Good luck with everything. It sounds like you are on your way. :)

By the way, what is your background? Did you play silver flute prior to playing the Irish flute?
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

joshD wrote:Hey Akiba,

How long have you guys been together playing? It is so hard getting a group together and practice. Good luck with everything. It sounds like you are on your way. :)

By the way, what is your background? Did you play silver flute prior to playing the Irish flute?
Thanks, Josh, for the feedback. I very much appreciate it.

Playing together for a couple months.

Yes, I played classical and jazz on silver flute. Am, in fact to my surprise, getting back into silver flute and getting gigs playing classical, small group chamber music. Just love playing the flute. My main interest is Irish, though. How could you tell, and does it make a difference to you in re: to ITM? I'm interested in serious critique; don't worry about hurting my feelings/ego.

Cheers,

Jason
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Dr Funkenstein wrote:Longtime listener, first timer caller (err.... poster?). :) I've been really enjoying this thread the past few weeks and decided I should finally post something. Loving all the clips by the way!

Here's a jig I got from Mike Rafferty when he taught in Milwaukee in 2005 called "The Woods of Old Limerick." I'm still working on his mid c# to low D ending phrase solid, but have been using a work around for a while now (think he plays the phrase EFD EAG|EDc D3|).

http://www.box.net/shared/yn449525zs

--Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Definitely dig the "pure drop" quality of your tone, and the solidness of your beat/rhythm. Well done. :D
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

http://www.box.net/shared/mqfd5og5qs

Great tunes. I've not shared in a while, so I thought I'd share this one after spending the morning playing my keyless Olwell Pratten. It's one I learned a long time ago off a Seamus Eagan CD in a medley of reels titled Maids of Galway. If anyone knows its name, I'd appreciate it.

I haven't been playing much lately. Hope it sounds okay.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Jason: I like your playing, very relaxed and flowing. I can hear from your tone that you come from the silver flute, I guess, but that's not a bad thing, it makes your tone very balanced over the different octaves, a matter I constantly struggle with...your tuning is also very good, you must have a very good ear!
The guitar accompaniment is not my cup of tea to be honest, too much strumming IMO. But keep it up, it will all come together eventually!

Tiff: Lovely tone and pulse, reminds me a lot of the northern style. The tune is also a really nice one, I learned it from my band's fiddle player, but with a slighty different setting. I actually prefer your setting!

Jeff: Nice and calmly with lots of lift, that's a lovely jig and nice relaxed playing.

Andy: the playback on your site is quite a bit distorted (I lstened to The Green Mountain), so I can't really comment on your tone, but your technique is really good (nice rolls) and you seem to be a real honker with your flute! The rhythm seems a bit waggly, but playing the flute alone isn't easy, so it will come with time.

Michael: Lovely tune, never heard it before, but I'd appreciate a name, too. Your playing is very good, nice tone from your Olwell and nice ornamentation and triplets. You've got a nice lift in your playing. I'd try to concentrate a bit more on a steady flow - I personally find it very difficult to play reels with a hornpipey lift and flowing melody. Finding a compromise is not easy, but manageable!
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Here are a couple of tunes just recorded - playing alone is always a bit difficult for me, trying to keep the rhythm steady and such...you probably know what I mean! :)

Aggie Whyte's, a tune I learned from german fiddle player Stefan Schneider. It starts just like Colonel Frazer's but then...nice one to fool pipers ;)

An Buachaillín Bán / The Fair-Haired Boy, a slow air I heard on the lovely recording "Callan Bridge" from the Vallely Brothers. Niall Vallely plays it in B-flat minor on the record, but I thought that it is better to stay well grounded...

Music in the Glen, a classic tune first heard from the Bothy Band. I play it regularly, it's simply a good tune.
andyras3

Post by andyras3 »

Gabriel,

Thanks for perservering with my tunes, I can't work out why they're distorted, but i'll have another go next weekend. My flute is starting to play well, It's a Hammy 10months old.

I enjoyed your tunes, I haven't heard an Aebi up close but you make that one sing very well. Very clear in your articulation of the phrases and the rythm of the tunes comes through nicely, well played.

Regards

Andy
frustrated by trying to get a decent flute recording onto the net..... aaaaggghhh
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Thanks for the comments, Gabriel. I love the Northern flute style so I suppose that's why I lean toward it. The setting is a flute setting since I learned it from Mike Rafferty so maybe that's why you prefer it to the setting you learned from your fiddler. :)

Wonderful clips above. I especially loved your clip of Aggie Whyte's. Never heard it before but I love the accidentals. You have a very nice tone. I thoroughly enjoyed listening.
~Tiff
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Well, here's one take of the crooked road to dublin. One take was all that my daughter would let me have while she worked on her homework (I don't know what kept her from accessing her own room, but that's another adventure!).
I am slowly working my way through all the recent submissions and will respond once I have given a proper listen. I am impressed so far....
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/fa6eeft6i2
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Arbo, your tone is incredible, your flute's barking better than any dog could! :D
Good lift on the tune as well. I didn't know that THIS one is the Crooked Road to Dublin. I know it simply as the Crooked Road and thought the one with Dublin in it is a different one. Now I know better!

Tiff, thanks for your comments. :) I'd love to take a lesson with Mike, but sadly, there's an ocean between us.
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

I've been having fun listening to these clips of everyone! I liked them all. Have got one of Josh's sitting here on my desktop to learn.. have to say Woods of Old Limerick which Jeff did, that's great, its a tricky tune! Tiff love your Boys of Ballisodare.

Well, I have these clips from the session I hosted in Nov, there are 6 clips here -
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=107984
this was the first time I ever actually had to lead a sess. I was *so* nervous esp that it was being taped! Usually I just sit back and join in with others..