Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Posting clips

Post by chas »

joshD wrote:Nice tone Chas :thumbsup:

In the jigs I was noticing when you take a breath it takes you a bit to get back on the rhythm train. Try tapping your foot to the track. Sounds good though and I enjoyed it. Such a great flute tune :)

The reel I though was nice also. There is one part were you threw a triplet phrase in there that didn't totally allow you to keep the rhythm train a-chugging smoothly but again I enjoyed it. Keep posting man :thumbsup:
Thanks very much for your helpful remarks, Josh, and for the encouragement. The triplet in the reel was purely a matter of two fingers not moving together. :oops: Hopefully the breathing will come along -- it's partly something I never mastered, partly a matter of having played mostly traverso the last year and needing to get used to that honkin' embouchure hole that takes so damn much wind after laying off so long. That flute is an Olwell all-rosewood Nicholson, pre-serial-number.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Ps I think the best way of improving is playin with better musicians
Yes, that's one of the best ways I know as well. Also playing session will help you get over your nerves and make a seasoned player out of you. Note that I didn't say you won't get nervous, because I think from time to time everyone gets nervous. What it will do is give you the ability to play well even when nervous.
Wot about some sort of standard feedback format
This might be a little intimidating...I get the feeling in this thread that most folks try to "feel out" where someone is at in their learning--and we're all learning--and give advice that hopefully means something and can help someone out. If we had some kind of standard scoring system, it would be very depressing to a new learner to get all 2's and 3's, for instance, where an advanced player might get all 8's and 9's even though he may still have issues that he's working very hard on. So if that's what you mean--and it may not be--I'm not sure it would potentially be as helpful as what we're doing already.

--- o --- O --- o ---

Chas, you did a good job. Nice tone. Ditto what Josh wrote, I think your breathing is throwing off the rhythm a bit. I thought the reel better played than the jig, actually. That's a wonderful jig, and really tricky to pull off.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
ImNotIrish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

Hi Guys,

Wot about some sort of standard feedback format, I agree that recording is one route to getting feedback and improving your playing, I suppose it can alos be difficult to take criticism.

Ps I think the best way of improving is playin with better musicians :)
(from Andy)
I noticed in your pre-edited post your had something proposed to the effect of a rating system. I do realize that is is difficult to give feedback. I fall into this category. But your idea is intriguing... Perhaps a simple format for things to address, such as tone, ornamentation, phrasing, rhythm, timing, tempo, tune selection, etc.? As James pointed out in an earlier comment, if we wait for a perfect take we'd probably never post....that given, let's see how we can offer the support and encouragement, yet still address the issues present in our playing.
Arbo
andyras3

Post by andyras3 »

Good spot Arbo, the reason I edited my post was that maybe it easier/better to encourage people rather than give them hard feedback..

Difficult, but I like hearing the different takes on tunes and the different stages of people learning as well....

Yeagh my original idea was to comment on the usual issues that flute players find in their path on the learning curve that is trad flute playing...

Hi James: I guess it's why I tamed my original post. It's a toughy with a messageboard, but I've enjoyed my interactions with you guys.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I've enjoyed my interactions with you guys.
Oh, me too! This thread is just outstanding...I wish I had time every week to dedicate to it, but it's a really sporadic thing with me, I'll have a couple of days I can post and contribute and then the real world intrudes...dang old real world! :swear: :lol:

Outstanding job, guys, and I'm talking about much more than just the flute playing: well done. :thumbsup:

--James

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Sigh, I wish I played flute and could be part of this great party :( Maybe in my next life.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Azalin wrote:Sigh, I wish I played flute and could be part of this great party :( Maybe in my next life.

Az, you gave me good advice on that tune, and I play the tune the better for it.

Sounds like you're part of the party to me, rather you're actually posting flute clips or not.

--James

-------
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Azalin wrote:Sigh, I wish I played flute and could be part of this great party :( Maybe in my next life.
Az,
I totally 2nd James!
Besides, you can always pick up a flute...
Rest assured, we 'give a toot!' :party: On!
Arbo
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Ditto what Arbo and James said (and thanks for your feedback, James!). I think it's quite possible for non-fluters to give great advice, and, personally I think the occasional non-flute post would be quite welcome. If I ever get my fret fingers back in shape, I just might do some of that. ;)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Well, thanks guys, but I tried picking up the flute a few years back and well it was just too hard for my mouth and embouchure, I gave up and picked up something else bouhouuhhhh..... But the flute is one of my favorite instrument so I love lurkin 'round here :-)
andyras3

Post by andyras3 »

Azalin wrote:Well, thanks guys, but I tried picking up the flute a few years back and well it was just too hard for my mouth and embouchure, I gave up and picked up something else bouhouuhhhh..... But the flute is one of my favorite instrument so I love lurkin 'round here :-)
Hi Az: I think it's one of those instruments that needs a lot of work and time esp at the start, it sounds like you have the motivation, you might just need a bit of instruction and more persistance... there's a whole lifetime of learning to be had...
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Well, I still remember what they told us when we started on the Boehm flute, that it will take a couple of years before you can make a tone that sounds good to you, and several years more after that before you start sounding good to anyone else! :lol:

Building tone on flute is first waking up muscles in your face and lips that you've never had a reason to use before, then building up their strength over time, and finally, once they are there, responsive, and strong, building up muscle memory as you learn how to use them to produce a good, solid, efficient flute embouchure.

For some people it's quicker. I've noticed that people who spend a lot of time imitating accents and facial expressions make a much faster job of getting to a good sound, so I suspect these activities have already got those muscles awake and under some degree of conscious control.

There are a lot of rumors that fly around about why this person or that person shouldn't play flute, usually things like their lips are too large, but in my experience almost anyone, given time and motivation, can learn, as long as the muscles and facial structures are intact and there are no nerves cut (which, unfortunately, sometimes happens in the process of routine dentistry). And the "big lips" nonsense that gets repeated is patently false, check out any picture of jazz flutist Hubert Laws to see some huge lips, and then listen to any of his recordings to hear some really delightful fluting.

So my point being, if you didn't give yourself but a few months, then you gave up way too soon.

--James

-------
joshD

Post by joshD »

I found that it took me almost no time to build my tone chops. I think it was because as a drummer, we would sing our parts at work as a section. This included triple and double tonguing. Who knew that those years that I was singing drum parts was secretly preparing me for the wonderful world of flute :D
joshD

Post by joshD »

chas wrote:
joshD wrote:Nice tone Chas :thumbsup:

In the jigs I was noticing when you take a breath it takes you a bit to get back on the rhythm train. Try tapping your foot to the track. Sounds good though and I enjoyed it. Such a great flute tune :)

The reel I though was nice also. There is one part were you threw a triplet phrase in there that didn't totally allow you to keep the rhythm train a-chugging smoothly but again I enjoyed it. Keep posting man :thumbsup:
Thanks very much for your helpful remarks, Josh, and for the encouragement. The triplet in the reel was purely a matter of two fingers not moving together. :oops: Hopefully the breathing will come along -- it's partly something I never mastered, partly a matter of having played mostly traverso the last year and needing to get used to that honkin' embouchure hole that takes so damn much wind after laying off so long. That flute is an Olwell all-rosewood Nicholson, pre-serial-number.

Hey, I just sold an all rosewood Nicholson Olwell. What a kick ass flute that was. El-Naturale!!!! :D
drewr

Post by drewr »

Here's a recording of me playing "The Graf Spey", a multi-part reel I learned at a Chris Norman workshop a month or so ago. Recorded this morning on a Dave Copley delrin with a Samson CO1U mic and NO reverb/processing. I've been playing just over a year and I think this is about the toughest tune yet. Try to ignore the fact that I speed things up near the end. My timing is always terrible without a metronome.

http://www.box.net/shared/sr80qve369

Thanks for all comments.