Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Posting clips

Post by Gabriel »

Congrats, Josh!

Here are three clips I recorded for actually posting them in a new thread for all the people who insist on the assumption that a flute defines the tone, not the player. Playing quality isn't that good...it's just about the tone.

Flute 1

Flute 2

Flute 3

You might want to guess which one represents which style of flute (1st Pratten, 2nd Rudall, 3rd Firth/Hall/Pond), but the boring bit is that they're actually all the same. I decided not to post that in a new thread since I'm not interested in causing too much controversy...so anyway, here they are. ;)

Best, G.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Here's a slip jig that I love playing. It's played at a very casual pace.
Arbo
http://www.box.net/shared/uz6ghs8trs
(the choice wife)
joshD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by joshD »

Thanks everyone for your kind words :)

Gabriel, you sly dog :lol: It probably is better that you didn't. It is a very good point though and would have been interesting to see the responses to it. Great tone by the way :thumbsup:

Arbo,

great tune dude! We play that around my parts all the time. Sounds like you are getting better and better all the time. Right on :thumbsup:
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

joshD wrote:Hey Kev,

Sounds like you slipped up once or twice on the rhythm but I enjoyed listening to it. I would love to learn more Fahy tunes. They are great but not normally flute friendly :( Have you got any others?
Yes I think the timing would be better now. I don't have any more Fahy tunes AFAIK sorry to say.

Kevin
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I think I may have put this up before, but in case I didn't....
Three reels: Elsie Brogan's/ unknown/ Pigtown Fling.
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/9vcldnu85a
drewr

Post by drewr »

In memory of Flook's recent demise, here's my version of "Gentle Giant" from their Flatfish album on a Dave Copley delrin.

http://www.box.net/shared/vgxblidiyt

-
maracirac

Post by maracirac »

arbo, your unknown reel is lady montgomery reel, as altan played it .
marin
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

maracirac wrote:arbo, your unknown reel is lady montgomery reel, as altan played it .
marin
Thanks for that! Wow, Croatia... geez, it really is a global phenom.... this Irish music thing....hmmm.
Arbo
joshD

Post by joshD »

Wow!!! :o

Dude......Arbo.... That is a wicked pic of yourself!
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

joshD wrote:Wow!!! :o

Dude......Arbo.... That is a wicked pic of yourself!
Yeah, and can you believe I ACTUALLY teach young children? Better get your kid acclimated early!
Arbo
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

ImNotIrish wrote:Here's a slip jig that I love playing. It's played at a very casual pace.
Arbo
(the choice wife)
This tune was first published in 1801 (I think) in O'Farrell's National Tutor for the Irish or Union pipes as "O'Farrell's Welcome to Limerick", with 6 parts. Other than the dropping of the 6th part, it's actually very similar to the way it's still played.

Seamus Ennis coined the name An Phish Fluich for it in an attempt to illustrate the difference between irish music and parlour music...

When a recording of Willie Clancy was going to be published in North America, the publishing company found out what that name meant and "cleaned it up" by calling it the Choice Wife.

I think it's a dumb name personally, and since we know it's supposed to be called O'Farrell's Welcome to Limerick, presumably because he wrote it or at least made up the version of it that he published, I like to provide the history and hopefully influence the return of the original title.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

NicoMoreno wrote:
ImNotIrish wrote:Here's a slip jig that I love playing. It's played at a very casual pace.
Arbo
(the choice wife)
This tune was first published in 1801 (I think) in O'Farrell's National Tutor for the Irish or Union pipes as "O'Farrell's Welcome to Limerick", with 6 parts. Other than the dropping of the 6th part, it's actually very similar to the way it's still played.

Seamus Ennis coined the name An Phish Fluich for it in an attempt to illustrate the difference between irish music and parlour music...

When a recording of Willie Clancy was going to be published in North America, the publishing company found out what that name meant and "cleaned it up" by calling it the Choice Wife.

I think it's a dumb name personally, and since we know it's supposed to be called O'Farrell's Welcome to Limerick, presumably because he wrote it or at least made up the version of it that he published, I like to provide the history and hopefully influence the return of the original title.

Well then, I suppose I should do my part and promote the correct historical title of the tune! Let it be done!
Arbo
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

ImNotIrish wrote:Well then, I suppose I should do my part and promote the correct historical title of the tune! Let it be done!
Arbo
:) 1 down, 537,206.00 left to go (estimated). :twisted:
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

NicoMoreno wrote:
ImNotIrish wrote:Well then, I suppose I should do my part and promote the correct historical title of the tune! Let it be done!
Arbo
:) 1 down, 537,206.00 left to go (estimated). :twisted:
That number seems a little low to me, but what do I know?
Arbo
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Long time since last time I came here..

In the last 3 months I think I played my flute 4 or 5 times (yes, condemn me!).
Anyways, I'm starting to play again, everyday..

It seems that it was good for me being away from the flute for so much time. In the last few days I picked it up and almost always was able to get quite a decent tone. I couldn't believe it!
Sometimes I cannot get a perfect tone, and it's more breathy, but at least I'm being capable of getting A TONE always! YAY! (lol :P )

I recorded a tune with my laptop (so it's not the best quality), but here we go...

Rolling in the ryegrass (played on my delrin Forbes flute)

http://bothrops.xanga.com/audio/a7dc13474170/
Last edited by Bothrops on Wed May 06, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.