THE GREAT UILLEANN YOU-TUBE THREAD.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: THE GREAT UILLEANN YOU-TUBE THREAD.

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I must be confusing Duke Gordon with the Salamanca. :tomato: :tomato: :tomato:
In fairness, they're similar and Ennis usually played them together. And more often than not he botched the transition by mixing them up.

I usually take tunes uploaded to my box account down after a while, not much to see there.
My brain hurts

ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

I think there is a clip of himself playing one of those two tunes (Duke Gordon I think, but it said Hand me Down) around 1981.

It is briefly see in the great documentary about him Ó Bhéal Go Béal: Séamus Ennis.

Does anybody have that clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrXsmfmqcFA

This clip though is one of my favorites. It's what got me into uilleann piping, even flat sets too. Some squeaks and missed octaves, but full of heart and expression, can't count how many times I've watched it (Hundreds maybe) I still find new stuff I never heard before.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

He played those two quite often. Anyhow, you really want to listen to his piping when he was really on the form, for Hand me down the Tackle(and into My Love is in America) probably the recording at Tom Queally's during the 1958 Fleadh in Miltown.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
My brain hurts

ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Mr.Gumby wrote:He played those two quite often. Anyhow, you really want to listen to his piping when he was really on the form, for Hand me down the Tackle(and into My Love is in America) probably the recording at Tom Quelly's during the 1958 Fleadh in Miltown.

Here's a copy, a bit of a low res MP3 (I have better copies of the recording but this was handy)

Hand me down the Tackle/My Love is in America _ Ennis 1958

I've just ordered The Return from Fingal (And The Pure Drop) to expand upon my collection. :D
He sure was an amazing player when he was younger! What was his illness again?

I've mostly heard recordings of him in the later years, still wonderful as always though.
The Wandering Minstrel being one of my favorites. Kind of eerie to listen to though, too long to explain why though, but that's one of the reasons I love the Album! (Someone talked about a voice sound heard while he was playing tunes, which apparently came from the chanter)
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Nic

Post by Nic »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ewvQYs1NQ

Marc Guilloux on a 4 regs B set !
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

PJ
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG3T_Co9fSs

Dicky Deegan playing some reels.

Very colorful playing.

Jleo Fipple

Piping by Lirman

Post by Jleo Fipple »

boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Na Piobaire Uilleann Gradam Ceoil

...an honour bestowed on NPU

TV programme featuring Liam O'Flynn, Gay McKeown, Tommy Keane, Noel Pocock, Dave Hegarty, Nollaig MacCarthaigh, Sheila Friel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvhgnDHSoec

....nobody said this would be easy......

john

Post by john »

big davy put up a link to mcgoldrick, mcsherry and a guitarist playing a set of tunes, a slow one then 2 reels - they sound fantastic, could anyone help me out with the names? i'd really appreciate it
john

Post by john »

the womad piper is none other than james o'grady on his williams set
john

Post by john »

lots of young boys playing on ronan browne's own youtube site - lots of tiny hands straining, but successfully, to play ginormous flat chanters - what an opportunity, getting your start on the pipes from such a master.
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ0VV_TyX6M

Japanese piper.

Some annoying foreign noises sometimes.

Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I removed the old version of two films I had posted to YouTube and tried to improve the sound. This new versions have been EQ'd and are now louder also. I know it doesn't sound like it but it is actually an improvement. I hope you enjoy them!

Music of Ireland - Volume 2: Willie Week - 1987
http://youtu.be/YvbKcuo2f9E

Miles & Miles of Music - Seamus Ennis - 1975
http://youtu.be/qdeNcyJT4z4