Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Elvellon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Posting clips

Post by Elvellon »

My first clip posting.
Okay day, bad microphone, worse patience to play multiple takes :). This was for a lacal Russian-speaking clip posting thread.
Streaming:
We Won't Go Home Till Morning polka
The Moving Cloud reel
The Battering Ram jig
The Silver Spear reel

Feedback appreciated.
My real name's Roman
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

A pair of jigs on an antique Low Bb 8-key Flute. (The White Petticoat and The [other] Lark in the Morning)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Trip- wrote:hope you find it enjoyable. :)
Philip.

Nicely done, Philip. Smart arrangement, nice transition between the tunes. Very adept on the second tune in A, which so many fluters are terrified to play in performance. You handled it really nicely.

I *love* the bit on the piece of paper Uri picks up at the end of the video. I wondered whether you'd just leave it there! Nice.

Question: the mic work is too good for live, so clearly you were "syncing" it, right? If so, use of live background sounds was a nice touch. If not and it's in-fact *live,* then I really need your mics!

One minor suggestion to consider next time: I thought you'd have done better sitting on the other side of the bench, switching sides with the fiddler. Not only would you be facing toward your playing partners rather than away from them, but your guitarist, poor fellow, wouldn't appear to have flute and fiddle neck/bow cramming his space.
Again, minor point.

Very nice work. :thumbsup:
Elvellon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Elvellon »

One more, with almost my good sound I think :).
http://yadi.sk/d/ydSQeWDu24ktq Brosna slide
My real name's Roman
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Another one on the low Bb flute - which has now been repadded and cleaned up a bit so should be playing better. I've recently learnt these two reels - just about got them under my belt and my own take on them is developing: Mayor Harrison's Fedora & The Bear Island Reel

I wonder about Soundcloud's audio protocols, though - I recorded this further from the phone than previously to try to reduce breath hiss and boom (not that I was close before) - and maybe achieved that a bit, but ended up with a muddier overall sound. This is the same phone in the same room as I record my YouTube clips - which don't seem to have the same problems, so is it Soundcloud's processing?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

jemtheflute wrote:so is it Soundcloud's processing?
Since you have a box.net account, why not upload the file there and check if the box.net player gives a different result?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

MTGuru wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:so is it Soundcloud's processing?
Since you have a box.net account, why not upload the file there and check if the box.net player gives a different result?
Separate technology, MTG - I don't have the Soundcloud tracks as audio files pre-upload - they only exist on that service. I doubt downloading them and re-uploading them elsewhere would prove much. One would have to create a clip (or use an existing one) by other means and upload to both to compare.... But I know things I upload to Box.net don't get distorted - they wouldn't - they're copies of the original file - as good (or not) as the gear they were made on - no compression, SFAIK. Soundcloud does the actual recording straight to the Cloud from the app. I don't think you can save the temporary audio inboard - you either upload or delete. Videos sent to YT are made by the onboard facilities of the phone, then compressed according to YT's protocols. I haven't tried uploading other material of mine to Soundcloud to compare, but I have heard other folks' stuff from prerecorded material which sounds great, so maybe it's just the direct stuff - the audio specs of the recording part of the app or the upload or both/the combination. It's convenient doing the direct thing, which is why I've started using SC. Given the YT videos' sound is OK, I doubt the problem is with the phone per se.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

jemtheflute wrote:Soundcloud does the actual recording straight to the Cloud from the app.
Aha, you see ... That's just evil. Nebular necromancy.

Abjure this rough magic, break thy staff, and bury thy phone fathoms in the earth, deeper than did ever plummet sound.

:P
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Cripes! Is it really that bad? :boggle: :swear:

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gorjuswrex »

Philip- I'll add my praise too. Great playing and a great band. I would like to see you play the first tune twice through as a flute solo as it is such good playing, but I guess that could be me being a trad head. To appeal to a wider audiance it could make good sence to keep it as the once round.

Tomo- Beautiful playing from the two of you. I love your style and approach. An interesting contast in approach with the more high power, maybe more modern one from Philip and his band. You and your wife make sweet music together, very well chosen!

Kevin
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Hello all...
here's something I shared with our little internet flute group.
https://www.box.com/s/51b2plrgwe76c2a6vdmy
Played on my original Hudson Pratten.
Cheers, Arbo.
Trip-
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Trip- »

Kevin and everyone else, thank you very much! It is so much appreciated, especially in our little scene here.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Just found this in the files, and thought it worth sharing.
A lovely slow air.... don"t recall where I got though....
https://www.box.com/s/5r0evvsrceumlmi0bo8i
Arbo
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

While we're on slow airs, by coincidence I just did this (Tommy Peoples' An Feochan) - on low Bb flute again.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
StefD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by StefD »

It's one of the first warm days in spring and so I spend the day walking over the hills and along the river Rhein. Back home I felt like it was the right time to play some tunes. I made some recordings. Nothing special at all but I thought it has a nice energy inspired by all the sunshine, water and fresh air ;-)

The first one is a breton slow air followed by a reel called 'Crossing The Shannon' I think.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45560466/Intern ... ello's.mp3

Two jigs. The first one is a composition of Paddy Fahy and the second one is jig I don't have a name for. Maybe one of you can help?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45560466/Intern ... Fahy's.mp3

At last three well known reels: 'The West Wind', 'Limestone Rock' and 'Humours Of Loughrea'.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45560466/Intern ... 20Wind.mp3

Hope you enjoy and maybe one of you can help me finding a name for the jig.

Cheers,
Stefan

'...whatever went in as a tradition, comes out as a tradition.'

http://www.crosswind-music.de