Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Didja ever find one of those tunes that just spoke to you?

A few days back I was practicing sightreading, going through the Ossian O'Carolan book, and I came across Mrs. Crofton. It has a few accidentals in it, D#'s in all three octaves, so I'd never tried it on a keyless flute. This was recorded on maybe my fifth or sixth time through it, so it's not even played cleanly, nevermind polished. Hopefully before too long, I'll get a chance to record it again, at which point I'll replace this recording.

http://www.box.net/shared/5kagau493s

The dots:

Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gorjuswrex »

Roma

Is this a different recording of Thrush in the morning?

Kevin
rama
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

kevin,
the original clip i posted a few months ago had "thrush in the morning" followed by "wind that shakes the barley" (the version e. cotter recorded) but someone said the clip was too long to download, so i cut it in half, so that 'shorter' clip has stayed here a while now, as is.

jem,
thanks for the support.
the "meditate" clip is obviously a "new age/relaxation/mood" genre type piece, maybe quite different than what you might be accustomed to, but it is something i am quite familar with and enjoy. i don't find it distasteful. and as it's an original piece, sort of an experiment for me, using the wooden b-flat flute in a different settings other than itm. it's been fun to explore a bit. maybe someone else might enjoy it too. i've done other stuff with the b-flat flute and hope to do more in the near future.
interesting, there are one or two places where two tones at once are played in that clip. kind of cool when that happens.
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

[quote="rama"]kevin,
the original clip i posted a few months ago had "thrush in the morning" followed by "wind that shakes the barley" (the version e. cotter recorded) but someone said the clip was too long to download, so i cut it in half, so that 'shorter' clip has stayed here a while now, as is.
Thanks Roma

I thought I prefered the playing on the earlier post, maybe I'm confused? you're going to tell me it's the same recording? :lol:

Kevin
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

yeah, the more you listen to it, the worse it sounds. in a few days it should completely suck!

i enjoy your clip, that's sounds like an unusual tune, seems challenging, good job. i'm not familar with it, does it go by any other name? and what flute are you playing, if you do't mind me asking, it sounds interesting?
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Thanks Roma

The Jig is one of Paddy O'Brien's (Tipperery Box player). I have only heard it from a group of girls in Cambridge England, and then only once. They played it nice and inspired me. As I had no recording I had to learn it from the dots. I'd love to hear if anyone else knows of a recording or plays it. It has f nats and b flats in it as accidentals. Maybe Eileen O'Brien might have recorded it? It unusal as a lot of Paddy O's tunes are. I think it's a great tune. I often follow it with Caddy's fancy a better know Paddy O tune. It full name is Foggerty's Fancy, that's what Paddy called it. Don't think it's got any other name.
I recorded it while I was a bit chesty, you can't normally hear me breathe so much!Recoeded on to sharp mini disc and transfered onto P.C.
I'm playing a late 8 key Boosey pratten . I think it's made around 1910.

Kevin
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

Dear Rama: nice playing. I liked the meditation thing. So I offer this, with thanks, from the golden years of The Platters:
I'd like to the thank the guy
who wrote that song that made my baby fall in love with me

who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong
who put the bop in the bop shoo bop

who was that man, I'd like to shake his hand
he made my baby fall in love with me
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I haven't posted since well near the beginning. Here's one common tune and one I've not heard very often:

Claire Jig: http://www.box.net/shared/39tlamd9nx

East of Glendart: http://www.box.net/shared/jqkf3dt8g1

I hope I did this right.

Eric
brotherwind

hi

Post by brotherwind »

Jayhawk wrote:I haven't posted since well near the beginning. Here's one common tune and one I've not heard very often:

Claire Jig: http://www.box.net/shared/39tlamd9nx

East of Glendart: http://www.box.net/shared/jqkf3dt8g1

I hope I did this right.

Eric

This is absolutely incredible. You saved my day. Last weekend I met some friends for an informal session. And bits of the Clair Jig were spinning in my head all this morning. Yet, I could not identify it. I rarely browse through the clips-section. But man, your posting it saved my day. No more searching. Thanks a lot!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Thanks for posting, Eric. Your tone sounds good and strong - very nice - but it seems to me you are pushing too hard and not having enough breath to sustain your phrases as well as you might, so sometimes you rush a bit and elsewhere you play rather jerkily. Try practicing playing quieter to develop the breath control and embouchure focus to play longer phrases more relaxedly.
On The Clare Jig 1st bar - eAA f#AA - you need to play both the pedal As, I think, whether by tonguing/"glottaling" the second one or tapping or cutting it - you could use a mix of all three at different times when that pattern comes around, but the pedal repetition of the note is important to the feel of that tune. East at Glendart flows better but is perhaps a little fast? I think the tune title is "AT", not "OF", BTW and FWIW.
Hope that is helpful!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
pandscarr

Post by pandscarr »

The jig's a great tune. I know it as The Jug of Brown Ale - anyone else call it that?

Pamela
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

pandscarr wrote:The jig's a great tune. I know it as The Jug of Brown Ale - anyone else call it that?

Pamela
Yes I do.

Rgds
rafa
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Daniel E

Post by Daniel E »

Hello to all, here keeping with my baroque liking I put this little piece by Telemann, I think not exacly played as it should but its a very singing piece , hope someone like it, I was already starting to play it better then I found out the the very harsh sounding forked 2nd #G that is repited some times was in better tune closing the 6th hole so that made me some how more dificult to replay it now,

Best regards

Daniel
http://www.box.net/shared/zm84gn0av6
Daniel E
pandscarr

Post by pandscarr »

rafa -
The Asturian air, and your playing, is gorgeous! The title, when downloaded, says it's in Eflat - were you playing it on an Eflat flute or playing the accidentals on a fully keyed D flute?

I liked the reel as well.

Pamela
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Thanks indeed Pamela, shame that my wife doesn't think so. She's rather in the mood that my playing is rather annoying. So she closes the door, then I blow harder and she puts on the radio. Then I blow harder and she slams all doors :twisted:

It's a flute in Eb(ish). It's actually a vintage 5-keyed Martin Freres French cocus flute in D that was absolutely unplayable when it was passed to me. With patience and the valuable help of smoro (chiffer) the flute returned some of his playability but we had to change the pitch. The flute is slightly low (closed slide makes the flute in Eb if warm) and maybe some notes are a bit out of tune. Soon it'll be fixed. Still you have to use at least one key (two if you use C nat key for that sliding effect.)

Thanks for your comments again.
Rgds
Rafa
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere