Modes in ITM

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Modes in ITM

Post by david_h »

fiddlerwill wrote:If you cant play the guitar, learn, then spend some time backing tunes, recordings or live. This will give you a good insight into the practicalities.
I could, I did. It did - so I don't.

Edit to answer Will's question in the post below : I don't want to add chordal accompaniment to tunes. I put it in the 'usually not neccessary' and 'often not harmless' categories. Sometimes good to hear though.
Last edited by david_h on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
fiddlerwill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

david_h wrote:
fiddlerwill wrote:If you cant play the guitar, learn, then spend some time backing tunes, recordings or live. This will give you a good insight into the practicalities.
I could, I did. It did - so I don't.

you don't what? sorry, could you clarify.
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Hi Will,

I'll add one more post and try to explain what the problem I have is. Basically, I don't feel that people are able to have a discussion with you. You make declarative statements with no room for the possibility that you may be wrong and then when people tell you that they think you are wrong, you tell them that your greater experience is why you are right and that once they have as much experience as you they will agree with you.

The problem with this approach is that 1) It's circular argument: "I am right, if you don't agree with me, it's because you don't know as much as me, so I am right", 2) You don't anyone else's experience, and hence you are pre-judging everyone: "You disagree with me, so you must know less then me", and 3) Your years at it don't necessarily mean anything. As I've said before, I've met plenty of people with your experience (years, instruments and people) who don't understand irish music and don't have much knowledge of it.

So until you resolve these issues, we aren't going to be able to actually discuss anything. All that will happen is that you will make statements that other people view as wrong and they will tell you why they think you are wrong, and then you will use your trump card of "experience" and declare yourself to be correct.

However, I will in fact try to discuss these things with you, so feel free to prove that you are in fact willing to have a discussion!
fiddlerwill wrote:Nico, Im not trying to pull some 'trump ' card. Simply stating facts in
You posted in this thread your experience immediately after being disagreed with, in a manner that was intended to demonstrate that you and only you could be correct due to your experience. This is what I (and I assume most people) refer to as "a trump" or "trumping". You may not have intended it in that manner. If that's the case, then you should be aware that it is how it came across, and you should be more careful in the future.
fiddlerwill wrote:as a piper you should surely understand that the drones dont 'make the notes appear 'in a gapped scale. They provide those tones.
I am confused. You are saying the drones don't provide the notes, and then they do. Which is it? Either way, my opinion is that they don't provide the notes in a gapped scale (unless the missing note is a D!) Just to clarify, the uilleann pipes have three drones, all playing a D, each an octave apart. Please explain how this provides the missing notes in a gapped scale.
fiddlerwill wrote: As regarding the melody, Yes on its own its all that is needed, but to make the mistake to think that that is all there is? When its absolutely clear that there is much more than just the melody within the tradition.
We agree then. The melody on its own is all that is needed. Great! I'm glad you've come around to our point of view. As for the rest, the melody is all there is when a tune is played on a whistle or flute. The melody is all there is when it's played on the uilleann pipe chanter alone. The melody is all there is when it's played on the fiddle without any doubling extra strings being played. However a lot of a great fiddlers, pipers, box players, and concertina players will play additional notes, harmonies or even chords if you will. This is exactly why I said, and maintain, that being a guitar player is not required to understand these things. These players understand the modes and the chords required quite well. It does add something, more than a loud guitar playing full chords, in my opinion (which I acknowledge is not shared by everyone in the irish traditional music community).
fiddlerwill wrote:Anyhow. I don't know you nico, you don't know me, so perhaps your assumptions might be re-thought in that light
Will, please reread this sentence and think about how it applies to yourself. You don't know me, either. Either way, I do actually know a few things about you, from your many posts on here and thesession.org. Knowing more isn't really important, or even necessarily useful. Take the statements at face value and try to understand that you may not be right. That's what I do.
fiddlerwill wrote:So nico, you accuse me of inaccurate arrogant statements. , in your opinion. in fact? no, if so prove it.
I believe I have, a couple times. Your comment about the drones for instance. Your comments about keys and modes have also been proven wrong. You just don't accept that you are wrong.
fiddlerwill wrote:I am not arrogant. I simply know my subject.
I think you should perhaps educate yourself on the definition of arrogant. I too "know my subject" as I've studied this music for quite some time. Yet I don't make the mistake of assuming I am correct all the time and that I know all there is to know about it.
fiddlerwill wrote:Otherwise why should I take you seriously?
This is the nature of a message board. You judge the content of a post by its content. You don't need to know any more about me, you don't need to know who I have played with or where or for how long. Just like I do not need to know this about you. It is essentially irrelevant to discussions about the structure of the music. Furthermore it is fairly arrogant to provide all of these things, and then assume you are the most knowledgeable because of it. You don't know which of us is actually Mick O'Brien in disguise. So, no, I won't bother trying to "justify" myself by relating my experiences, because unlike you, I know it is irrelevant.
fiddlerwill wrote:You may well be a competent even good, brilliant piper, But does that qualify you to lecture me on chord patterns modes ? No it doesnt.
If I were a brilliant piper, why wouldn't it qualify me to discuss chords and modes? Please explain. My opinion is that a brilliant fiddler or piper would be very well qualified to discuss chords and modes, having no doubt played, listened to, studied and thought about chords and modes to a very large degree.

But why do you care if I try to justify myself at all? You have basically just said "prove yourself, but it doesn't matter if you do, you still aren't as experienced as me".
fiddlerwill wrote:As far as gaining respect! from a few online posers or middle of the road fiddlers!?! do you really think I care an ounce for your respect! No
Why are you online at all then? What is the point? If you care so little about anyone here, why even bother to post at all? There is no point in posting online if you have no respect for the people you are communicating with, unless your only reason is to be a troll.

Anyway, I'm done feeding, sorry to everyone that I contributed to this nonsense!
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

Nico, I am perfectly prepared for you to demonstrate that you are correct, but first you have to make a proposition. If your proposition is that , eg |Gillians apple is in G. Then what point is there in arguing over the matter? My experience in this field firmly indicates your assertion is incorrect. Further more all the facts support my position. The very fact that you argue demonstrates, IMO your lack of understanding. I am absolutely confident I am correct based upon 25 yrs of doing it in the field. That understanding is supported by the musicians I play with. Why on earth should I even consider your argument, if you have one, when you plainly dont know what you are on about?
You can call that arrogance, I call it experience. I really dont care who you are, your posts indicate firmly all I need to know.
But you mistake me, when I explain my credentials in this matter, its not to 'trump' you, its to make you think. You assert you are correct. fine back up your assertion with facts as I have done.

Demonstrate. How is a piece of music, starts and ends in D, uses D,A and as its underlying chord pattern, ends in D. In G? explain that.

Regarding the drones being in D? ! sigh, your a piper? ! you don't even know a basic fact about your own Instrument!? I am astonished , It makes me doubt you even play. You do play? How many years have you been a piper?

>>Your comment about the drones for instance. Your comments about keys and modes have also been proven wrong. You just don't accept that you are wrong.<<

LOL where? show us? exactly where have my comments been 'proved wrong' . demonstrate.

Just think, you can make me eat humble pie, acknowledge my mistake and lack of understanding simply by providing evidence.
Of course its possible I am wrong, so show us all here and now, demonstrate you actually know what you are talking about. Explain your understanding of modes in trad and why I am 'wrong'.

and your quote out of context is exceedingly misleading I go on to to say;;>>There are plenty people here who deserve and receive my respect because the remain open minded, curious, interested, Hans, MT, Loads of folk,not so full of them selves that their minds are closed like you and your ilk. They are pleasant good matured and friendly. People like that I have time for.

Sorry no offense meant nico but you dont come across as having any great understanding of your craft or the music or tradition. Forgive me if I am wrong, but thats my opinion. But anyhow, lets see it, demonstrate exactly where I have been 'proven wrong' otherwise I have no interest in engaging with you further.

IMO your are wasting all our time and disturbing this thread on modes in trad. IMO you and steve are both trolling. This discussion is about Irish music, not your opinion of someone you know nothing about. why not start a thread about your greviances and refrain from sidetracking this discussion further. thanks.
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
Nuggets

Post by Nuggets »

>>Just a thought, fiddlerwill, do you ever get up to Fermanagh? I'd be interested in hearing your accompaniment style>>

No, but Im aiming for Miltown next yr. Or if your in East Clare any time give me a shout, its tunes, tunes ,tunes ,here :) .
That's a pity. I haven't been to East Clare since before P. Joe died. Is Pepper's still going? Does your guitar feature on any recordings I'd be able to buy, fiddlerwill?
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Nico, we've done all we can. You and I have seen the damage Will caused to theSession, both in terms of its broken ethos over several years and in terms of those excellent members of the board who stopped posting because they couldn't take Will's constant trolling and the soured atmosphere he had generated. Not to speak of the cheating nature of his use of multiple identities. He is no different here, as you and I know, and the worry is that he hasn't even got started yet. One can only hope that the good sense of the Chiffers will prevail, and these warnings from people with bitter experience of him will take hold, and that they will refuse to respond from now on to any of his posts that contain blatant inconsistencies, lousy advice, bragging, exaggerations about his very limited skills and knowledge and all the dreary name-dropping. Unfortunately, that is nearly all of them.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

fiddlerwill wrote:Regarding the drones being in D? ! sigh, your a piper? ! you don't even know a basic fact about your own Instrument!? I am astonished , It makes me doubt you even play. You do play? How many years have you been a piper?

>>Your comment about the drones for instance. Your comments about keys and modes have also been proven wrong. You just don't accept that you are wrong.<<

LOL where? show us? exactly where have my comments been 'proved wrong' . demonstrate.
I'm sorry, perhaps you are indeed correct. It's certainly possible I don't know what I'm talking about. However, other than mocking my statement, you haven't offered a contradictory opinion about what note the drones play. Please educate me, I am willing to be corrected. What notes do the drones play?

I typed exactly where you were wrong. The drones do not fill in missing notes in a gapped scale. As you disagree, it is your responsibility to explain the mechanism by which the notes are filled in.

The rest of your post is nonsense, and if you are really interested in a discussion you should fix that. Thank you.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

I think I know what he's getting at about the drones, but I'm not sure it will settle the matter.
Come on Will, explain. Its only theory.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Locked pending moderator review.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician