Oiling pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
geoff wooff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Oiling pipes

Post by geoff wooff »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I've never heard of this book

Here's a PDF version:

Handbook for pipers

Ta much-ly!
oliver
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by oliver »

Thanks Geoff !
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

yes, a hearty thanks for that
Craigdup

Post by Craigdup »

Here's my experience with oiling the inside of a chanter.

After a conversation with a oboe and bassoon maker who oiled its instrument, I oiled my chanter as they do, with mineral oil. I actually taped all the holes of my chanter and literally filled the bore with oil and let it sit for a few minutes, filled with oil. I then let it dripped and wiped the inside with a clean cloth on, indeed, a kebab stick.

Here was the effect. My chanter is a D chanter in cocobolo. A very "light" wood, I find, very responsive, almost too much, like if the notes jump out of the chanter a bit too fast (to my taste). After the oiling, the chanter's tone became "darker", still in tune of course, but like if if the harmonics where less harsh or "in your face". To tell the the truth, I find and I've been told too that my D chanter has now the deep tone of a flat set. I think the oiling helped a lot in rounding up it's tone.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Craigdup wrote:...

After a conversation with a oboe and bassoon maker who oiled its instrument, I oiled my chanter as they do, with mineral oil. ...
Those instruments are "wet" instruments. Uilleann pipes are a dry instrument. I am assuming the maker did not oil the bore on that chanter... so why are you oiling the bore?

I would consider that chanter of lesser value now. But maybe that's just me.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Craigdup

Post by Craigdup »

The conversation I had with oboe guy was not about wetness per se, but about micro cracks in the wood in the bore. He said that mineral oil (and he was clear about this particular oil; it doesn't go tacky) would act as a filler for these micro cracks, thus smoothing out the bore and "healing" it, so it were.

As for the "value" of an instrument, I think it's all in the tone. If by empirical experimentation the tone is pleasing to the musician, well this instrument is of value. I wouldn't suggest oiling the bore as a standard now, of course (what do I know...), but my experience with my chanter proved to be very interesting.

It is, by the way, a 2012 Tim Benson D chanter. Piper Fiachra O'Reagan played it in comparison with his Andreas Rogge set and was very pleased with it. Tim Benson played with the chanter after the experiment and had nothing to complain about.

We don't need to be scared of oil on musical woodwinds, be them dry or wet, me thinks.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Triple tanks for the PDF, Mr. G!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Just for curiosity ... how many cracked chanters have y'all seen? (Yes, this is a real question.)

I ask because flutes crack quite frequently,* but again, I believe the main culprit is moisture -- the bores are affected by the constant condensation/drying cycles they're subjected to. Soaked interior wood cells expand faster than exterior cells, etc., etc. ... That's why you oil flutes.

Since chanters don't undergo such abuse, I'm wondering if there's a corresponding drop in incidences of cracking or splitting.

* Also, it seems they crack most frequently in the head and barrel, where the most moisture collects.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I ask because flutes crack quite frequently,* but again, I believe the main culprit is moisture -- the bores are affected by the constant condensation/drying cycles they're subjected to. Soaked interior wood cells expand faster than exterior cells, etc., etc. ... That's why you oil flutes.

Since chanters don't undergo such abuse, I'm wondering if there's a corresponding drop in incidences of cracking or splitting.

* Also, it seems they crack most frequently in the head and barrel, where the most moisture collects.
My understanding is that wood contracts/expands much more than metal, so when you put a wooden sleeve over metal, you're asking for trouble. This just happens to be the design of tuning slides on flutes, so when the air gets dry (like a Canadian winter, or, say in the cargo hold of a plane), the wood shrinks, but the metal doesn't, and so the wood cracks.
PJ